All That We Could Be

Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

With Fallon on tour, there was little time to do anything else. Most days Fallon was too tired. Usually the day after a concert, Fallon would rest and relax. The few days that she would get off, Fallon would spend on the track…or doing any activity that didn’t require too much energy.

The tour had been going on successfully. Nothing had gone wrong so far. The arenas had been full. Fallon couldn’t get past how many people had actually come. It surprised her each time.

Along with her on tour were both William and Christopher, and on some days even Cheryl came along. Fallon didn’t mind them as long as they weren’t hovering over her. She was tired of having to deal with their concerns. As much as she appreciated it…she was fine now. Even the doctor had told Fallon she could take the pills every other day. Another surprise was that the flowers kept on coming.

With everything going smoothly, soon Fallon settled into a routine. The exhaustion had become manageable.

Today was one of Fallon’s days off. She was driving to the store to pick up some groceries on her own. She had dealt with both William and Christopher. They had come over to ask if she wanted to go to the track. Fallon had been about to start her car when they had rapped her window.

“Fallon, we’re racing at the track. Do you want to come?” Christopher had asked once Fallon had pressed the button for her power window to go down. “Nope, not today.” Fallon had told him. “What?” William had asked loudly. “You never miss an opportunity to kill us on the track.” Christopher had told her. “Yea, well I need to do some stuff, and you guys need a break. I’ll see you both later.” She told them, finally starting the car. “Wait! We’re coming!” William had scrambled up to her window to say this. Fallon was too fast for the both of them. “No, you’re not!” Fallon said she hit the power-locks as Christopher made to grab the door. “I’m going for some alone time. See you both later!” She said with a wicked smile, pressing the button to make the window go up. She drove away from the guys. They looked quite irritated. They’ll get over it…-Fallon thought as she drove off.

Fallon had been going around a strip of stores for the last hour. She finally sat down on a bench to see what she had left to purchase. “Fruits, bread, milk, and chocolate spread…” Fallon read off of her list. Fallon sorted through her bags to see if there was anything else she was missing, when abruptly someone sat down.

“Sorry…” Fallon muttered quickly, as she moved her bags away from the person. “Not as sorry as I am.” It was a man’s voice.

Fallon looked up to see a morose Miguel. “Hello to you too…” She said…trying to act as though seeing him was nothing. Miguel looked at her. Fallon didn’t back down, and stared right back at him. “I should get going…I would say it was nice seeing you…but that would be lying.” Fallon said as she started to get up and gather her bags.

“Wait a minute. Aren’t you going to ask about Daniel and how he is?” Miguel asked. He looked slightly puzzled. Fallon thought about it before answering him. “Nope.” She said trying to be nonchalant. “Why not?” He asked her sounding puzzled. “Had I been the one to break up with him…maybe I would ask. Since I wasn’t…I don’t think I will. Besides you already know how he is.” She said sorting through her bags as she took hold of them and got up.

“Actually…I don’t.” Miguel said. Fallon looked up at him. That was news to her. He was Daniel’s cousin…they both lived together. How could he not know how Daniel was? Fallon may have been in another country but even then she knew what was going on back home with her family and cousins.

“Why are you telling me this?” Fallon asked the one question that was bothering her. “Because I thought maybe you could talk to him for me.” Miguel told her. “What? Why would I do that?” Fallon asked. “I’m betting you were the one who told Daniel that I was the problem. Why would I want to help you?” Fallon told him, she couldn’t believe he would think that she would help him after how he treated her.

“You have every right to be angry with me. I’m sorry for how I treated you during that dinner…but I can’t be sorry for telling Daniel what I thought. I was telling him my honest opinion.” He said. “So you did tell him?” She asked. Daniel had denied it when she had asked him. “Yes. I just didn’t want him to pass up his dream over a girl.” Miguel told her miserably. “At the time it seemed that he would have given everything up just to keep you.”

Miguel motioned for Fallon to sit back down. “No…I’ll stand…I’m not sure I want to listen to this.” She told him. “Well you should. You will, no doubt, be happy to hear that Daniel is no longer under my management.” He said to her in a blunt manner. “Why? I thought you had his best interests at heart.” Fallon asked, her words dripping with sarcasm. “Well…it’s embarrassing to admit…but it was my fault. He found out that Manchester United had actually asked me about him long before he signed with them. I just didn’t tell him.” Miguel said with regret.

“Why didn’t you tell him?” Fallon asked, a little angrily. “Because of you.” He said looking at her. “Because of me? Are you insane? What would I have said? I wanted him to get signed.” Fallon told him heatedly.

Miguel leaned back into the bench. He draped his arm along it. He took a deep breath. “Fallon, it wasn’t because I didn’t like you. Honestly, I’ve never told Daniel that I didn’t like you. I told him that I liked you.” He told her slowly. “Then what? What was it about me that you didn’t get him signed the first time?” Fallon asked, she couldn’t believe that today of all days she was stuck to deal with Miguel. Why did they have to run into each other?

“I didn’t tell him because…I didn’t want him to be signed because of you. I didn’t want there to be a WAG factor. He should be signed and criticized for his skills not for his girlfriend.” Miguel told her…his voice was rather quiet as he said this. Fallon was ready to blow up on him. “WAG factor? Really! Why would Manchester United even care if he dated me? They are an awesome team…they don’t need any more fame. And what did you think I was dating him for? I didn’t even know he was a soccer player! In fact I didn’t know about it until the day I ended up meeting you! Did you ever think…hmm…we were dating because maybe we liked each other regardless of our jobs; or that Manchester asked for him because he is a really good player?” Fallon told him heatedly, her voice rising. Some people who had been passing them by turned to look at them. Fallon smiled sweetly at them as they walked by. She then turned to face Miguel with a scowl.

“Look, I was just being protective of him. He’s like my brother. I just want what was best for him. I’m sorry that you got hurt…but don’t you think he got hurt too?” Miguel retorted.

“What are you saying?” Fallon asked quickly. “He didn’t want to give you up for his career. He would rather be with you than be on Manchester. You have no idea how long it took to make him see that it was better this way.” Miguel told her with fury. “Yea well, you got your way in the end. He told me I wasn’t good for him and he left. You should be proud.” Fallon told him icily.

“I made a mistake. I should have let him do what he thought was best. I should never have hid the offer from him. When he found out about Manchester’s previous offer and how I turned it down…he was furious with me. We haven’t talked since. He still lives with me…but I don’t even see him around the house. He changed agents…just because he could have had both you and Manchester United…just because I waited for the better offer from them…and for you to go.” Miguel was no longer angry…his voice had taken a sorrowful tone.

Fallon stood there not knowing what to say to him. “Fallon…I don’t care if you forgive me or not…I just want you to try to talk to him. Give him another chance. After he ended things with you…after he got signed to Manchester…he would hope to see you at the games. Even when he went to that night club…he would come back and tell me if he saw you perform…he was completely crushed when he saw you with some other guy. I know he still cares for you. If I hadn’t seen you today…I probably would have called you up. I want him to be happy…and if you make him happy…then fine I’ll learn to deal with papers and the whole WAG aspect of it.” He told her. Fallon couldn’t believe what he was saying…Daniel had looked perfectly fine to her when she had left with William; it had been so long ago. There still something that was bothering her.

“Okay…for the last time…I am not a WAG.” Fallon said through gritted teeth. “How can you say that?” Miguel asked her. “Do I look like one? No! Do I like to go shopping? No! Do I go to fancy parties? Nope! I don’t crave attention from the media or the paparazzi and I still have all my original parts…hence I am not a WAG!” She told him, she was quite annoyed to be referred to as a WAG. “Well with the amount of bags you are carrying…it’s not exactly convincing.” Miguel retorted.

“Yea…well…” Fallon brushed off his jibe. “If that’s all can I go?” She asked him. “Actually…I just wanted to ask…will you talk to him. I’m sure you both could be friends again.” Miguel said, he sounded hopeful.

Fallon thought about it. She didn’t want to be just friends with Daniel. That would be painful. Wanting the one thing you couldn’t have.

“I’ll think about it. Maybe I’ll talk to him. For what its worth…even if I forgive you Miguel…I won’t push him too. I want him to have that choice.” She told him.

Miguel nodded sadly. “I’m sure he’ll come around.” She told him. “You have no idea how long Daniel can hold a grudge…” Miguel muttered rather darkly. “Well maybe you learned a lesson, which is not to meddle in the lives of your players.” Fallon told him. “Yea.” He muttered.

“Good luck Miguel. I’m going to get going.” She said as she actually started to leave this time. “It was nice to see you, Fallon.” Miguel said as he got up. He walked in the opposite direction. “Liar.” Fallon muttered under her breath. The only reason he had even bothered with her…was just to patch things up between him and Daniel.

This brought her to the other more pressing question. Would Fallon try to become friends with Daniel? Fallon mulled over it as she walked to the Farmer’s Market that was at the end of the strip of stores. It had been such a long time since they had ended things…maybe it was time to try to be friends. If Fallon admitted to herself, she did miss him quite a bit. He was there in everything…from the songs she chose…all the way to the vivid dreams in sleep.

Maybe this would be a new start. Fallon’s mood started to brighten. Tour would be ending in the beginning of August…maybe Fallon would go to one of the exhibition matches. After all Fallon used to go to the games quite often during the season…well before Daniel at least.

Maybe it was time for her to face him. To face the one person she might have given up her career for.