All That We Could Be

Chapter Nine

It had been two weeks since the papers had published the story about Fallon and Daniel being comparable to Posh and Becks. Fallon had been kept busy with other matters such as more performances and a club tour, busy enough not to think about the article. She was also getting ready to release her next single. It was due March 11th. February was almost over. In two weeks she would have another song on the charts.

Daniel had taken the article fiasco alright, once Fallon had talked to him the day after. Apparently his phone had been turned off. At least that’s what he said.

In the last two weeks Fallon and Daniel hadn’t really done very much together. Both of them were busy. So it was understandable when Daniel had to decline from coming to another show or whatever Fallon had that day. He told her that he would meet her on Wednesday. For Fallon that meant three long days.

Sure enough by Tuesday Fallon was hoping time would speed up. She had spoken to Daniel on Monday, but his vice sounded far away. She had asked him what was bothering him. He said it was nothing. Nothing usually meant something. Something that wasn’t good. At least that’s what Fallon thought.

Fallon had enough work to keep her busy. She was finishing off assignments, doing labs, and of course she had a small club tour which began and ended at Lively! She had made sure that Cheryl was included in every aspect of her career. Cheryl had been with her through everything. This was the least Fallon could do.

By Wednesday Fallon had finished enough work so that one night off with Daniel wouldn’t make her homework pile up to an alarming amount. She was lucky that she hadn’t slacked off yet. March had begun and the only thing that was keeping her happy at school was the fact that reading week was coming soon. That and the fact that tonight she would see Daniel.

That night Daniel took Fallon to the park where they had gazed at the stars the first time they had been photographed together. It wasn’t very cold, which Fallon was glad for.

Daniel had been quiet on the ride there. Fallon thought as though he was distancing himself. She didn’t know why. Usually they would talk about something or another.

They got out of the car. Daniel led her to one of the benches. “Fallon remember when we first came here?” He asked her. “Yea it was the day before they called you the mystery man I was seeing.” Fallon smiled at the thought. The two of them sat quietly.

Fallon looked up at Daniel, but his face was blank. “Is something bothering you?” She asked him, her voice full of concern. “Yea actually there is.” He said to her.

“Fallon, I don’t think the paparazzi are going to forget us anytime soon. And I don’t think it’s helping me when I’m being compared to David Beckham. I know he’s a great footballer, but in the context I’m being compared to him…it’s not exactly going well with the teams I’ve been approaching.” Daniel said carefully. “I’m sorry…” Fallon couldn’t think of anything else to say. It wasn’t like she could stop them from following her and Daniel. “It’s not your fault…” Daniel said, his voice sounded unhappy. “I don’t know how to stop them, if I did I would.” Fallon said, she could hear how lame she sounded.

“I know, but I think it’s gotten way too much…for even me to handle.” Daniel said. Fallon stared at him. She didn’t like where this was heading. Daniel refused to look at her. “What are you saying?” She asked, her mind frozen. “I thought you said that you did mind the photographers, that you had seen worse.” She told him, words were pouring out of her.

“That was before, but now I think maybe I need to stop seeing you.” Daniel said the words that Fallon had been dreading since meeting Miguel. “What do you mean?” Fallon asked quickly, she knew perfectly well what he meant.

“I don’t think we should be together. I think we should break up.” As Daniel said the words, ice ran in Fallon’s veins. “Did Miguel say that?” She asked coldly. Daniel wouldn’t look at her still. “No he didn’t say anything about you.” He said, still facing away.

“Then why?” Fallon could feel her mouth move but it was someone else’s voice. “Because Fallon…you aren’t good for me.” The words sounded ridiculous.

“If that’s the case then why won’t you look at me to tell me that you don’t want to be with me.” Fallon knew she was just trying to buy time. She was hoping that he would change his mind.

Daniel turned to face her. “We’re finished.” He said, his voice was unrecognizable, it was cold and hard.

Fallon got up, the finality in his tone hurt her. It was like her heart was breaking into two pieces. More like a knife piercing her heart. She had known it was all too good to be true. Like a glass shattering, her dreams broken because of his words.

Fallon started to walk away. “Where are you going?” Daniel’s voice asked with indifference. “Home.” Fallon replied, knowing full well that home was the last place she would be going to. “I’ll drive you.” His voice sounded forced. “No, I know my way. Goodbye Daniel.” Fallon said, ice dripped from each word. “Goodbye…Fallon.” She heard his voice say quietly.

Fallon couldn’t bear to look back at him. She stuck her hands in her pockets, and walked.

For what felt like a long time, Fallon kept on walking. Her resolve stood strong. She was almost home. She didn’t feel like going there yet. So she wandered around aimlessly. She passed the café where they had met. She knew she didn’t want to see it.

She walked past a few more places until she reached her house. She walked up the drive way. Surprisingly there wasn’t a mob to contend with. Instead of going inside, Fallon took out her keys and unlocked her car. Getting in, she started the engine. It roared to life, the sound of it was a small comfort. At least she had her car…she thought lamely. Even if she couldn’t have the guy of her dreams, at least she could have which ever car she liked…even if it was a Dodge Charger. Fallon got out of the driveway, and drove off into the night.

There was a track Fallon had always gone to when she was in an off mood. Speed had always helped control her. It was a way for her to let herself forget. When Fallon had been younger, she had wanted to be a race car driver at one point. The exhilaration had always drawn her in. Now it was the only way to let out her emotions.

She got to the track and found that it was empty. Her phone rang. She didn’t waste time to check who it was. She just impulsively turned it off. Here there was nothing in between her and her desire to drive as fast as her heart wanted.

She checked her seat belt before starting the track. Once she got into it, she let go of her thoughts. As she drove around the race course, she tried to let go of Daniel.