Status: newbie.

Every Word Sounds Absurd

a soft shadow

It was cold in East Lavington. At least, it was cold to me. It rained regularly, like most of England did, and it was dark, and cloudy. It was so different from America, so different from home. But I needed some sort of an escape. I couldn't handle being criticized and bullied anymore. It was becoming too much; eleven years had been all too much.

My parents, being as well off as they were after years of studying at Yale and Stanford, were able to afford to send me off to boarding school. To Seaford College.

It was such a dark and gloomy place, the small village was. The school grounds were large and green with much room for the traditional English sports.

I had flown in alone, a cab driving me from the nearest airport all the way to the village and up to the school grounds. I entered at the side of one of the headmasters, not catching their name as I was too busy taking it all in. The school building was large and most likely original, looking somewhat ancient as I had read that the school had been here since 1884. It looked like something straight out of a Harry Potter novel.

I was escorted to my room that I apparently would not be sharing in Heden Court and given two keys, one to keep and another as a spare. My uniforms were laid out on my perfectly made bed, awaiting a space in the empty closet. I was then left to myself to unpack my one suitcase, as I didn't bring much, being as simple as I am.

As soon as everything was away, I laid back on the mattress, clad in light blue, navy blue and white plaid sheets (very much matching the uniform's skirt), and stared up at the white ceiling, letting it all sink in.

I was alone. I was free. Free of all the past torment of the children I'd known since grade school. Free of all the ridicule of everything I did, wore, ate. I was hoping it would be different here, that my 5'5'' and 134 pound stature would be considered normal here and not fat. That my shyness and glasses would be found cool, even. Maybe for once in my life, I would have friends. Maybe I would actually be liked.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment & subscribe.
-A