Status: *in progress*

There is Something...

*9*

It’s been a week since Mary-Ann last has spoken to Rou. She read between the lines that he was avoiding her and every time she spoke to him he would find something else to do rather than talking to her. She thought about the possibility that she did something wrong, but what? She couldn’t put a finger on it. It was obvious to her that it wasn’t the night when Rory and Alice weren’t at the house, because she managed to get a date with Rob through her sleep. Or maybe that what it was. The guys were talking too much and maybe they even had a fight because of that. Nope, not that. Rou seems to love his old friends even more now. Though she was extra-friendly with him for the past few days.

Rou’s behavior was ludicrous as well as the other guys’. Once Mary phoned him and suggested them going to London Rou answered as a normal person at first, but when he recognized the speaker’s voice he pretended to be an answering machine and hang up after she heard a “signal”. Rory and Rob weren’t acting better either. They would sneak out from the house early in the morning to do only God knows what, and Rory would come home when Mary and Alice tired out go to sleep. And the best part of it was that he would ask them, “Oh, girls, let’s watch some movie, shall we?” smiling devilishly.

“The guy is an artist. I’ll wait till he feels like talking to me.” Mary watched Rou play the piano on another Enter Shikari rehearsal. There was also his dad. He was a nice man and very-hardworking. The moment Mary was introduced to him he tried to make some small-talk about Germany and then excused himself and begun to settle some matters about the band.

“Did Rory choose a date?” Alice asked Mary not taking her eyes off of Chris, who was changing strings on his bass.

“Nope,” Mary sighed. “We haven’t spoken since then and…” she trailed off. “Rou holds some grudge against me, apparently.”

Alice turned her head towards Mary, “Does he? I haven’t noticed.” She smiled slyly.

“Don’t be so mean. I can’t bear his attitude towards me. That’s not fair…and Rory with Rob…” Mary felt vibration in her pocket and took out her phone. “Oh, really?” she told herself aloud frowning and threw her hand up.

“What’s that?” Alice looked at Mary’s phone.

“Ah. It’s Johnny. I’m very interesting person all of a sudden.” She answered texting her friend back.

“Who’s Johnny?” Alice asked just right at the moment Rou ended playing. And everyone except for Rou’s dad stopped their business and looked at Mary-Ann waiting for her answer.

“Oh,” she looked at each of the boys. “My old friend from Germany. We went to school together and she’s a fan of yours,” Mary smiled at the guys, “since last week,” she finished laughing.

“SHE?” Rou, Rob and Rory asked in unison. And then it hit Mary-Ann why Rou wouldn’t talk to her and why Rory and Rob wouldn’t fix the day for the dates or whatever they had in mind. She just wanted to be friends with everyone and wasn’t looking for a relationship.

“Well, yeah,” she begun slowly, “Ah, it’s John in England!” Mary slapped her forehead in realization. “It’s Johanna in Germany. For friends she is Johnny.” And the three mates exhaled simultaneously.

The rest of the day went as nothing ever happened in the past week. Everyone was talking and laughing with each other. In the evening boys went to buy some beer and later everyone gathered in the backyard of Chris’s house around a bonfire.

“That’s it!” Rob suddenly spoke up. “I’m TIRED! So why don’t we go to the beach house?” He stood up and looked at everyone with pure excitement in his eyes.

“A real vacation?” inquired Rory.

Rou stood up, “YES!” and raised the bottle of his beer.

The boys cheered and begun discussing the things they need to buy and when should they leave. Mary-Ann leaned closer to Alice and whispered, “What’s a beach house?”

“Oh, that’s the house the Rolfs have. It’s in the countryside and it has a small river near..But Rob calls it the beach house. Sometimes he thinks he is a mobster living in a villa…there are even some stories with murder..”

“I see. Sounds fun!” Mary smiled. “What can we do there?”

“Basically everything.” Alice took a swig of her beer, “But nobody visited that house in a long time. Maybe lots of cleaning,” she shrugged.

“Who wants cookies?” Chris’s mom appeared behind girls and they almost squealed of surprise.
Rob was the first to react, “I want one of those!”

“Such a kid.” Mary thought to herself and reached out her hand to the plate with delicious snack.

“Alright then, we are going home. Rory are you with us?” Alice asked her brother standing up.

“Nah..I’ll come later. We need to plan everything. You girls have fun.” With that said he winked at Mary-Ann and turned to Chris back again.

“Alright. See you all tomorrow.” Alice waved, hesitated a second and then ran to give Chris a hug. This was very strange because he was the only one to be embraced, and yet he hasn’t noticed that.

“Buy, guys.” Mary followed Alice to the car. “Are you sure you can drive?”

Alice furrowed, “It was like half of the bottle and we don’t live that far. Don’t be a chicken,” she winked at Mary-Ann.

“Ok. If police stops us, don’t wake me.”

The ride home was slow and silent except for the low murmur of the radio. Mary-Ann watched as the light drops of rain jumped off the car window. The city was swallowed by darkness. But she felt conciliation. She was glad that everything was all right between her and the boys. Though deep inside she knew that the life at the beach house was going to be not so easy. She only hoped that nobody wanted a relationship with her.

Girls arrived home and went straight to their rooms. Mary had a quick shower and literally dropped on her couch. She wrapped herself in a blanket and made herself very comfortable. She closed her eyes and gasped with pleasure. Half an hour past and she couldn’t sleep. The sleep eluded her. She stood up and decided that she wasn’t very tired. She glanced at the clock standing on the dressing table – 01:57 am.

Mary-Ann quietly came to the door, opened and peered through it. No sound. She slowly walked out and came to Alice’s door. It was ajar. She softly pushed it and looked at her English friend. She was sleeping soundly.

She huffed a little bit disappointed and came downstairs to the living-room. She sat on the couch and searched for the remote controller. When she found it she pushed the “ON” button. The TV was set on the music channel so when it fully loaded the lead singer of Avenged Sevenfold shouted from the screen “It’s you fucking nightmare!” which definitely was heard from the outside on the street. Mary jumped on her place and with the shaky finger punched the button and turned off the TV. “I hope I haven’t woken up Alice,” she sighed.

“Metal, eh? I thought that you were asleep.” Rory came from the kitchen. Mary yelped of surprise and placed her hand over her mouth.

“Sheesh, Rory. I guess we are even now,” he smiled and sat on the couch near heavy-breathing girl. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to..”

“Yeah,” Mary cut him off, “we are even now. Ma-an. My heart nearly ran out of my chest.” She chuckled.

“Can’t sleep?” Mary nodded in response.

“I didn’t hear you enter the house.” She noted to him.

“Well, that is classified. I had to learn how to sneak out of the house. Band practice, parties…” Rory shrugged.

He looked at Mary, pursed his lips and slowly started to move closer to wrap his arm around her tiny frame. She noticed it and smiled, “I don’t really comfortable with that, sorry.”

“Oh, do you want to watch something?”

“Not really. Talk?” she asked searching for his eyes in the dark.

“Sure.” And Rory reached out his hand for the lamp standing beside the couch and turned it on. They squinted when the light hit their eyes. “So..” he begun, “What do you want to talk about?”

“Maybe, why were you ignoring me?”

Rory looked away from Mary, “Um…we thought that you have a boyfriend. And lead all of us on.”

“WE?”

“Yeah..Me, Rou and Rob. We all attracted to you…and…”

She quickly cut him off standing from the couch, “So this is a competition?” She folded her arms waiting for an answer. But Rory just couldn’t find the right words to explain everything.

“So?” she pushed him. “It’s like I’m in a movie,” Mary was on the verge of losing her temper and shouting. “I can’t believe these guys could do something like that! If he won’t answer, I swear I’ll throw something at him. UGH! I’m so angry!” She clenched her fists.

“No! You are a new girl in our company. We don’t get to see many girls, not to mention get to know them. We are always busy. And then you come and you are from other country. That makes you more interesting.” He looked at Mary with pleading eyes. She softened and sat back on the couch.

“Go on.”

“Well, we know each other for a long time. And we tell each other everything. So, we admitted that we like you. But we agreed not to push you. You have to choose yourself.” Rory exhaled deeply.

Mary-Ann just rolled her eyes. “You know, I’m not a doll and this is not action.”

“I’m sorry. I guess, we are sorry. But you agreed to go out with each of us! Don’t you think it is a little bit wrong?” Rory asked looking straight into her eyes.

“Kind of,” she folded her arms again and said as-a-matter-of-factly, “I have an explanation. You were the first to ask me out and I agreed. Rob left me a note that said that I agreed. But I don’t remember anything like that. And Rou…he just appeared on my doorstep early in the morning. And I have no boyfriend.”

Rory said nothing, he stared into nothingness pondering over information he just received. Mary decided to speak again, “Well, thank you for your time. Good night.” She smiled and left Rory dumbfounded with a smirk on his face.