The Newsies

Chapter 6

CHAPTER SIX

The town was traumatized from the bandits who had come into town the other day. Houses were burnt down, children were captured and many people either lost their lives or were severely injured. But the most traumatized and sorrowful people were the Jacobs. (For now they believed they couldn't keep any child alive due to the losses of both their son, Davey, and daughter, Sarah.) Many tears were shed on that day, and many had almost lost their minds from losing their family and houses.

"What...What are we going to do?" Little Les asked, tears slowly streaming down his cheeks. Mrs. Jacobs watched her youngest son sob into his hands. Normally, a mother would comfort her son when he is sad, but not this time. Mrs. Jacobs shot out of her chair, grabbed her overcoat and hat and ran out the door, leaving the rest of the Jacobs sitting very confused. Mr. Jacobs had been shot in the leg, but Doctor Malone removed the bullet and put a cast on it. But Davey was not so lucky. Many of the townies thought it odd that the bandits (Who soon left a note with the name 'Smugglers 18' on it) took the body of Davey after shooting him. They also thought it weird that the gun shot did not really let out any blood. But they ignored these doubts and accepted poor Davey's death. Except for the Newsies....

AT THE LODGING HOUSE....

"I am not going to just go along with this so called 'death' of Davey's!" Jack shouted. Ever since Davey's shooting, Jack had been screaming and denying every little hint the boys gave of Davey really being dead. "He is alive... I just know it!!" Jack said, kicking the wall and leaning against it. Racetrack slowly stepped forward, his hands in front of him and a concerned look on his face.

"Uh.... Jackie... I don't tink dat..." Race looked around him at the rest of the boys

"-- That any of you agree?" Jack asked angrily.

"Uh... Yeah?" Race replied, a little nervous. Suddenly, Jack did something he had never done before to Race. He grabbed Race's collar and pushed him on a wall. Slamming him very hard, he formed his face so angry that it actually scared his best friend. Turning furiously red, Jack then said,

"Oh, yeah? Does that go for everyone or just this little shrimp?" Race's eyes filled with fright as Jack pushed him further up the wall and lifted his fist to punch him. "TAKE THAT BACK!" Jack's voice had never been so deep, so gruff to the point of scratching as it had then. There was true anger, true hatred, true love all at the same time. Jack had been angry at Race, had hated everyone and had loved his friend Davey, even if he annoyed him a bit. (Which he did everyone)

"I SAID-- TAKE THAT BACK!" He repeated, even more furious. Fire burned in his eyes and hatred built up in his heart as he did the stupidest thing he had ever done. Reaching his arm back as far as it would go, Jack plunged his hard fist into Racetracks small face, sending Racetrack falling to the ground below him. Jack looked down at his friend, who's lip was now bleeding. As Jack looked closer and closer, he saw a tear. A small tear running down Race's face. It was regret, sorrow, pain and fright into one drop of liquid. This told Jack his whole story. Jack now knew that he had been stupid and horribly mean. He knew he was angry at the Smugglers 18 and he knew he took this anger out on his best friend in the world. Jack's own eyes filled with stinging tears of guilt. But immediately wiping them away, they were forgotten. He stopped for a moment and looked at the rest of the faces. How to explain them so you'd get the same feeling Jack did, I'll never know. But I'll try:

Snipeshooter's being angry

Boots being scared

Cructhy's being angry and scared

and Mush's being anger, fright and frustration all mixed. I could keep going, but there's more to it. Mush put one foot forward and shouted.

"Youse stupid? You got no brains! What's wrong whichoo? Look what ya did!" He pointed at Race's depressing face. Everyone began scolding Jack for what he did. At this, an odd feeling built up inside Jack. His legs needed to run, but his mind wanted to stay. His heart pounded fast with anger, frustration, regret, guilt and sorrow. With two quick looks back and forth at the mad crowd of kids, Jack dashed through them, pushing this one and that one and stumbling over that one. Finally, he reached the end of the mob and began running through the streets. The sky was dim with gray clouds that roared with thunder, the streets filled with homeless townies who used to be perfectly fine before the attack. A raindrop fell on Jack's nose and he looked up. He began to think of his dreams of Santa Fe again and how he'd save up and go with his friends. He thought of his parents, beckoning for him to follow. He thought of Racetrack's, Mush's and all the kids faces and how they smiled and laughed with him. Jack became overwhelmed and immediately knelt down in the middle of the wet street. He gasped and gasped, trying to hold back the long forgotten tears which hadn't streamed his face since infancy. His eyes stung and his voice rambled on about all of his blames. Suddenly, Mrs. Jacobs showed up to see him. She watched him for awhile.

"Please....Davey, I know you aren't dead, but now... I don't have any friends!" Jack said this in between gasps and he began to move down a bit. He put his hands on the street and looked into a puddle seeing his reflection. He saw a person of great anger and self-praise. He hated the sight of himself and quickly put his hand inside the puddle to make his reflection move.

"I just need a way.. A way to get you back." Jack said. Wondering where Davey could be, and what had happened, and who had taken him, his thoughts began to stray.

"Maybe we can help?" Mrs. Jacobs said, finally stepping towards him. Jack looked up at the sweet lady. He scrambled to his feet and with one nod, the two began the path back to the Jacobs residence.