Status: Acive, but currently on hold.

You can't cure me (REWRITING)

Chapter 6 - Outlet

The ride home is silent. It isn't an awkward silence at all. We're just enjoying being in each other's company I guess.
Another sharp pain goes through my head and I flinch, clutching both sides of my head again. I yelp out in pain and close my eyes. What the hell's going on with me?
"Lisa?! What's going on?" I hear Jake ask me, his voice's saturated with panic and sounding so distant.
"Lisa? Lisa! Please, talk to me! Say something!" I hear Jake's voice again, but this time he sounds normal. The pain slowly backs down and I open my eyes again.
"I'm fine. It's okay. It's just that freaking headache that's gotten a bit worse. I'm alright now." I reassure Jake who's looking at me with panic still in his eyes.
"Are you sure? Because you sure as hell didn't look alright to me a couple of seconds ago," he says. "Are you sure you don't want me to get you to an ER or something?"
"No, I'm fine. Just get me home so I can take a painkiller and get to bed. Everything will be fine in the morning."
"If you say so." he says hesitantly as he starts the car again. I didn't even realize we stopped at the side of the road. I lean back and rest my head against the head rest. For the rest of the car ride I try to move as little as possible. The worst of the pain may have passed, I'm still in pain and to top it all, I am feeling dizzy. I try to hide it from Jake, because I just know he'll turn around and take me to the nearest hospital. And if there's one thing I hated with a passion, it were be hospitals.

We pull up at my place eventually. I take my house keys out my handbag and get out of the car. The dizziness takes over instantly and I have to grip the car door so I won't fall over. Jake rushes over to my side and supports me with his arms.
"Are you really sure you're alright?" he asks concerned.
"Yes, Jake, I'm sure. It's probably just the alcohol. I haven't had much to eat today, so it's just the alcohol getting to my head." I say.
"Why didn't you tell me you haven't ate much? I'd never had bought that Jack Daniels if I had known."
"Don't start blaming this on yourself. It's not going to help either of us in any way, is it?"
"No, you're right. Let's get you inside and in your bed." he says and I start walking, still being supported by Jake who has put my arm around his neck and his arm around my waist.

"I need to change out of my clothes and into some pyjamas, so if you don't mind releasing me, that'd be great." I say as I try to wiggle free from his grip.
"You sure you can walk?" Jake asks.
"Yes, I'm not dizzy anymore."
He lets go off me and I walk out to my bedroom, grabbing some shorts and an old tee and go to the bathroom. I suddenly feel so tired. I walk out of the bathroom and straight to my bedroom. I am followed by Jake, of whom I had, to be honest, completely forgotten about. I thought he would've left by now. I lie down on my bed and pull the covers over my body.
"Are you sure you don't want me to stay overnight or something?" Jake sits down on my right side on the bed.
"Is that your way of asking me to ask you to spend the night?" I say jokingly. "Very subtle, I must say. But sadly, it's not going to work."
He rolls his eyes. "I'm just making sure you're okay. Believe it or not, but I care about you." he pats my shoulder.
"Don't worry about me, I'm going to be fine. You go back to your friends and tell them I'm sorry we had to rush home like that." I smile weakly.
"They understand, trust me. You're really sure I don't need to stay?" he asks me one more time.
"Yes! Now go, so I can get some sleep!" I push his upper arm as a sign he has to stand up.
"Okay, okay, I'm going. See you tomorrow for that pool party thing at Andy's?" I just nod. The pool party slipped my mind. I'd have to think of an excuse tomorrow, I was too tired right now.
"Okay, bye." Jake says as he walks out of the room. I close my eyes and fall asleep almost instantly.

I wake up to terrible stomach aches. Great, first the headache, now a stomach ache too? I groan and try to get up, but the pain in my stomach is just too much. I flop back on my bed and lie on my side. I pull a pillow from behind my head and push it against my tummy. It always helps when I am no't feeling well. I pull out my phone and text Jake.

To: Jake
Hey, I just woke up with a terrible stomach ache. I don't think I'm going to make it to the party at Andy's. I'm sorry. x


I hit 'send' and close my eyes again, trying to ignore the pain in my stomach. When I open my eyes again, it's a couple hours later. I check my phone and Jake had answered.

From: Jake
I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe you should go see a doctor? I'll explain to Andy and the rest. I hope you feel better soon. x

I try getting up again and this time I'm able to without much pain. I look at the clock on my nightstand; it's 1.42pm. I sigh. I am feeling a little hungry, but I fear that if I ate something, I'd throw it up again. I look around in the cabinet with all the medicines in and take something against stomach aches.
I then walk out to the living room, looking around for something I could do. I decide to clean things a little and do some laundry. I walk back to my bedroom, grab the laundry basket and walk to the little washing place that's located in the room next to my bathroom.
I put the laundry in the washing machine and grab the vacuum cleaner. I clean the whole living room and the kitchen area and my bedroom. I don't feel like cleaning my bathroom as I did that a couple of days before.

I sit down on my couch and switch on the TV, flipping through the channels in search of something interesting I could watch. Eventually, I stop at a music channel and look around for something to do before I'd die of boredom. I glance around and my eye falls upon my phone lying on the table. That reminds me Sammi asked me to make some necklaces for her. I had saved the names of the items she wants on my phone last night, so I wouldn't forget which ones she wanted. I stand up, walk over to the little cabinet under my television and take out my supply box. Sammi had chosen one of the skeleton necklaces and those weren't easy to make. It sure would take me an hour and a half to make the skeleton piece and then about half an hour to attach it to the string. I mentally thank Sammi for giving me something to keep me busy. I glance at the clock on the wall and see it's already 3.17pm. Time to get to work.

Two hours later I am finally finished with the skeleton necklace. I'm pleased with the result. Hopefully Sammi's going to be too. A knock on my door startles me. I never have any visitors so I am curious as to who it could possibly be. I stand up and open the door. Standing right in front of me is Jake.
"Hello, Jake. Come on in," I say as I turn around and walk back to the living room before he could even open his mouth to greet me.
I sit down on the couch sideways and pulled my legs up, resting my back against the arm rest. Jake sits down on the opposite side of the couch, also with his back facing the arm rest.
"What are you doing here?" I ask. Woah, that sounded so harsh.
"I just wanted to check if you're alright. Your text message this morning had me worried all day." he explains.
"Why would you be worried about me?" I mumble quietly to myself.
"Come again?" he asks..
"Nothing." I say.
"What did you just say, Lisa? I know you said something, I just couldn't hear it well."
"Nothing." I repeat, hoping he would let it rest. Which he doesn't.
"What did you just say, Lisa?" he insists. It's driving me crazy. Why can't he just drop it? Isn't it clear enough I do not wish to say it out loud? I throw my head back.
"You really want to know what I just said?" I ask resentful. I don't wait for answer and continue, "well, I said that I didn't understand why you were being worried. No one's ever been worried about me, because no one's ever cared about me. There, now you know what I said!" I spit out, throwing my hands in the air and standing up from the couch. Jake's sat there, seemingly at a loss for words. I am on the verge of breaking down in tears so I go to the kitchen and put on some water to boil for tea. I always make myself some tea when I am worked up. It calms me down.

I go back to the living room and set the cup down on the table and then sit down where I was sitting before. Jake still doesn't say a word and I don't exactly know what to say so there's an awkward silence. Jake's just staring with a blank look on his face at something behind me. I have to fight the urge of turning my head around to see what he is looking at. I am feeling utterly uncomfortable. After what seems an eternity, Jake finally speaks up.
"What did you mean when you said no one's ever cared about you?" he asks silently.
"Exactly what I said." I reply, still slightly agitated.
"Why would you say things like that? It doesn't make sense." You could hear in Jake's voice how puzzled he was.
"It makes an awful lot of sense, you know. Let me ask you a question.. Do you still remember when I said I didn't have many friends?" I look at him and he nods.
"Well, as much as I hate this, but I think it's time I'd show you why I don't have many friends." I sigh and stand up reluctantly. Jake's eyes follow my every move. I take a big gulp of air and slowly lift my tank top, revealing the one thing I loathe so much about my body: my scars, the mutilated flesh on my stomach. The eternal reminders of what happened 5 years ago. Jake's mouth falls open, but he quickly regains himself and closes it. He looks at me with an apologetic look in his eyes. I feel the tears come up once again and I quickly reach for my cup of tea.
"What...-" Jake starts, but I cut him off.
"You want to know what happened?" I say with an emotionless voice. "Well, five years ago, there was a fire at my house. I woke up during the night because I couldn't breathe. I was under the impression my parents had found a way to get outside. I somehow managed to get out too, but once I was outside, I realized my parents were nowhere to be seen. So I ran back inside, into the fire. The heat was immense and I couldn't breathe or see because of the thick smoke. I didn't care. All I wanted was my parents to be safe. I reached their bedroom door but that's when I passed out. The next time I opened my eyes, I was in the hospital and they bluntly told me my parents hadn't survived. That they had choked in their sleep because of the smoke." I ramble and can't withhold the tears any longer. I look at Jake who is still sitting on the couch with a shocked expression. He hasn't moved since he came through that door and took a seat. After a couple of minutes he's about to say something, but I cut him off again.

"I've been in the hospital for months. I had third degrees burns on my stomach and thighs. The doctors had to use skin from my legs to cover up the wounds so they would heal better. I was in so much pain, it was unbearable. And you know what the worst part was? No one ever bothered to pay me a visit. I was 19 years old, I had just lost my parents in a house fire and no one even cared enough about me to visit me. At the moment I needed someone the most, I had no one! Not my family nor my friends. I had never been able to get along with my family well, so I kind of understood why they stayed away. But later I found out they blamed me for my parents death. It was my fault they died. I hadn't done enough to save them. And my friends? Well, my so-called friends didn't want anything to do with you. They didn't even send me a get well card or anything. I never forgave them and never bothered to ask why no one cared enough to come to me and comfort me. I just lost my parents for god's sake! That fire destroyed my life. That fire took everything away from me! My parents, my family, my friends, even my social life. And to top it all, I was left with these horrendous scars, reminding me of that time every single day. I got depressed and basically locked myself inside this house. It took me years to finally go outside again and try to get my social life back. But every time I made a new friend, as soon as they saw my scars, they didn't want to have anything to do with me all of a sudden. Every single friend I made, left.. That's when I began to stay inside my house more and more. I even started hating myself. I started to believe my family was right and it was my fault my parents died. It should've been me! I should've been the one to die. Not them! And I can't shake the thought that I could've saved them. If I hadn't been so weak, all those years ago, I would've been able to save them. We would be living a happy life now. But no, I just had to be weak. I lost everything because I was too weak back then." My knees cave in underneath me and I fall to the floor, crying hysterically. "And now I have also lost you." I cry.