Status: Slow going. Layout coming soon.

LionHearts

Chapter 12;

"Misteria, let's stop for the love of Gaia!" August groaned.
50 miles, and 3 days later: the sun was setting and their dear princess was still demanding that they press on. Her mind couldn't stop for rest, it raced with the possibilities of the kingdom Solee planning a war against them. Using her father as a hostage, and the presence of a new, untamed dragon keeper as a threat. Dangling the two like slabs of bird for the allies.

"We can't." She strained through her teeth. "My father, and the new keeper. We just can't."
"We know the general location of Aleta, we can go to her to seek aid."
"August, that's in the completely opposite direction that we've gone. It'd just be more walking than needed." Zura sighed, following the two from the back to keep a slower pace.

"We need rest."
"August." Both Misteria and Zura snapped.
His mouth set in a hard line, glaring sidelong at his wife, and glancing at Zura to throw venom his way. The Alchemist and Misteria have grown quite close throughout the days. They shared similar traits which made them naturally compatible. And though August realized it was idiotic, a stir of burning jealousy whirled in his gut.

She merely ignored his glare and kept her eyes forward, though they progressively had grown heavier. Her lids drooped, halving her eyes and making it hard to see all her surroundings.

Stopping abruptly, August grabbed her by the arm and pulled her to a halt. Zura stopped beside them and looked at the couple in what seemed like excruciating boredom.

"If we are attacked, you are useless. I am useless. Zura may be the only one who has the ability."
"I don't." Zura chimed in.
"Alright, none of us."
Misteria's lips set in a hard line as her stubbornness fought with reason.
"We. Need. To rest."
"Fine." She spat.

The two men sighed with relief, and plopped to the ground instantly. Stretching out their haggard limbs and lying flat on their backs on the dirt path. The princess stood above them with her arms crossed, a glower set on her face as she observed.

"Such weak comrades." She muttered and turned.
"Where are you going?"
"Securing the perimeter."
"Who's going?" Zura asked blandly.
"What?"
"Mis, last time you went on watch by yourself you were captured. Not again." With a sigh, August stood up. "I'll go."

With a curt nod, Zura resumed his lying position and gave a thumbs up to them both. "Good luck."

With a few muttered curses, Misteria stormed off into a random direction of thick foliage with August on her heels.
"Mis!"
"It's Misteria! Stop acting like we're familiars!"
Again, August sighed, he's been chasing her for a good amount of minutes and still she didn't slow. He was trailing her- and barely keeping up from the exhaustion of the trek.
"But we are, we've known each other since childhood, we were vowed to one another. We're bound."
"But you don't know me."
"I've got a pretty good idea, c'mon. Mis." Reaching out, August grabbed her hand. Almost instantly, Misteria yanked it away.

"Go back, August."
"What?"
"Just leave me alone."