Red

Interrogations and Confessions - Nathan

I was over the moon at how well Eliza handled everything. From finding out about my profession, to the song, to being teased during a live interview. She did great, I did great, I couldn’t be happier. I rolled over in bed and kissed her bare shoulder. She moaned slightly before leaning back into me and opening her eyes.

“Good morning,” she whispered. I kissed her on the ear and whispered my morning wishes back. I had taken her to a romantic dinner the night before as I had promised her. Ended up naked together in her bed was the act of God. Everything we did had an innuendo attached, getting back to her apartment had been a nightmare though. We started ripping off each other clothes before she even had her front door open.

The sex? Euphoric. The look on her face seemed to agree.

“I’ll make us breakfast,” she whispered crawling out of bed, taking the top sheet along with her. I laid back in her bed naked, basking in the peace that surrounded me. Normalcy. This is what this was. Normal life. I crawled out of bed slowly and pulled my boxers on before venturing out into her living room. Evidence of our night was scattered everywhere, her bra tossed on top of the kitchen table, my shirt on the ground by the front door.

Eliza had the bed sheet tied around her body as she moved around the kitchen with eggs and bacon. “What do you have planned today?” She asked turning on the stovetop.

“Nothing, I’m all yours until we go to your parents tonight.”

She stopped moving and groaned quietly. “How could I possibly forget? I should probably prepare you. It won’t be fun, but I’m obligated to go.”

“Obligated? Isn’t it your fathers birthday? Don’t you want to be there?”

“I don’t know how your family is Nathan, but mine . . . it’s difficult. If I’m not perfect, I’m invisible.”

I stood up from the kitchen bar and walked around wrapping my arms around her waist as she put the bacon on the pan. “You, Eliza, are anything but invisible. Now, I have nothing proper to wear, so can we go shopping after breakfast?”

She spun around quickly in my arms with a huge grin on her face. “Shopping? Of course! I should get a new dress anyways, don’t want to risk wearing something my mother has already seen.”

“She’s a surgeon, why does she care about what you wear?”

“Oh Nathan. Just wait, you’ll see.” She gave me a quick kiss before tending back to our breakfast.

--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--

Her parents didn’t live far and since it wasn’t too cold of autumn night we opted to walk. Seattle was such a beautiful city with the changing colors and the wistful breezes. It reminded me so much of home back in London. What I loved the most though was the fast that I could walk through the downtown streets holding Eliza’s hand and not be bothered. I was dressed to the nines, just how anyone else would dress when meeting their girlfriends parents for the first time.

Girlfriend? Was that right?

“Eliza, what are we doing?” I asked before I could think twice.

“We’re walking to my parents silly. We’re almost there,” she smiled giving my hand a squeeze.

“No. I mean us. Is this a fling? Are we dating?”

She stopped walking and turned to face me. “Considering the radio interview yesterday, our dinner last night, and well . . . our activities after dinner I would surely hope what we have is something. Do you not want it to be? Will I just be your Seattle girl?”

My mouth fell slightly ajar. “No, no! I want you to be my girlfriend. It won’t be easy though.”

“Oh Nathan, nothing comes easy. Of course I want to be your girlfriend!”

I stepped forward and gently kissed her lips just as the rain began to fall. Her giggling was infectious as we ran the last block into her parents building. It was no surprise to me as we rode the lift to the penthouse in what could possibly be the most lavish building in Seattle.

“Eliza, I’ve been waiting. A word please,” a woman I recognized as her mother stated sternly the minute the elevator doors opened.

Eliza looked over at me biting her lip releasing my hand.

“Your friend can wait here. Excuse us,” she said with a sour taste rolling off her tongue looking me over.

I stood in the foyer waiting patiently. After a few seconds I heard shouting from beyond the double doors that separated Eliza and I.

“It was completely tasteless Eliza! I don’t care how you feel, you need to think about this family before you go running your mouth on the radio!”

Male voice, angry . . . Eliza’s father. This couldn’t be good.

A couple of silent minutes later Eliza walked out with red eyes and a red nose. Now I understood what she was saying about her family. She walked right into my open arms and I held her tight. “Do you want to leave?” I asked after her breathing calmed down.

“No they want to meet you. Remember my dad is a lawyer, he won’t go easy.” She smiled weakly at me. I swallowed before nodding my head and followed her into the living area. The minute we sat down on the couch the interrogation began.

“Where are you from Nathan?”

“Gloucester, England.”

“Your family?”

“Parents are divorces but both very involved in my life. Younger sister still in school.”

“How much are you worth?”

My mouth fell open in surprise. Wasn’t that a bit personal?

“See Nathan, I need to know, because if Eliza has one more slip up like she did on the radio yesterday morning, she’ll lose her trust fund. Will you be able to support her if she embarrasses her family again?” Mr. Svenson gave me an ice-cold glare awaiting my answer. I looked over at Eliza and tears stung at her eyes.

“Yes, yes I can,” I began tangling my fingers with hers before looking back at Mr. Svenson. “I can, and I will support her, and I will never make her feel the way she’s feeling right now. I’ll remind her daily how beautiful and intelligent and talented she is. If I ever make her cry I deserve to have hell brought upon me. I was in my darkest hour when I met your daughter; she brought me light I had lost hope on. I just hope, Mr. Svenson that you can look past whatever it is you think Eliza has done and see the light as I have.”

My heart was racing, my palms sweaty, Eliza’s mother stood looking appalled but Mr. Svenson hid a smile.

“Let’s eat, shall we?” He asked and I let out a breathe I didn’t know I was holding. He stood from the chair across from us and walked into the dining room.

I looked over at Eliza cautiously. She looked as shocked as I felt.

“I have never seen anyone stand up to my father like that,” she whispered before kissing me passionately.

After a few moments we walked into the dining room to see it full of people. I instantly became nervous. I’ve performed in front of thousands of people all over the world, but now in a room full of these people who were apart of Eliza’s life one way or another, I froze. Eliza did too.

“What are you doing here?” I heard her ask staring down a man around her age with short blonde hair. He stood with his shoulders back and his head held high. He glanced quickly at me before smirking at Eliza.

“Your mother invited me. I see it didn’t take you long to fill the void in your bed at night. From the looks of him, there's no way he can please you the way I can."
♠ ♠ ♠
DUN DUN DUN, uh oh...... to be continuted....

Eliza & Nathan