Status: Finished, I hope you love it.

A Hero Can Save Us

Then There Was You

San Diego Convention Center
1:30 PM

Just when I thought I could never have been surrounded by more people than I had been at LAX, after paying $150 for a four day pass, I found proof that I was wrong as I walked towards the Marriott. Comic-con had yet to start and still the streets were filled with super heroes and cartoon characters excited to get inside with hours and hours left before the doors even opened.
After paying a huge fee for a hotel room, I rode the elevator with subtle terror to the 8th floor; they always had made me paranoid. When I made my way inside the room, I gasped, nearly dropping my luggage. The view out the window looked down upon a beautiful marina, the waters glistening in the sunlight above, boats like specks in the distance. It was the first time I'd ever seen the ocean. Suddenly, I felt very small.
For a while I stood unmoving at the window transfixed by the fresh wonders that laid beyond the window, when my stomach growled audibly and I realized I hadn't eaten since breakfast with Autumn the morning before. 'The morning of my wedding,' I thought with a pang. I left the room and reluctantly took the elevator down to the lobby.
I walked down the marina and quickly found Marina Kitchen. I then waited about 20 minutes before I was finally seated. I was surprised to find the menu was extremely health food oriented and eventually ordered scrambled eggs with bacon. I scarfed it down quickly my hunger taking over. After paying the pricey check and leaving what I thought was a reasonable tip, I continued down the marina before finding myself eventually taking a seat at the end of the harbor. I took off my flimsy flip flops and attempted to dip my toes in the water but found my legs were a bit too short. I allowed its beauty to wash over me as I lit a cigarette.
That evening I found myself walking the streets surrounding the convention center, taking in every detail, appreciating every costume, every building and the first California sunset I'd ever seen. I stood hypnotized, the sky filled with reds, oranges, dark blues and purples in a way that I had only ever imagined.
Eventually, I made my way at Seaport Village which was remarkably a large shopping center; I found a general store and bought a post card with a picture of the marina and the ocean beyond it. I filled Autumn's address in the blanks and wrote this message:
"Autumn, I've made my way to San Diego for Comic-con. It's so beautiful here, even under the circumstances I'm enraptured by it all. I feel free here. I don't know when I'll be back, but I know I have to see this through. Sending my love - Abbey"
When I made it back to the Marriott, I asked the man at the front desk if he could send it out for me. When I made it to my room, I ordered a bottle of wine and attached my iPod to its dock. The room filled with Fiona Apple's 'Shadow Boxer.' When the wine arrived I uncorked it and took a swig straight from the bottle, wincing at the taste. That night I listened to the entirety of Fiona's Tidal, singing at the top of my lungs, before drifting off, bottle of wine still in my hand.

The Next Morning

I woke with a start to 'Criminal' blasting from the iPod dock. The clock on the wall read 8:50 AM. I grumbled and reached over to shut off the iPod, before dragging myself out of bed toward the bathroom. I peeled my clothes off, then accidentally turning the shower burning hot while I stood beneath the shower head. I cursed before turning it down slightly and washing the alcohol sweat off of my body and hair. I grabbed another Hanes T-shirt from my luggage and begrudgingly a too tight pair of cheaply made jeans. I shoved my iPod in my pocket and quickly grabbed my pass and my book bag.
When I made it to the convention center, the line was three blocks long, I heaved a huge sigh and began toward the end of the line as I put my headphones in my ears. I absently began skipping through the songs, my eyes on my feet as I passed hundreds of fan boys and girls and comic book geeks alike. I heard the opening notes of 'Oh Love' by Green Day. I, as a reflex looked to my iPod with a smile before slamming right into another pedestrian walking the opposite direction.
My headphone ripped out of my ears as I fell on my ass and dropped my iPod, asphalt scratching my palms.
"I am so sorry," said an oddly familiar voice, "let me help you up."
I wiped the dirt off my hands before looking up. Before me stood a man with short dark hair, greying just a bit at the temples, his forehead crinkled with concern. I gasped as he pulled me to my feet. He grabbed my iPod off the ground, "Green Day, huh?"
I nodded quickly.
"You okay?" He asked staring me in the face, his hazel eyes sparkling in the morning sun.
"T-totally," I stuttered as he handed my iPod back to me.
"See you later," he said with a crooked smile, before giving me a parting pat on the shoulder.
Like a ton of bricks recognition hit me. I glanced over my shoulder before unzipping my duffel bag to Berserker, I grabbed it, and flipping it over I recognized a small photo of the same man I had just collided with: Milo.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope everyone's liking it. If you're confused about the subject of this fan fiction, it's Milo Ventimiglia actor and form Heroes star. (Don't judge me.) Suggestions welcome, recommend?