Status: For Nano Wrimo, finished November 28, 2012 at 51,214 words

The New Queen

Shake it Out

Anna shook out her arms and legs. Something bad happened a few weeks before the Pac Rim championships. She tore a minor ligament in her shoulder and couldn’t train at full force. Now the Americans would think she was weak like everyone else. She didn’t want to look weak.
Anna couldn’t stand being injured but she dealt with it. She went to the Pac Rims and pretended that she was okay around other people and when she was alone she would cry and have Maria calm her. It wasn’t good but she wanted to continue competiting. No pain no gain right? And besides, no one could do anything about her shoulder. She couldn’t take so much drugs for the pain and no surgery could fix it. Just rest which wasn’t working.
At Pac Rims Evgeny took vault and bars from Anna’s program so it would be less stress. Evgeny knew Anna very well. By 2012 they had been working together for about six to seven years. It hasn’t been that long but they’re very close. Evgeny knew when she was hurting, she couldn’t act very well. Or, she could act for other people but to him she was bluffing. She wasn’t too excited about these cuts but they weren’t her best events anyways.
During the team final Russia didn’t win a medal. Anna was only allowed to do beam and floor, if she had been allowed to do the team she could have helped them medal.
Anna was left out of three finals before she could finally compete again. She was well rested the day of beam and floor finals. She fell on beam but she wasn’t going to let the gold go on floor. She needed a gold medal. She wanted to show that one good Russian was at Pac Rims. Mostly they sent the inexperienced kids and the injured like Anna. She wanted to prove something and it would be the first time the Americans would see her.

“And here is our final competitor in this floor final” Al Trautwig started. “Anechka Zabrikova…or just Anna as they call her”
“Anna is from Russia she’s just fourteen years old. She’ll be turning fifteen in a few months” Elfi added.
“And the age rule in gymnastics really messed up Russia’s plan. See to qualify age wise you need to be fifteen turning sixteen the year of the Olympics. She’s fourteen turning fifteen which mean’s she’ll have to wait four more years before she can be eligible” Tim explained.
“afraid that she’ll burn out before Rio comes” Elfi started. “But he says she’s perfectly okay with it, she’s excited that she’ll have the experience of three world championships”
“I’m excited to see this young lady grow over the next four years. She’s young, she’s talented and she has so much time to perfect the new code of points starting next year. “ Elfi said.
“Combine with amazing tumbling and choreography. The Russian’s are known for their balletic style. She takes the balletic style added with fun choreography and difficult tumbling. She’s the total package” Elfi said.
“It says she’s only 4 feet ten inches and only eighty pounds” Al said.
“She’s so tiny and so manages to pull off all this tumbling.” Tim said. “You’ll see her first pass is a double twisting double back which is extremely difficult”
Anna got the green flag from the judges. She saluted and stepped onto the blue carpet. Keeping her very calm persona. She had that very serious look to her all the time. Her child-like bangs across the forehead kept her from looking all that serious.
“She needs a 14.8 to take the title” Al said.
“And that is easy for her” Tim said. “All during podium training she’s never missed a single pass or connection”
When the music started it was like she was in her own world She heard no one, she saw no one. It was just her and her fun, cheeky routine.
When she stuck her last pass, a triple full, the crowd went wild. It was a surprise since she was about to take gold over an American at an American event.
She kept that beautiful smile of hers on her face and calmly stepped off the podium.
Her coach, Evgeny Grebenkin, attacked her in a hug. The duo have been working together for YEARS. They became close. Like a father-daughter team.
“And the score is up 15.252! A huge score!” Tim exclaimed. Anna smiled and waved to the crowd. She hugged her team mate and best friend Maria Kharenkova. The two of them jumped up and down and celebrated the win. The Americans weren’t too happy.

Evgeny took all the Russians out to a restaurant that night. It wasn’t the first time a Russian has won a gold medal but it was a glorious win for Russia. A Russian beating an American on home turf is unheard of. They like to use the home crowd advantage and their own special hired judges for higher scores. But the Russians digressed they had a star in little Anna.