Status: Awkwardly Active.

In Case of Emergency, Dial 411

Let Me Know You

The next day at the bus stop I saw Siane sitting on that small piece of cement and I immediately went to greet her.

"Good morning."

She glanced up from her book and said "Morning, Jeremy" then went back to her book.

"Whatcha reading?" I asked trying to make small talk. She flashed the thick beaten paperback book so I could see the cover. "Is it good?"

"Yeah" she answered me without looking up.

I didn't understand why she was being so short with me. A part of myself want to just walk away, it was obvious she wanted me leave her alone. But my other half thought about what happened yesterday afternoon. She needed someone. It wasn't that I felt obligated to do something, I sincerely wanted to do something. To help.

"So, how have you been. You totally left me yesterday."

"I'm okay, thank you. I had to go home." the bus arrived and without another word she got up and boarded it.

During chemistry Siane was acting the same way. Short, cold, and distant. She spoke very few words to me.

"Are you going to homecoming? It's this saturday and tickets go on sell today" Dontae asked during lunch. I hadn't put much thought into it. Then I thought about Siane...

"I don't know" I shrugged honestly "Are you?"

"If I can find a date." he said smiling

"Who are you planning on asking?"

“Honestly,” Dontae looked towards me for approval, I nodded “you know Karstin from gym?”

I thought for a moment but the name didn't ring a bell “The spanish girl that wears the blue shorts and is on the volleyball team? She has like red hair.” He tried jogging my memory.

“Yeah, well good luck with that dude.”

“Thanks I’m gonna need it. Anyways are you done eating?” Dontae asks. I looked at my tray and nod “Good, come with me to the library.” He said getting up.

“Are you going to check out more anime books?” I ask genuinely but it probably came off as a joke.

“Brah, it’s called manga! And no I just need to print something out for my next class.”

“Whatever you say Don, whatever you say” I said not believing my friend.

“Oh look, Siane is here. Surprise, surprise.” Dontae stated sarcastically and sure enough Siane was there sitting by herself.

“Why don’t you ever hangout with your cousin?”

“She’s not exactly the welcoming type. Besides she says it herself. She rather be left alone” Dontae said taking a seat in front of a computer and began typing away.

“Yeah, I kind of figured that part out.” I said

“What is going on between you two?” he asked looking from the computer screen.

“Nothing really” I shrug, my friend looks at with a disbelieving expression “I’m going to go talk to her.” I excuse myself and walkover to the table where Siane was doing some type of school work “Hey” I said sitting across from her. She glanced up from her textbook. At first she smiled but it quickly faded, then she looked even sad. “Hello” she said then looked back down at her textbook.

“What’s up?”

“Homework.”

“So,” I say causally “Homecoming is this saturday.” That catches her attention. She looks up again “I was wondering if, yah know if you didn’t have anything else planned, maybe you would like to come. Like, I mean, would you go to Homecoming with me?” I feel my cheeks burn which was a good indicator that they were quickly turning a hue of crimson. Siane stars at me with what I’m guess is shock and surprise even.

“Um, I don’t know.” she says slowly “I don’t particularly like dances.” Her eyes seem to flutter, I don’t know why.

Is that what girls do before they say no or yes?

I’m so clueless.

“Why not?” I asked

“I’m not sure,” she says looking away “Probably because I’ve never been to one.” she admits and frowns.

“Allow me to take you to your first” I offer, she looks down and shakes her head making her bangs fall in in her face, she brushes them back quickly only to have them fall back into place. “What’s wrong?”

“Why do you want to go to Homecoming with me? I don’t know you. I mean, we don’t even know each really.”

“If that’s the big dilemma then why don’t we hangout get familiar with each other.”

“I don’t know” she repeats. I wonder what makes her so skeptical. The bell rings and she stands up gathering her things and stuffing them in her bag quickly.

“This afternoon right after school come with me. We could just walk and around and talk get something to eat maybe. I’m not a bad guy, trust me”

She studies my face for a few seconds. I feel her analyzing my facial features again. She parts her lips then closes them. I was certain she’d say no.

“Alright, but I ask the questions. Okay?”

“Completely okay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment? Subscribe! Rec.

<3Modern.Sunshine

Happy Thanksgiving lovelies!