Pretty Girls Make Graves

Lovesick

[entre]Image

I woke up the following morning with the alcohol churning in my stomach and the image of Allegra's innocent face clawing at my mind. I felt like an asshole.
While I didn't regret not having sex with her, I did regret the way I had told her. I was beyond pissed off at myself for embarrassing her like that. While I knew that she was only angry because she was upset, I also knew that she was more upset at herself than me. I hated knowing that I had caused all of that; if I didn't want to have sex with her, why did I let it get that far?
I groaned as I sat up on the edge of my bed, the room spinning. I wanted to make it up to her, I wanted to let her know how fucking beautiful and amazing and funny and smart she was.
And how she deserved a lot better than me.
She could have any guy, and she was willing to lose her virginity to me? I would have been the very definition of drunken mistake.
The only thing was, I didn’t even know where to start looking for her. No one could keep tabs on the girl, and that's what made her all the more desirable to me. No one could keep secrets in such a small town, but she did. She always disappeared for months on end before returning and acting like it was all one big joke. She was unusual and quirky and mysterious, and I just wanted to sink my fingers into her until I knew every little detail of her.
My stomach clenched as the image of her with another guy flashed through my mind. I had to find her and tell her that no guy was worthy of her, that I would be the only one to truly appreciate her. If I felt so strongly about her, surely she would feel the same about me? God couldn't just strike me with this thunderbolt and leave her untouched?
I shook my head again and told myself that I was still drunk. What the hell was I rambling on about? The first time I had ever spoken to the girl was yesterday, and even then it's not as if I had been secretly admiring her from afar. The first time I had ever truly noticed her was yesterday, I had never paid much heed to her in high school. Hell, I had never even bothered to say hello to her in the halls as we drifted from class to class.
I tried telling myself that this was all just a side effect of alcohol and too much passion. It would pass, along with the hangover.

++++++++++


She was driving me to insanity.
My headache and twisted stomach had passed by the next day, but thoughts of her didn't. And I couldn't fucking find her anywhere. I had looked about the usual haunts several times; the 7-Eleven, the park, the cinema, everywhere I could think of. She was gone, once again. Everyone I asked if they had seen her didn't even know that she was back in town, and I was close to tugging my hair out in frustration.
A fortnight passed since the night of the party, and my mother went on holiday with some of her girlfriends, leaving Gerard in charge. He had decided after two days that he was tired of looking at my sorry ass, and informed me that we were throwing a house party. I had tried to protest, not in the mood to converse with anyone, knowing that I would spend the entire night thinking that every girl with dark red hair was her.
In the end, I realized that Gerard would be throwing a party, with or without me, so I agreed to it and went to the store with him to get booze. I was aimlessly drifting through the aisles, having left Gerard talking to one of his friends that we bumped into, in a world of my own when I saw her. My heart skipped a beat and I swallowed convulsively, too afraid to blink in case she would disappear once again.
I stood and watched her, my brain desperately telling me to be cool and calm and to go over and talk to her. I was just about to move my feet when I saw her quickly dart her hand out and grab a small tub of make-up and put it in her pocket. I frowned, my body in shock, as I watched her head turning discreetly, clearly trying to look in every direction at once. She slowly moved along the cosmetics aisle, her hand swiftly snatching things off the shelf and putting them in the pocket of her baggy hoody.

"Allegra?"

She froze and slowly turned to face me.

"Mikey," she replied coolly, her fierce expression never faltering once.

It was like I was having an outer body experience. I felt like I was watching myself storm over to her and grab her elbow, dragging her out of the store.

"What the hell?!" she roughly shrugged me off.

"Are you insane?" I hissed.

"What?"

"You're shoplifting," I whispered harshly,
"You could get in massive trouble over this. And over silly little cosmetics at that."

She stared at me for so long that I couldn't interpret whether she was mad, embarrassed or remorseful. Just when I was beginning to feel uncomfortable, she threw her head back and laughed, showing all of her perfect teeth.

"Oh, you are just priceless," she cooed, making me feel like I was two inches tall,
"Relax, Mikes. As you said, it's nothing but silly little cosmetics. No biggie."

"You are actually insane," I said slowly, my brain still trying to register her reaction.

I was expecting her to be mortified; I know I would have been if I had been caught stealing.

"I heard you've been looking for me," she smiled her Cheshire cat smile, causing my pulse to quicken and my body to tighten with arousal.

When I didn't reply, she leaned against the wall and crossed her arms, her long slender legs spread out in front of her.
Oh Jesus, how I had fantasized over those legs. My body tingled as I remember the silky smoothness of them, of the light pressure they had applied against my waist as she moaned and writhed beneath me.

"Well?" she drawled, breaking my daydream.

Allegra Adams did things to me. She could make me forgot what we had been talking about and force me to say exactly what was on my mind without me realizing it.

"You have a Southern accent."

I smirked internally when I saw the peeved expression flash across her features.

"I'm originally from Texas," she shrugged nonchalantly,
"And you didn't answer my question."

"I'm having a party tonight. You should come."

Again, she stared at me blankly for what felt like an eternity, before she pushed herself away from the wall.

"Give me the time and place. You know I'm not one for missing a potential night of fun," she shot me a cheeky wink.

I felt as if her words had a double meaning, but I gave her all the details she needed before she left me in the dust. She turned on her heel and walked off without saying so much as a goodbye, leaving me flabbergasted and feeling like a lovesick fool.