Status: Working on it :)

Life As We Know It

Road Trip

It’s bee about three weeks since I moved in and have had Austin. The funeral was beautiful and many people showed up to give their condolences. I haven’t had to cook in about a week with all the food that I have gotten in the mail. In that time period I have seen James a handful of times. One of those times was him coming over to offer his condolences. He is a really busy guy and has a lot on his plate. I see him more on TV than I do in person. I am starting to get lonely since most of my so called ‘friends’ have not tried to call or text since they found out at the funeral that I have a baby now. My thoughts are interrupted by the doorbell ringing.

“Hi James” I say as I open the door

“Hey Lex” he says with a smile that makes my knees jelly.

“What can I do for you?” I ask

“Actually, we have an almost two week long road trip coming up and I was wondering if you could get both Pauly and my mail for us when I am gone?” he asks and automatically pulls out the puppy dog eyes. I learned during one of his visits that Paul Martin lived right down the road.

“What’s in it for me?” I ask with a smirk and I can see he is taken back.

“What do you want?”

“I’m not sure yet but I will tell you when I figure it out”

“Sure, whatever it is, it’s a deal” he says and starts digging in his pockets. “Here” he says and hands over two keys.

I just stare at if for a few seconds before looking back up at him. “What’s this?”

“A key to our houses so you can drop the mail off” he says

“Of course” I say “Anything else you need while you are gone?”

“Some good luck?” he asks with a smile

“Well you know we will be watching” I say and he automatically looks around

“Where is he? I have kind of missed him” he says and I think my heart skipped a beat.

“He is napping in the living room but you can come in and see him” I say and walk into the living room and look down at him in his pack and play.

“He has grown” he whispers

“Yeah he will be three months in a week and two days. He is already about 12 pounds and 26 inches long.” I say “And in a week it will be my one month with him”

“That’s crazy I feel like you just moved in” he says

“I know” I say back and I see Austin stir a little before whimpering. I pick him up before he starts crying and try to soothe him back to sleep but he is having none of it; soon he is screaming at the top of his lungs. “I’m sorry, if you want to go you can” I say to James and I can see him debating in his head.

“Do you want me to try?” he asks after a few seconds

“You can try” I say and hand him over to James. After a few minutes of rocking and bouncing he finally settles down and snuggles into his chest. He looks at me with a million dollar smile and I think I might faint.

“Well now I know what my secret weapon is” I say to him

“Anytime” he says with a smile still on his face. “Will you give your sister a break while I am gone?” he asks Austin and Austin just blows spit bubbles right back. “I am going to take that as a yes” he says

“Let’s hope so” I say and stroke his cheek.

“I’m serious, if you need anything you can call me” he says and takes out his phone.

“Look at you getting comfortable with him” I say and gesture to his one handed hold.

He gives me his phone and readjusts Austin “Well now I know I won’t break him with the slightest move”

After punching in my number and house phone number I texted my phone so I had his too. “Thanks for this James” I say and give his phone back.

“No problem” he says “I better bet going I still need to pack” he says and moves to the front door.
“Men, they wait to do everything at the last second” I say and follow him he opens up the door and right before he steps out I stop him “Um, forgetting something?” I ask

“Oh right, thanks Lex” he says and gives me a kiss on the cheek.

“I was actually talking about Austin, but you’re welcome” I said and blushed

“Oh right” he said with a blush of his own and handed Austin back to me.

He walks out the front door and I stop him once more “James,” I say and he turns around “Good luck and kick some ass”

“Will do” he says “We are leaving Thursday and won’t be back until the Monday after next week”

“Okay, I will see you later. Bye” I say and watch him wave and walk across the frosty lawn.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The week had been going good, quiet but good. Since I was getting James and Paul’s mail I got to see the insides of their houses. It was a little awkward the first time I walked in to both; it felt like I was invading their spaces but pushed that thought away since they asked me to do it. Their homes were very different; the layout was pretty much the same like all the houses in this neighborhood but the insides were very different.

You could tell Paul has lived here longer because he actually had furniture and walls painted. James’ house looked abandoned; the only rooms that had anything in them were his kitchen and living room, I imagine his bedroom had stuff in it too. Yes, I will admit I did look around a little but it’s not like I went into his room and through his underwear drawer. His walls were all white and most rooms empty. The only things in his living room were a huge wrap around couch and a big screen TV. Boys and their toys.

I was in the middle of heating up Austin’s bottle and something for me to eat in the microwave when my cell phone rang.

“Hello?” I answered

“Hey Lex!” I heard from the other line and I paused for a second.

“Hey James, what’s up?” I ask

“Nothing much, we just got out of practice and now we are heading back to the hotel. What are you up to?”

“I am about to feel Austin a bottle and eat some lunch” I said as I tested the bottle.

“Oh I almost forgot, Happy One Month!” he said then I heard talking and shuffling in the background. “Hang on” I heard him say before he started talking to someone in the background “No I am not dating anyone… it’s my neighbor on the phone…I’m not sleeping with her” I could hear him say and I blushed. “Sorry about that” he says “Some people just can’t mind their own business” he says but I know it’s not directed at me.

“Its fine and thank you, it means a lot” I say as I put the phone on speaker so I can pick up Austin to feed him. After I get him situated I grab the phone and make my way to the living room.

“Has he been good like I asked?” I could hear the smile in his voice

“Surprisingly, yes” I say

“Good, have you been watching?” he asks

“Yes and that call on Malkin in the third against San Jose was bull shit!”

I am met with the sound of James laughing then him telling someone what I said “Geno agrees and says that you are smart”

“Well, tell him thank you and that I know you guys are going to kick LA’s asses tonight”

“I hope so” he says after he relays the message and I hear a holler of appreciation.

“I have faith in you” I say and Austin starts gurgling “And so does Austin” I say and hold the phone up to him. He makes a few sounds before I pull it back up to my ear to find James chuckling.

“Well now we have to win, I can’t let you two down” he says

“Damn right, I want a goal and an assist” I say

“Yes ma’am” he says “We just got back to the hotel and I need to eat lunch before a nap”

“I’m sorry is your name Austin? Because that sounds a lot like his upcoming events.”

“Ha Ha, you’re really funny”

“I’m just kidding. Go, I don’t want to ruin your ritual”

“You’re not ruining anything; I will talk to you later”

“Okay, good luck tonight James. Bye”

“Bye Lex” he says then disconnects.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Since the game is on the west coast it doesn’t start here until 9:30 our time. I was tired but I stayed up to watch for James. It was the middle of the third and he already had an assist. I briefly wondered if he was thinking about what I said because he was taking shots left and right. They were ahead by one but I never liked to call it a success or defeat until the final buzzer sounded.

Time was winding down and I didn’t think he was going to get the goal but he caught a lucky bounce as he came off the bench and was in a breakaway.

“Come on!” I pretty much yelled and in the back of my mind I hoped I didn’t wake Austin. When he pulled his stick back I knew he was going for a slap shot and I held my breath. It went top shelf and into the net. I fist pumped and did a small victory dance before crashing on the couch. I thought being a fan was exhausting but when you personally know someone it is so much worse and better. Time expired and I was relieved. I grabbed my phone and sent him a quick text saying good job, knowing he probably won’t read it for a while.

After the game I turned everything off downstairs and made sure everything was locked before making my way upstairs for bed. I was just about to fall asleep when I heard my phone vibrate from the bedside table.

I open up the message and see it is from James “What do I get?”

“For what?” I ask back

“For that goal and assist” he says and I get butterflies in my stomach

“What do you want?”

“Let’s hang out when I get back” he says after a few minutes

“Okay, is that all?” I ask
“For now” comes his reply and that made my body tingle for some reason. ‘It’s probably because you haven’t gotten laid in about two months’ the voice in the back of my head says.

“Well if you have not noticed it is almost one here and I need all the sleep I can get.” I text back

“Of course, go to sleep I will talk to you later”

“Good night James”

“Sweet dreams Lex” he texted back and I shut my eyes for as much time as Austin allowed me to have.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay but I will try to be better in the future.
I would love to hear your thought!

Kirsten :)