Summer Love

osiemnaście

I paced nervously as I waited until the clock struck eight. It was when the concert began. The boys were already in their dressing room, getting changed for their performance. I didn’t want them to see me yet. Liam was the only one that knew I was going to be there. He’s the one that sent me the backstage pass to the show. The last three days were like torture. I couldn’t wait for this day to come and now that it’s finally here, I’m a nervous wreck.

I glanced at the time at my wrist over and over again. Paul was watching over me while I waited for the boys. He was also helping with keeping a look out for anyone I shouldn’t see at the moment. I was taping my foot as the bigger hand finally hit the mark. It was eight o’clock. The boys should be out soon. I turned to face Paul when he grabbed me and dragged me behind a speaker.

“Hey,” a female voice sounded, “have you seen Zayn?”

I knew that voice. It was the voice of his ex… or so I thought she was. My heart beat increased. I waited for the person to reply, but there was none. She asked the same question to, I think, another person. This time he answered.

“He’s in his changing room with the others,” his accent flowed lightly.

“Okay,” I could hear the smile in her voice, “tell him I need to talk to him if you see him. Thanks.”

Paul popped up from the floor and checked both ways. He nodded and helped me up.

“I feel shit for doing this,” Paul crossed his arms, “you shouldn’t have been dumped that way.”

“So it’s official. Perrie and Zayn are back together. I was wondering why he hadn’t been calling me for a long while,” I sighed as I ran a hand through my locks, “either way,” I faced Paul, “he should have talked to me about it. I cared about him. Why would he do this to me?” I felt the corner of my eye twitch.

“I know, love,” he patted my shoulder, “that black eye of his ain’t going away soon either.”

“Black eye?” I asked.

I’ve read the news on the recent activity. I haven’t looked at photos though. It was too heartbreaking to see him. I was still seething with anger from him. Zayn had a black eye? From where?

“Yeah,” Paul smirked, “he got a good punch in the eye from Louis.”

I looked up at Paul quickly, “Louis?” I nearly hollered.

“Devin,” I lashed around to face Liam, “hey.”

“Hi Liam,” I went to hug him, “thank you so much for this.”

“Remember, stay hidden. They can’t see you until after the concert,” he told me a hushed voice.

“I kno-”

“Devin!” an Irish brogue caugh me off guard.

“Damn,” Liam cursed, “Niall,” he grabbed him and me behind a curtain.

“Liam,” Niall laughed, “you didn’t tell me Devin was going to be here.”

“That’s because it’s supposed to be a surprise,” he explained.

“I know why you’re here. Perrie is here. This is going to be a lot of fun,” he snickered to himself.

“Look,” I got his attention, “no one is supposed to know. You can’t tell the other boys. You knowing is already ruining the plan.”

“Plan?”

“Yes,” I nodded, “the plan I have yet to come up with.”

“You can always just smack Zayn as a start.”

I laughed, “I thought about that but, I don’t want to be on bad terms with any of you guys. Liam is my step brother and I’m stuck with you guys.”

“True.”

“Okay,” Liam looked around the curtain, “we have to go. The concert is starting.”

“See ya,” Niall pecked me on the cheek.

I waved and waited until I spotted all the boys. I saw Zayn standing there, making sure his eye was covered up. Louis’ stance was one of a cops. He was looking at Zayn like he was lower than scum. Harry was Harry. Bubbly, smiling Harry. He talked to Liam and Niall as the other two stayed as far apart as they can. Niall laughed and Harry shot up. He looked around as Liam tried to get his attention.

“Last call,” a crew member shouted, “boys, you’re on.”

Zayn was the first to go on stage, then Liam. Louis followed in an angry pace. Niall looked back at where I stood. Harry followed his gaze then found me. He waved stupidly at me with a large smile across his face. I waved back then waved my arms indicating that he should go on stage. He looked over his shoulder and waved again as he continued onto the stage to perform.

I sighed, going over to a stool by an amp that was not being used, while Paul stood guard. I truly missed the boys. Niall and Harry would always be by my side. Whether it be cheering me up after a bad day at work or just to talk. Usually our conversations never were about anything specific. I was just glad to have them in my life. Same goes for Liam, Louis, and even Zayn.

__________________________________________________

“Thank you New York,” Harry shouted into his microphone, waving to the crowd.

“See you next time guy,” Niall bowed and exited the stage.

Soon all the bys were off stage. The crowd continued to cheer as the lights dimmed out. The concert was finally over. It was my chance to console the boys. It was time for me to straighten things out with them. I had to fix the relationship between Louis and Zayn. It was my fault anyway. I hated myself for doing that. They were all such good friends, until I showed up.

“Devin,” Harry jumped over to me as I made it halfway to them, “I’ve missed you so much!”

“As did I,” I hugged back.

“Dev, love,” Niall smiled, hugging me next.

Liam stood back as I took in the faces of Zayn and Louis. Zayn’s eyes dripped with fear and shock. He looked nervous and pained. Louis looked hurt and sorrowful. It was as if he was back in grade school. His eyes were big and wet looking.

“Hey Liam,” I walked over to him, “thank you again.”

“Of course,” we hugged.

“Now,” I took a big breath, “it’s time to straighten some things out.”

I turned on my heel and placed my hands on my hips. My eyes found Zayn’s, then Louis’. I couldn’t handle Louis at the moment. I knew what to do with Zayn and how to go about it. Louis, on the other hand, was different. I was unsure how to go about it.

“Zayn,” I took his hand, “can we talk.”

Zayn nodded, not saying a word. I saw Perrie in my peripheral vision. Her eyes were big and angry. I ignored her and took Zayn to a private room. I sat him down and sighed. How should I start?

“Zayn,” my voice was filled with hurt.

“I’m sorry,” he began to get up, but I stopped him.

“Zayn, please listen,” I ran a hand over my face to focus, “I’m not mad at you.”

“But-”

I shook my head, “no,” I looked him in the eye, “if she makes you happy be with her.”

“Devin, I-”

“It’s perfectly fine. You had to deal with the feelings I had for Louis and you knew it. You accepted it. Perrie is lovely girl. If she makes you happy then so be it. That’s all I want. I just really wish you had spoken about it to me. I would have liked to know. I would have liked a proper break-up.”

“I couldn’t,” he sighed, the tension easing in his shoulders.

“Why not?”

“Louis would have killed me,” he answered in honesty.

“I doubt that Zayn,” I scoffed.

“I swear,” he closed his eyes, “he said if I broke your heart, he would have my balls.”

“Well,” I bit my lip, “you still did break my heart Zayn.”

“And for that I am really sorry,” he got up and grabbed my hands into his, “I really didn’t mean for this to happen. Perris, she just-”

“I understand Zayn. You two had history I just wish I could take back that night I had with you.”

With that I got up and exited to room. Zayn had really hurt me. I was happy that he found happiness with Perrie. I just wish I hadn’t given myself up to him so easily. I had to learn how to hold back my feelings.

When I returned, Louis was only one to be found. His hands were stuffed in his pockets. His eyes darted to me. They were wide with anxiety. He looked like a lost puppy.

My strides were big as I made my way out of the venue. I still wasn't ready to face him. The tears found their way out at that moment. Louis’ voice called out for me. I wasn't ready. I couldn't talk to him. Especially not in this state. My arm was snatched and I was pulled into a warm embrace, my sobs growing louder. His arms wrapped around me and I pounded against his chest. My emotions didn’t make sense to me. I fell to the ground, his arms still twined around my body. He followed suit in my actions. The tears filling the chilled, silent, night air.
♠ ♠ ♠
Devin's Outfit

I know it's been awhile, but here's an update. I haven't had time since I'm almost a senior in my trade school! Yay! I have shit tons to do. I'll try my best to stop neglecting so long! Either way. This story seems to be coming to an end soon. I only have a few more ideas! Perhaps two more chapters or so? Not sure :D Stay tuned!
Please comment, Rec, and/or Subscribe! Thank you all for those who have!!! I love you guys!!!! :D

X Dani