Summer Love

pięć

I sipped the tea as Liam finished making his own cup. He made sure to keep quiet and not wake anyone up. He closed the cupboard silently. Once he finished, he sat back down across from me.

“So,” he blew on his hot tea, “what does that ring mean?”

I looked back down at the ring at the center of the small table, “I got it from Louis,” I put my mug down, “he gave it to me a week before I left London.”

“And what is the meaning behind it?” Liam took a sip of his tea, making a face indicating he burnt his tongue.

I stifled a laugh, “well,” I composed myself, “he said it meant that I was his first.”

Liam almost choked on his own spit, “first,” he exclaimed!

“Oh, God,” I giggled, “no, no! Not that. I mean I was his first summer love.”

“First summer love?” he questioned.

I sighed, “yes, his first summer romance. He said he never felt the way he did before he met me.”

Liam made a noise from deep inside his throat. His facial expression screwed up as if he were confused.

“Look Liam,” I stared at my half empty mug, “I still have feelings for him,” my eyes rolled up to look at my step-brother, “but just because I still have these feelings for him, doesn't mean I’m going to do anything. You did say he has a girlfriend now. So, all I can do is support him with his relationship. I don’t want to be the bitch who got between them. I don’t want your fans to murder me with their death glares or what not. I've been in fandoms before. I know how some things work out,” I laughed.

Liam just stared at me, not saying a word. He was too quiet. I grew uneasy under his glare.

“Devin,” he said my name for the first time.

I stared at him, “what?” I was afraid of what he was going to say.

“I hope you’re right,” he sat back in his seat, his hands still on his cup.

“I won’t do anything, Liam,” I made my stare stronger. My orbs giving off my sincerity.

He nodded and sipped his tea again, “It would suck to have a bitch of a step-sister.”

I laughed, “I can still be a bitch to you Liam,” I bit my lip.

“So,” he cleared his throat, “How old are you?”

I smiled at him, “I’m nineteen.”

“So, you’re about a year older than me,” his head bobbed, “that mean, dad…”

I sighed and cut him off before he could continue, “he left about a month before my first birthday. And the last time I saw him, before today, was when I was around nine.”

Liam frowned at me. It was an expression that was almost always plastered on his face. It just made me want to slap him. Instead, I said nothing else and scratched the top of my hand as if there was an inch there.

His eyes moved back to the ring. Still no words were formed from him. I grew more nervous.

Finally, I got up and placed my empty mug in the sink. As I turned, I crossed my arms over my chest, “I guess I’ll see you in the morning.”

I as at the door and I heard him call my name, so I swiveled around to face him, “Devin,” he got up, “I’m sorry.”

His hands were in the pockets of his long plaid pants. His V-neck shirt rose as he shrugged, revealing his side slightly.

“Liam,” I folded my hands together, “I’m sorry for intruding in your life and making it complicated. I know you don’t want me here, but Geoff is my dad as well. I know he doesn't really care about me as much as you, but it doesn't change anything. He is biologically my father. I wish he didn’t skip out on me, but then her wouldn't have met Karen. And you wouldn't have been born into their family. And I can say that I’m glad Karen is happy and that you’re here. It’s just that fate or destiny or whatever is telling us something,” I told him in honesty, “Like always,” I added with a small chuckle.

Liam stood by the small table, not moving. He had been looking down at the floor, then his eyes darted to look at her, “Devin,” his face looked distorted, “I’m not blaming anything on you.”

“It felt as if you were,” I scoffed.

“I know and I’m really sorry,” he ran his hand through his non-existent hair, “I just,” he sighed, “It was just so sudden when I was told this news.”

“Me, too,” I cut in, “I mean,” I shifted my weight from foot to foot, “I didn’t know I had a brother. My father was not very sharing about it. All he mentioned was getting married and staying in London. I knew that he had children, but I never knew the gender or age. He didn’t say anything about his personal life.”

Liam moaned, “Devin,” he moved closer to me, “I’m really sorry.”

“Oh, shut up, Liam,” I snapped. I felt my eyes prickle with tears, “I,” I sniffled, “It wasn’t your fault,” I started to sob, “You make me sound like a charity case. You making me sound like a poor excuse of human being.”

“I never meant that. I‘m sure your mother,” he began, but I interrupted him.

“Shut up!” I burst out loudly, “don’t say anything about my mother. You don’t know her. She did a fantastic job in raising me. So did my step-father. I have a wonderful family now. I have two loving parents and an insane sister. They love me and I love them,” I felt my knees buckle.

Liam rushed to my side. He held onto me as we both slid to the floor. His arms were wrapped around me in a protective way, “Devin,” he mumbled into my hair.

“Shut up, Liam,” I grumbled through a sob, “you,” I broke down, “you don’t know anything,” my voice got smaller by each word.

“Devin,” he cooed, “it’s okay. I think you turned out great.”

“Shu-,” I tried to speak.

“Shh,” he hushed me, as he started to rock us back and forth, “it’s okay.”

He just held me as we both sat on the floor at the door way. The only thing that could be heard was my haphazard sobbing. I tried to control myself. I tried my damnedest to stop crying. Memories of lost birthday’s and school plays ran through my head. My childhood sucked, up until my mother got re-married. It was a bit too late though, which was the sad part.

“They tried,” I choked out.

“What,” Liam continued to hold me, although the rocking ceased.

“My parents,” I whispered, “they tried their best. No one is perfect, but they were to me.”

“That’s how I feel about my mum and dad,” Liam nodded in agreement.

“I’m sorry, Liam,” I took a deep breath once my last sob escaped my lips. My voice sounded shaky, but I urged myself on, “I’m sorry about intruding and I’m sorry for making myself look like an asshole.”

“You weren't an asshole,” he laughed, “I was. I should have given you a chance.”

“You should have,” I giggled a little.

“How about you come to the studio tomorrow with me,” Liam helped me off the ground.

I brushed off my shirts, “I don’t think I’m ready to face Louis just yet.”

“I think you are,” he forced, “give it a go.”

I sighed and folded my hands in front of me, “I guess.”

“There you go again,” Liam smiled, “Miss I guess has returned.

“Sorry,” I rubbed the nape of my neck, “I over that word. Even Fantastic. It’s just a,”

“Fantastic word,” Liam laughed.

“Yeah.”

“Let’s go to bed,” Liam yawned.

With that we both headed to our rooms. There was no hug or awkward hand shake. We just both waved from our doorways and went to bed. Once my body hit the comforter I was out like a light. No bad dreams either. It was going to be a good nights rest.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's a bit short this time, but it's fine. No one like chapters that are novels on their own.
Please Comment, Subscribe, and/or Recommend!

X Dani