Status: Active

When Night Breaks

Samantha: Thanksgiving

"Jay's in his room. He's not ready," Leo said instantly as I walked in their house.

I gave Leo a thumbs up and made my way to Jay's room. He was standing over his bed that was covered in shirts, ties and socks. Seeing him without a shirt only happened once before. So, it was quite the surprise to see his muscular back and lean body as I walked through the doorway. He turned to look at me, despair in his eyes.

"Help me," he uttered.

"What's wrong?" I chuckled.

"I have no idea what to wear."

Jay had on a pair of dark colored, great fitting jeans. I myself was wearing black leggings, a long red sweater and a black scarf. I scanned Jay's bed and found a tie that matched my sweater almost exactly.

"Do you have a black button up shirt?" I asked.

"Uh, yeah, there's one in my closet."

"Put it on, with this tie. Leave the jeans."

Jay walked over and kissed my cheek. Having his shirtless body so close to me made me blush.

"Thank you. I'll be ready in just a minute."

Image

The drive to my parents' home was filled with Jay worrying about not being good enough, or not looking nice enough.

"Jay, honey, calm down," I insisted as we pulled into the driveway.

He shut the engine off but remained in his seat. After a few deep breaths, he came around and opened my door. We walked up on the porch and I rang the door bell. Jay was shaking his leg and taping his hand against his thigh. I nudged his side with my elbow. My mother answered the door with a smile.

"Sammy, it's so good to see you! You must be Jay. Come in!"

We walked into the living room where I was greeted with hugs from both parents. My dad reached out and shook Jay's hand.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Nayn," Jay said.

"Nice to meet you to. Call me Don. Have a seat."

Jay took a seat next to me on the love seat, as my parents sat opposite of us on the larger sofa.

"Jay, Sam hasn't told us much about you, but it's nice to meet you," my mom spoke up.

"Well, thank you. I really do appreciate you having me," Jay's voice was always charming, but today he had an extra hint of charm to him.

"Tell us, how did you two meet?"

"At a ball game at the university," I replied.

"Oh," said dad, "are you a student there, too?"

"Uh no. My best friend and roommate is a professor there and I tag along with him some."

"Oh okay. Are you going to school anywhere?" I knew the questions would be rolling in. I only hoped Jay had answers.

"No sir. I've actually graduated from a college in a New York a couple years ago," a quick but good lie.

"Really? So you're what? Mid twenties?" The age difference was something I never considered an issue, but now realized it could be to my parents.

"Yes sir, I'll turn 25 in a few months."

"And you're from New York?"

"I'm originally from Chicago but moved to New York for school." A half truth: Jay did move to New York not only because he was running, but so that Leo could finish college.

"Very nice. Are your parents still in Chicago?" Asked my mom.

"No ma'am. I actually grew up in the foster care system. My roommate and his family took me in when I was a teenager but they sadly passed away some years back." Jay could speak in a way that showed his heartbreak but still showed great strength in the face of tragedy.

"Oh I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," he smiled politely.

"Do you work?" A blunt shift of subject at the hands of my father.

"Leo, my roommate, also has a small independent lab he runs for profit and I consult and am employed by him because of my degree in biology, specifically genetics."

I was super impressed with Jay's made up answers. I could tell by the look on my parents' face that they were also impressed.

"Uh Sam, would you care to help me care some refreshments in from the kitchen?"

I glanced at Jay and he gave me a look to indicate he would be okay alone with my father for a moment.

I followed my mom into the kitchen and made sure we were out of ear shot of Jay and my dad.

"What do you think?" I asked.

"Well, he's very attractive. Super handsome. He seems okay," my mother smiled.

"So, you like him?"

"Yeah I do. He's a little older than I imagined but he seems to be very intelligent and really have a lot going for him. But his childhood seems very sad. Did he grow up pretty well in foster care?"

"He had it rough," I said, "but he's strong."

"He looks strong. Don't think I didn't notice his muscles," my mother laughed like a teenage girl, and I soon followed suit.

We made our way back into the living room with the three cups of coffee and my tea. After a few minutes of small talk and catching up, the phone rang. Almost instantaneously, the oven timer dinged. Dad got up and answers the phone in his office as mom hurried to the kitchen. I stood up and motioned Jay to follow.

"Come on, I'll show you around."

"You sure? Your parents won't mind?"

"Nah it's cool. Come on," I took his hand and led him the stair case.

He stopped at the bedroom next to mine. The door was shut but he still stood and stared.

"Sawyer's room," he said.

"Yeah. How did you know?"

"I can just feel it."

"That's amazing. When I still lived here, I used to go into his room and just sit. It helped bring him closer."

"I understand," he smiled and turned to my room, "so this is your old room?"

We entered the bedroom I lived in for years. Most things I had taken with me when I moved, but the bed and few pieces of furniture remained because they didn't fit in my apartment.

As Jay looked around, I closed the bedroom door. I walked over to where he stood and wrapped my arms around him.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"What's it look like I'm doing?"

"Samantha. This is your parents' house."

"So?" I whispered, slightly pulling his tie down to that his lips reached mine.

"Don't you think it's weird?"

"No."

I backed up slowly until the back of my legs touched the footboard of my old bed. I brushed my lips against Jay's neck, ever so lightly. In unison, we leaned down until he was laying on top of me on the bed.

Before a few weeks ago, Jay and I hardly ever even kissed. Things had progressed some, but nothing past a few makeout sessions. He flashed a mischievous smile at me before leaning in to me.

His breath was warm and inviting on my neck; it sent chills and an urge of adrenaline through my entire body. His hands moved up my waist and rested right below my ribs. With more pressure than before, his lips found the flesh of my neck. He moved to my lips, taking my bottom lip lightly between his teeth. I placed my hands on his face, pulling him in to me. The kiss was deep and I let my tongue explore his mouth as his hands caressed my waist.

Before I could even comprehend what was happening, Jay jerked me up fast, opened the door and spun back around to face me. His eyes were white as snow. He blinked, shook his head lightly and his eyes returned to normal. Quickly, he grabbed an honors metal resting on the dresser, and studied it like he had been holding it the entire time.

"Sammy? Oh there you are!" My father walked into my room.

"Hey...dad."

"Oh, showing him your metals and stuff, huh?" He asked.

"Oh, yeah," I laughed.

"Your mom said dinner is about ready if you want to come on down."

"Okay. Thank you! We'll be down in just a second."

After I made sure my father was back downstairs, I walked over to Jay.

"What was that?!" I sometimes forgot how fast he was. This time, his speed saved us from getting caught.

"I heard your dad's footsteps when he started up the stairs. My adrenaline was up so high already, " he smirked, "that it allowed me to change and change back really quick."

"Impressive. And good. How embarrassing would that have been?" I chuckled.

"It would have been terrible."

I leaned up and kissed his cheek before going downstairs to the awaiting feast.

Image

Dinner was exceptional and the conversation wasn't bad either. Jay volunteered himself and I to clear the table and do the dishes. After moments of refusing to let him, mom finally gave in.

As we began to put on our coats and say our goodbyes, my dad pulled me aside.

"I'm so glad to see you, angel."

"Thanks, daddy."

"I think he may be alright." He glanced at Jay. "He's crazy about you. I can tell. I don't like it, because you're my baby girl, but I can tell."

"Dad..." I wasn't sure how to respond.

"We don't have to talk about it. Just know, I'll always love you more."

"I know dad. I love you too."

"It's real, isn't it?" He asked.

"What?"

"With Jay. You love him, don't you? Don't be embarrassed. It happens to the best of us," he joked.

I smiled and nodded lightly. I glanced over at my mom who was talking and laughing with Jay. She smiled at me as my eyes shifted to Jay. I walked over to them and gave my mom a hug.

"Keep him, I like him," she whispered in my ear.

I smiled and stood next to Jay. Dad shook his hand one last time, and mom gave him a big hug; she always was a hugger. We stepped outside after saying goodbye and Jay opened the passenger door for me. Before stepping in, I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Uh, Samantha. I think your parents are still watching us."

"I know." I said.

I leaned in and kissed him, earning a kiss in return.

"I don't care if they see."

I glanced back one last time, to see both my parents standing inside the door just as Jay had suspected. I smiled, looked over at Jay in the drivers seat and caught his eye.

"What?"

"I love you so much," I said.

"I love you too, Samantha Nayn."

One last kiss was exchanged as I smiled at my parents gawking in the door.