Status: Active

When Night Breaks

Jay: High Alert

Was it wrong that I followed her? Probably. I can’t even explain why I felt so compelled to survey her. I suppose it was because I wanted to know her. If I ever got the chance to actually talk to her, I wanted to know what to say. I sought out to understand everything there was to know. What she liked, what she didn’t, who her friends are, and things like that. In a matter of a few days, I memorized her schedule. I figured out all the places I could be without being spotted by her or anyone else. Was what I was doing creepy? Maybe so. But I had this ever-present feeling that something was going to happen. I couldn’t pinpoint it down to an event, or to even a day, but I knew that whatever was going to occur involved her. And it wasn’t going to be good.

Image

“Leo, I’m going out. Don’t wait up on me.”

“You’ve lost your effin’ mind! It’s 10 o’clock. You can’t go out. What’s been going on with you, Jay?
You’ve left like every night for the past week and you stay out even when it’s dark,”

“You’re starting to sound like you’re my mother.”

“I don’t care what I sound like. I don’t want you going out!”

“Listen Leo, I’m always careful. You should know that by now. I’m not going to do anything stupid.”

“Is this about that girl?” He questioned me as though he had made a sudden realization. I lied.

“What girl?” I thought I sounded convincing enough.

“That girl from the other night. The one that saw you. You know what? I don’t want to know. Just go. Just don’t tell me what’s going on so I won’t worry.”

“I think it’s cute you worry about me, Leo.” I jokingly teased him, while rustling his hair. He pushed away my hand, smirked a little, and nodded for me to leave.

When Samantha arrived at the party, I was watching her. I could sense she was nervous about something. For some odd reason, I could almost feel what she felt. When she was nervous, scared, or whatever the case may be. Tonight, she was uneasy. That put me on high alert. With it being nighttime, I was already vigilant of any close danger or threats. It was when a man walked up to her and I noticed her face blushing that I realized why she was so anxious. She was here to meet him. She had a boyfriend, or at least a potential one. I had misconceived her nervousness of a simple crush as one of fear. Why then, was I, involuntarily, still cautiously watchful of danger to approach at any moment?

I went back to the house and crawled into bed. I knew that I had no reason to feel jealous over the guy Samantha was with tonight. I didn’t even know her, and she certainly didn’t know me. But it would be a lie to say that I didn’t feel something when I seen them dancing. The way he held her and looked at her made me realize that I would never be able to do that. Not just with Samantha, but with anybody. My fate was sealed to one that didn’t include dancing at a bonfire or surprise first kisses. And for a moment, I was glad that she was with him tonight. I was happy that she could have the kind of life that I was destined against.