Status: Contest Entry

Dreams Become Reality

02

I was practically skipping along the sidewalk as I made my way back to my apartment.

I. Am. Done.

My finals were a breeze and I got out of all three of them early, which gave me time to clear my head in between. It felt amazing to know that I was done. Four years of college under my belt. I couldn’t wait to start looking for teaching positions. I haven’t mentioned anything to my parents or Jon, but I have applied at a few schools in Chicago. I was really hoping I got at least one of them.

As I get closer to the apartment, I saw that there was a florist’s van sitting in front of it. My steps falter, but only for a second. I jogged the rest of the way and greeted the delivery guy on the sidewalk.

“May I help you?” I asked.

He glanced down at his clipboard and then looked back up at me. “I have a delivery for a Miss Melody Toews.”

I cringed at the sound of my birth name and at the fact that this guy butchered it. I quickly glanced around to make sure none of my neighbors heard him, I sighed when I noticed no one. Here at West Chester I used my mother’s maiden name so I wouldn’t get special treatment. There were only a few people who knew that I was a Toews.

“That’s me.” I smiled politely. He gave me a nod and went to his truck. When he came back over to me, I gasped. He had a [urls= http://favim.com/image/288180/]huge[/url] bouquet of roses in his arms. I smiled and took them from him, searching for a card. “Thank you.”

He smiled and nodded before he got back into his van. ‘ah hah’ I exclaimed when I found the tiny white rectangle. I ripped open the envelope and smiled when I saw Jon’s familiar handwriting on the card.

Mel. I am so proud of you. You are finally done college! Congratulations. These flowers are from Shawna, myself, and the guys. We all love you and can’t wait to see you. Also remember, “Dreams don’t come true if you give up. Each day you get another chance to make it into reality“. You are one step closer to your dream and I couldn’t be happier to be your brother. Love you. Forever, Jon

I smiled through the tears that were falling down my face. Even on one of the most important days of his career, Jon had the heart to send me flowers. They all did. I quickly sent a text to my brother thanking him and the rest of the guys.

When I got inside, I stood in the living room staring at the flowers trying to figure out what to do with them. There were so many of them. I set them on the table and began looking for anything to put some of them in. Twenty minutes later I had two vases and a couple washed out two liter soda bottles filled with roses. I took the biggest setting of flowers and placed them in my room and leaned the card against it. I smiled at the flowers before pulling out my suitcase and opening my closet.

I spent the rest of the day listening to music and packing for my trip to Chicago and then home. I was shipping most of the stuff to Canada today and tomorrow so I wouldn’t have to worry about it. I wanted to ship it Jon’s place, but that would give away my secret about the jobs I had applied too. I was really looking forward to my annual trip to the city because today I found out that I have an interview with one of the elementary schools I applied too. I haven't told Jon or my parents yet, I was going to wait until I was there.

When I finished with most of the packing, I glanced at the clock and noticed that I had killed most of my afternoon and evening. So I ordered a pizza and got ready to watch Jon and the Blackhawks play Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals.