Sequel: When Two Become One

Breaking Away

Scout's Honor

We walked around the woods for another hour just doing nothing. We followed Matt’s rule and did not stray from the main path. Well, one of us did. We think that Kourt went to the bathroom in a patch of poison ivy because she claims there was a weird looking plant next to her. I think she’s just a little paranoid. By the time we got back to the cabin the sun was setting and our hungers were ravenous. The guy’s voices were drifting to us from the backyard so we walked around to the back to find the guys preparing the night's festivities. Jimmy and Zacky were trying to get a flame to stay lit, Matt and Brian were putting the beer on ice, and Johnny was planted on his butt doing nothing. Johnny noticed that we had arrived and welcomed us back.

“Thank God, the girls are back. Someone can prepare the food now.” Johnny said with relief.

“No problem Johnny. Where is it? I’ll start on it.” Kourt offered.

Liz and I looked at each other in disbelief. I could not believe that she was so quick to jump on the task. It was quite amusing actually.

“Do you think she would jump through a ring of fire if he asked her to?” Liz said under her breath.

“I know, tell me about it.” I agreed.

“Hey Sierra,” Zacky called, “can you help me with the fire? Jimmy bailed out on me.”

“Yeah sure, I can finally put my girl scout training to good use.” I said while leaving Liz to stand there by herself.

“Wow!” Liz said in amazement. She had a quiet chuckle at that statement.

Zacky’s POV

As she walked over I couldn’t help but think back to what the guys said. I really didn’t want to piss Matt off or betray his friendship. I couldn’t be so obvious about me feelings. Whatever I felt for Sierra had to be nipped in the bud. Studying her appearance didn’t help though. Being out in the afternoon sun had given her cheeks a sun-kissed look that made her radiate in the glow from the sunset. The hazel eyes that she shared with Matt sparkled as she looked to see what she could do to help the fire along. I knew that I couldn’t let her beauty get the best of me.

“You need help or something?” She asked.

“Yeah, do you have any idea how to get this fire started? I’ve run into some trouble with this.”

She took the logs from my hand and built some strange looking thing out of them. Striking a match she lit up a bit of newspaper and stuck it under the wood. In no time at all a small fire was blazing.

“God you’re amazing!” I said staring at the fire that continued to grow.

I looked up at her to see that she was turning a light shade of red. I smiled at her and yelled at the guys to let them know that Sierra had the fire going. Chairs were pulled around the fire and hot dogs on roasting sticks were shoved into the bonfire. Jimmy passed beers around and the night started off great. Right as we started to toast marshmallows my phone rang in my pocket. I took a swig of my beer and looked to see who was calling. Looking at the caller ID I nearly spit my beer out. This was not a call that I was going to enjoy.