Status: I promise to try to maybe update every week.

Stole My Heart

Chapter 35

Things did start taking a turn for the better. Niall and I got out to the movie theaters. No one recognized us until after the movie, and they were still really nice. They asked for Niall’s autograph, and event told me I looked nice. I loved not being hated.

“Hey, I saw what you did for the little girls an’ all. It was really nice,” one girl said.

“Thanks, it was a lot of fun, and the boys loved it too,” I said with a smile. She nodded shyly and followed her friends back to the car. Niall took my hand and we went home. The other boys were passed out. They’d been watching a movie. Niall and I laughed and took the bed.

He wrapped his arm around me and whispered, “I love you, Mel.”

“I love you too, Niall,” I said, hugging him before we both fell asleep.

Of course, we got teased for it in the morning.
Niall and I woke up to the other boys giggling at us from the kitchen.

“So, what did you two do last night?” Louis asked, trying and failing not to giggle.

“Each other!” Harry blurt out before laughing and I hit him on the arm. Not lightly either.

“Shut up both of you. Nothing like that happened last night. You idiots were taking up my couch, and that’s all. God, what are you three years old?” I asked.

“Five,” he replied before sipping on his tea.
I just gave him a look and got my breakfast.

==================

That night, something bad happened. I was brave enough to go backstage while the boys played their songs. I watched from the sidelines as my boys jumped around onstage. They went to take a quick break, and joined me backstage, because a local band wanted to do a song or two.

“You guys are doing great,” I encouraged, hugging Niall.

“Yeah, but I miss you out there, no offence Mike buddy,” Niall said.

“No problem,” Mike grinned, going to sit on a chair. There was a loud snap as the weak plastic broke under him. His hands went out to catch himself, as the chair caused him to fall to the side. He rolled onto the ground, clutching his hand and swearing loudly.

“Mike! What happened?” Zayn asked.

“THE FRIGGEN CHAIR BROKE AND I LANDED ON MY FRIGGEN HAND AND IT FRIGGEN HURTS!” Mike said, and then swore about how much his hand hurt.

“Someone get a nurse or something,” Harry said, and he and Louis went to find one. Liam went onstage and asked the local band to play another song to buy the nurse time to look at Mike’s hand.

“It’s broken. He will need a cast,” the nurse said, looking up at the boys.

“What are we goin’ to do?” Niall asked.

“The show must go on,” Mike said dramatically, throwing his good hand up. He’d calmed down a bit.

“You can’t your hand is broken,” Louis said.
Mike shot him a look that asked Really? with his eyes before saying, “Melody’s your real guitarist. Let her play!”

“Are you okay with that Mel,” Niall asked.

“Yes?” I said, turning the answer into a question.

“Right, let’s do it!” Zayn said.

“Will you be okay, Mike?” Liam asked.

“I suppose. Go on without me,” Mike sighed dramatically. I smiled, squeezed his good hand, picked up the guitar and followed the boys onstage.

When I first walked onstage, I was shocked. Instead of the silent glares I was expecting, I got cheers. Some chanted my name, and shouted ‘welcome back’. I smiled wide and waved.

Liam explained what happened to poor Mike, and then told everyone to welcome me back, and I got a large round of applause. Then we began playing some songs. It felt good to be playing guitar again, jumping around the stage and laughing with the boys. Mike stood on the side and waved his cast like he was waving hello. I smiled at Niall, who grinned back adorably. This is where I belonged.

============

That night the managers visited us at our hotel. Mike’s wrist was only sprained, but it would still keep him out for a few shows. It was decided that I was going to become the guitarist again, and if any problems came up, Mike would take over when his hand got better. Then on the way out the door, one of the managers paused.
Without turning to face us he said, “And once Mike is the guitarist again, I’m afraid we will not be able to fund Melody anymore. She will have to go, or find the money to keep up.” And with that, he closed the door behind him.

We all paused, frozen in shock. The words ‘She will have to go’, echoed in my mind.

“What? They can’t do that!” Harry practically shouted.

“Technically they can. They’re in charge,” Liam said sadly.

“But Melody doesn’t have the money to stay!” Louis protested. They all turned to me, but I was too shocked to speak.
Have to go.

I grabbed Niall’s hand and he wrapped his arms around me.

“Don’t worry,” he said quickly, “we’ll figure somethin’ out.”

​“Yeah, of course we will,” Zayn said, though it was obvious that none of them had any idea as to how we were going to do that.

I swallowed and forced myself to speak, “Yeah, of course.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I think there are only a few chapters left. Thank you for reading and sorry for the slow updates!