Sequel: Young Lovers' Rage
Status: still sobbing what else is new

Drop the Hammer

Moral Support

“Ben stop!” James giggled.

“What?” Ben laughed, giving James a slight shove. They were playing an intense game of NHL13 – Marlies v Leafs – and they were both themselves.

“Stop trying to fight me! You know you can't win!” James said, watching the little box in the top right corner appear, indicating the want for a fight. Game Ben was skating around centre ice trying to fight Game James, but Game James kept denying.

“Oh c'mon! You're no fun!” Ben said, mashing the Y button on his Xbox controller.

James gave a triumphant laugh as Game Phil Kessel stole the puck from Game Ryan Hamilton and shot it into the unguarded net. “See, this is what you get for being dumb!” James said, falling back, laughing.

Ben sighed and tossed his controller down beside him. He got up and turned the game off.

“Hey! You're such a poor sport!” James called out after Ben as he followed Ben into their bedroom.

“Nah, just got bored of it.” Ben said, pulling out a shirt from the dresser. “Get dressed, Jake is coming over to talk.”

James' heart sunk. He knew exactly why Jake was coming to talk for.

James quickly got dressed and freshened up in the bathroom. When he walked out he saw Ben nervously pacing around the bedroom. James walked over to Ben and pulled him into a hug. Ben hugged James back and they stood there for a few moments like this, embracing each other. James ran his hand up and down Ben's back – it was something James did to soothe Ben. Ben ran his fingers through James' hair, twirling the ends at the nape of James' neck in his fingers.

“It's gonna be ok, babe.” James whispered in Ben's ear, pulling out of the hug.

“I know, Jimmy,” Ben sighed. “But, I'm scared. Ha, would ya look at that. Now I'm the one who's scared, like you were after the game.” Ben chuckled to himself. James did not join in.

“Hey, it's all right to be scared. Everyone gets scared. Don't worry. Jake is a good guy, there's nothing that could go wrong.” James said to Ben, kissing him gently. Ben smiled sweetly at James.

“Thanks, man. I love you.” Ben said, kissing James.

“I love you, too.” James said, kissing Ben back. They started getting a little frisky with their little make-out session when they heard the door knock.

“Jake... Damn.” Ben said under his breath. James quickly put his shirt back on, which had been taken off in the process of them kissing, and combed his hair. Ben re-belted his belt, and re-buttoned his shirt. He hurried out to the door as he heard Jake knock again.

James sat on the couch as Ben opened the door.

“Hey man.” Ben greeted Jake. He stepped out of the way to let Jake into his and James' apartment.

“Hey pal.” Jake said, nodding his head as he walked past Ben into the living room. Jake walked over at sat in the chair adjacent to the couch. He looked at James, who was surfing through tv channels. “Hey James, how are you?” Jake asked James.

“I'm good, man. What about you?” James responded.

“I'm good. Look, we all know I'm not here for small talk.” Jake said, suddenly very serious. Ben joined James on the couch and looked at Jake.

Jake looked at Screims coolly. “Tell me everything.”

James took in a deep breathe, and exhaled slowly. Ben lifted his head that was in between his knees. They both looked at Jake. Jake nodded his head, urging them to speak.

“It all started 2010/11 when we were both in the Marlies together.” James said.

“The moment I laid eyes on James I knew we'd be best friends.” Ben smiled to himself, remembering the moment.

“We were going to practice, and we were both late, and it was Ben's first day with the Marlies, too. We were sitting alone in the dressing room together and I said, 'Hey, man, you're the new guy here, right?' Ben looked up at me from trying his skate, and smiled sheepishly at me and said, 'Yea, I am. I'm Ben.' 'Nervous?' I asked. Ben nodded his head and continued to tie his skate.” James said, smiling.

“Then I told him I was, and he got up and came and sat beside me. We started talking, getting to know each other.” Ben added.

“We almost missed all of practice.” James laughed. “Afterwards, I invited him out for dinner, my treat. We went to Applebee's. It was an amazing time. I really enjoyed it.” James said, putting a hand on Ben's thigh.

“So we hung out a bit more, and after a year or so, we became best friends. And then I started to fall in love with Jimmy...” Ben said.

“Jimmy?” Jake asked, questioning the peculiar name.

“Oh,” Ben laughed. “Jimmy is what I call James sometimes.” James smiled to himself.

“Uh.. why?” Jake asked, confused.

“Well, when James and I first admitted to our feelings for each other, I told him that whenever people brought up who they love, I'd say 'Yea, I love Jimmy.' and everyone would be like, 'Jimmy?' and I would quickly cover up and say, 'I said Jenny...' and they would be ok. I only said it because no one knew I was gay yet; Jenny was a cover.” Ben admitted to Jake.

“I totally understood him though, April was – is – a cover. Nobody but you know about Screims...” James said.

“Screims?” Jake asked, shocked.

“Yea,” Ben said, smiling. “Us.” Ben grabbed James' hand and held it in his.

“Screims is us. It's our ship name. Everyone on the internet calls us that, and we do, too.”

“Alright... we'll... Screims... What are you gonna do? You can't hide in the dark forever. And if the wrong person finds out, they might not be as understanding as me.” Jake said bluntly.

“I know, Jake. When the time comes, we'll come out.” James said. Ben nodded in agreement.

Jake stood up. “Alright guys, I'll see you guys later. I'll see you at practice tomorrow morning, Ben.” Jake said, heading to the door. Ben and James got up and followed Jake to the door.

“See ya,” James said, opening the door to let Jake out.

“Yea man, see ya tomorrow.” Ben said.

Jake stopped once he walked through the door. He turned around to face them. “Hey guys,” Jake started. “I want you two to know that I fully support you and I hope you both are happy together. I'll stand behind you both no matter what.” Jake smiled at them.

Ben and James both smiled together at Jake. “Thanks, Jake. We appreciate it a lot.” James said.

“See ya!” Jake waved as he walked down the hallway to the elevator. Ben closed the door and faced James.

“I'm so glad that's over with.” Ben said, wiping his forehead.

“Yea, me too. I'm glad he's good with it. It's nice to know we've got support.” James smiled at Ben. He snaked his arms around Ben's waist and pulled him in for a kiss. They kissed for a few minutes before pulling apart.

“I love you, Jimmy.” Ben said.

James kissed Ben. “I love you, too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
jake ships screims and so should you