Status: Hiatus

Breathing

;lend me your eyes i can change what you see, but your soul you must keep totally free

"Hey," Annabelle greeted her father as she walked into the kitchen, dropping her bag to the floor. "Did you eat dinner yet?" She leaned against the counter, looking at the papers on the table.

"Uh, no, I haven't." Charlie sighed heavily, shifting the 'MISSING PERSON' poster so it was vertical to Annabelle. "This kid, Riley Biers. Disappeared over a year ago. His poor parents have been papering Seattle with these things ever since."

Annabelle's voice was so quiet, she could barely hear herself, "You think they should just give up?" She asked.

Charlie looked up at her for a moment, thinking. "Well, I wouldn't - if it were you." He said, "Not ever."

-

"I have to figure out what to tell people. Why I wont be home for Christmases.. why I wont visit." Annabelle said quietly whilst she fiddled with the fabric on the cushion. "Why they'll never see them again."

"After a few decades, everyone you know will be dead. Problem solved." Edward mumbled down to her.

"Thanks. Helps a lot." She replied, still looking at the cushion. She looked up at him, "Why are you so against me becoming one of you?"

"I told you."

"There's more."

"I know the consequences of the choice you're making." Edward sighed, "I've lived through it, and to let you suffer that..." He trailed off. "You believe I have a soul, and I don't. But to risk yours, just for the sake of never having to lose you.. That's the most selfish thing I'll ever do."

"But this is what I want." Annabelle replied. "I know who you are, and I know that you have a soul. And I know that you're free." She spoke, "That's what I want. To feel free. Alive."

Edward frowned, "You are alive, Annabelle. I'm not."

"I don't feel it. And when I'm with you.. I don't know--it's different." She fumbled over her words. "Promise me something."

"Anything."

"Promise you won't think I'm too different."

Edward laughed lightly. "I promise."

She smiled at him and said, "I'll still be me.. just less fragile."