Sequel: Hold Tight
Status: complete

Closer

It's been a month.

It's been a month. Laurel's had finished her second period since the news. She wiped a tear from her cheek as she marked another day off her calendar. She was counting down the days until her next one. She knew she shouldn't, but she couldn't help it. It was important to her that she remembered how long it would be until the next uncomfortable reminder that she couldn't make a baby.

Louis watched Laurel for a month. She barely said a word to him the whole time. She never smiled at him, and she stiffened when he touched her. Louis tried to understand, but he could take her grief for much longer. He could feel it slowly eating away at their marriage. He didn't want to acknowledge it, but they were growing apart at a rapid speed and he didn't know how to stop it.

"Say something." He demanded over dinner. Laurel had graciously blessed him with her presence at the table tonight. But the whole time she just stared at her food and pushed it around with her fork.

She looked up at him with her glossy brown eyes. They were swimming unspoken questions that she couldn't bring herself to say out loud. "I always likes the name Eloise for a girl." She told him, stabbing a piece of broccoli with her fork a little harsher than necessary.

Louis dropped his fork at her comment. His fists clenched tightly and narrowed his eyes at her. "Really?" He said shortly.

"Yup." She said simply. Ignoring his obvious tension. She gave him a sarcastic smile and went back to eating.

Louis rested his elbows on the table and placed his face in his hands. He was exasperated. He didn't know what to do anymore. They could barely be in the same room with each other anymore. There was no conversation to be made, Laurel wouldn't allow it.

He lost his appetite at this point. Sitting here with her made him sick to his stomach. If he put anything else in he was sure he would throw it up.

"Why aren't you eating?" Laurel asked him, breaking the extended silence. "Family dinner was your idea wasn't it? Table for two. That's what we're always going to say, isn't it?" She mused dryly.

"God dammit, Laurel!" He yelled, pounding his fists in the table. Everything rattled because of the disruption. Laurel jumped at the sudden forcefulness. "Stop! Just stop! I can't take it anymore! You're hurt, I get it. We all get it! But you are being selfish right now and you know it! How dare you make those passive comments at me like that! As if I don't know it sucks!" He screamed.

Laurel frowned at his change in attitude but her face stayed stoic. "Yeah! It fucking sucks. And you haven't once asked me how I feel. This effects me too, and I can't stand you treating me like a stranger!" He slumped in his chair and his voice softened. " I love you, Laurel, and lately I feel like you don't feel the same. You're killing me, Laurel. It's killing me."

He looked up at her to find that her expression hasn't changed. She was just staring at him. It almost felt like she was looking right through him. He glared at her for a moment before pushing away from the table and storming up to the bedroom.

When Louis left the room Laurel started eating once more. She was upset that Louis was mad at her. It was yet another thing that she had done wrong. She couldn't make him happy anymore. Laurel knew she was being a bitch lately, but that was so much easier than moving on.

Laurel remained downstairs for the rest of the night. She walked every inch of the house, going over her thoughts in her head. She knew what she had to do, she just wises she didn't have to do it. She climbed the stairs bashfully, chewing on her lip nervously as she went.

The bedroom door was closed when she arrived and she stopped. Her right and touched the ring on her left and. She twisted it around a little to remind herself that it was real. She opened the door slowly and peeked inside.

Louis was sitting on the edge of the bed, flipping through a book. Laurel sighed. Louis read when he was mad, but he never really read. He just loomed over random pages, and let his mind wander.

"Lou." She said softly and took a step towards him. Louis looked up with a surprised expression on his face. She hasn't said his name in over a week. "Lou, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to upset you." She said lamely.

Louis studied her. She was shifting awkwardly from one foot to the other while she waited for a response. "I know you didn't mean to. I'm trying to be understanding, but I don't think I can do it for much longer."

Laurel sat down next to him, folding her arms into her lap. Their shoulders brushed lightly: Louis smiled at the simple contact; he liked feeling her body heat next to his.

"I love you. I do. I'm sorry I haven't told you lately. I love you. I love you. I love you." She said over and over again, a small blush flooding her cheeks. It felt so silly to be blushing about telling your husband you loved him, but something about his smile made her feel all giddy inside. "I love you." She said once more.

"I love you too." He said, putting an arm around her shoulder. He was relieved when she didn't tense up. "I miss you." He whispered lowly.

"I miss you too. I miss this." She told him, leaning into him side. "I miss kissing you." She told him.

Louis laughed and looked down at her. She was smiling at him and he cupped her cheek with his hand. His thumb ran over her lip, like he was making sure it was real. He leaned down slowly, very slowly, kissed her softly. Laurel readjusted herself to that she could get a better angle. Her hands grabbed onto his shirt and pulled them even closer together.

Laurel smiled softly into his kiss. The feeling of his lips made her dizzy, like they always did. Louis kissed her slowly and carefully, trying to control himself. But it had been weeks since they'd been together and he was frustrated. She smelled so good and she was so warm against him.

He picked her up slightly and lay her down on her back on the bed. Within seconds he was on top over her, kissing her again. It was getting more heated, more needy, and Louis didn't mind at all. Laurels hands dipped into his shirt and felt the muscles on his back. The feeling of her fingertips on his skin made him moan into her mouth.

She yanked at the fabric, trying to remove forcefully. Louis pulled away and removed the shirt quickly before leaning back over her. Their lips were moving against each other, relishing the much desired contact. They kissed while they stripped each other down. There was so much passion behind each movement, but none of it was rushed. They felt each other’s skin, trying to familiarize themselves with each other again.

Louis pulled away from her mouth and ghosted his lips along the shell of her ear, laurel shivered at the feeling of his hot breath. She closed her eyes and tipped her head back, allowing him more access. He hummed in appreciation, his lips never leaving her skin.

Laurel arched up and pulled the clasp of her bra off. Louis groaned loudly, helping her remove it. Once it was off he tossed it away, and started exploring the newly exposed skin. Now the only thing separating them was their knickers. Laurels breath hitched in her throat when she felt his hands brush along her hips. His fingers hooded onto the sides of her panties and started to pull them off. Laurel’s breathing sped up and she started to thrash around.

"Stop. Louis, please. Stop." She begged, clamping her thighs together to prevent him from undressing her father.

"What! What's wrong?" He asked urgently, removing his hands form her immediately.

"I don't know. I just, I just freaked out...." She threw an arm over her eyes and tried to relax.

"Oh. Well, okay. We don't have to tonight." He said awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I'm sorry. I want to, I really do. But something just feels different, you know. I wasn't ready for that." She said, sitting up and picking his shirt up from the floor. Louis tried not to feel disappointed as her body disappeared under the fabric.

"It's okay, Lo. We'll go your speed." He told her, running her back gently. Laurel lay down on her back and looked at Louis with a sad smile. He shrugged at her and lay down with her. His head rested on her chest and an arm was wrapped around her stomach. She ran her fingers through his hair and he closed his eyes. Just like normal. Louis couldn’t help but feel like they were a million miles apart.

***

Louis woke up with a pounding headache. It wasn’t unbearable though, he was used to it. He sat up in bed, trying to piece the fuzzy events of the day together. The sun was shining into the room, causing him to squint.

“LOUIS!” He heard someone yell from downstairs. The ringing in his ear made it difficult for him to decide who it was. He placed his palms over his sensitive ears and fell back into the pillows. “Lou, get up.” Harry said as he barged into the room.

“Jesus, Harry. You need to stop coming in here unannounced. And for the love of god, do not shout.” Louis groaned into his pillow.

“I wasn’t shouting. You’re just hangover, you fucking idiot.” Harry informed him, kicking the foot of the bed.

“I know I’m hung over, Harry, I don’t need you to remind me.” Louis scoffed, pulling the blankets over his head.

“Good. Now, up up up!” Harry said, clapping his hands loudly. He smirked when Louis groaned. “Seriously mate, you have to get up. We have publicity shit to accomplish today.”

“Do I have to come?” Louis asked, not fighting back when Harry started to pull on his leg.

“Yes, you twat. Up!” He said, enjoying messing with hangover Louis more than he should. “Shower and dressed in ten! Move!” He ordered, shoving him towards the bathroom. Louis grumbled as he was manhandled, but he obeys Harry’s orders.

He was showered and dressed within seven minutes, which was quite impressive, considering his state. “Ready?” He asked Harry, who was sprawled out on his bed. Harry nodded in approval of clean-shaven Louis.

“I’m sorry about the things I said. I didn’t mean it like that.” Harry said as they walked out of the house and to the car. Louis rolled his eyes and got in to passenger seat.

“Yeah. Me too. Don’t worry about it, Harry. We’re just doing what we can, right?” Louis said with a sad smile, and brushed his damp hair from his forehead. Harry agreed and they finished the drive in silence.

***

“So, Louis. I have to ask. Is there any truth to the divorce rumors?” The interviewer asked. Of course this came up. Louis had hoped it would stay professional, but gossip always took precedence. Louis bit the inside of his cheek, considering his answer.

“I love my wife very much.” He finally said. “And I hope we can stay together for a long time.” Niall coughed uncomfortably and Harry tried not to gasp out loud.

“So you aren’t divorcing?” She clarified.

“Not as of yet.” He said carefully. He wasn’t doing anything. It was all Laurel. So it technically wasn’t a lie.

“Shame. You had the fans worked up over nothing.” She said with a laugh, which Louis was forced to return. All the guys chuckled awkwardly, trying to play along. Louis had just lied on national television, and they all knew it would look bad when shit hit the fan.
♠ ♠ ♠
the flashbacks are becoming way more important than the current story..meheheh. oh well. im having fun with it!!

comments are appreciated:) thanks for reading! i love you guys