‹ Prequel: Secrets
Sequel: We Run This Town

The Motto

Kevin

Zack and Kevin enjoyed the first blunt of the weekend, looking out over the lake from their back porch. It was a beautiful night. The sun had already set and the moon was shining brightly in the sky, reflecting off the water.

“How’s school so far?” Zack asked. Kevin took a drag of his spliff and shrugged.

“It could be better” it’s only been a month.

“Finish high school” Zack told him. Since graduation he had gotten his GED and planned on applying to college for next fall. He’s currently working a job at the local pizza place. The same place Christian and Brendon work. “If anything I regret not trying hard enough”

“I’ll try” Kevin said. “It’s hard though…I’m unmotivated…I couldn’t imagine losing a class mate towards the end of the year” Zack didn’t like talking about Kaya, because that meant talking about Jill. Jill was getting ready for her adult sentence. Now that she was 18 she was being convicted with adult sentences. Most likely she’d be in prison for up to twenty years.

“Just find something to keep you motivated” Zack said. “Drama in high school really fucked our class up” he started. “I mean the main reason why I didn’t graduate was over some stupid girl. Kaya died because of lack of communication between each other and jealousy” he explained. “You shouldn’t have that in your life”

“Our class is so focused on popularity” Kevin said. “I’m sorry but we’re on a crash course to disaster. With jealousy, sex, drugs.” He said.

“Drugs is the reason why I lost two good friends” Zack said. He thought back to Kaci’s death during his junior year and then Kaya’s recent death. He still felt like it was yesterday. Her death would haunt him for the rest of her life.

“I miss Kaci” Kevin said. Zack tried to hold back the tears.

“I miss her too”



Kevin needed a break from thinking about his life so much. Everything was riding on his shoulders right now. His parents first born failed to graduate high school, he didn’t want to fail them, too.

He walked around the neighboring streets, smoking a joint, just clearing his mind. He couldn’t clear his mind. He couldn’t help but think about what their grade was up for. The junior class is more crazy then Zack’s grade was. IF anything they could out do anything the class of 2013 did. Which meant more deaths.

Kevin couldn’t think of anyone who was capable of killing another. He was pretty aggressive but he could never kill someone. He didn’t want to end up dead either.

He walked past a little blue house. Cass was sitting outside and by the looks of it she was knitting. He wanted to walk over and say high, but she was weird. Now if anyone could kill anyone it was her. She would kill herself. Kevin could tell. She’s very cute, though.

He pulled his hood up and kept walking. Thinking about his future made him nervous, but they all had to think about it eventually.