Sister, I'm Feeling Pretty Safe, Dead in a Home-Made Grave

Learn to Forgive but Never Forget

Today, I sat in the park alone. I didn't know why I was there alone or why Gerard wasn't there with me, I couldn't quite remember anything about it. It was still fairly early, and my mind wouldn't be functioning too well until I finished off the last of the coffee left in my hand. I stared blankly at the paved path in the ground. The sun beat down, giving the place a bit of warmth, though it wasn't quite hot or anything. It was inbetween, just how I liked it.

Then, it got colder.

I turned around with a smile. "Hey, Gee-babe--" I paused. My eyes were fixed and widened. "...You're... you're not Gerard..."

She smiled at me. She was beautiful... "No, I'm afraid not. I'm Elena... His grandmother," she said, beaming. She was so young... I couldn't believe it. Couldn't she see him?

"Why.. why are you here?" I asked. I was frightened. I thought I could only see Gerard. Why was this happening? "Do you need me to tell Gerard something?"

She just shook her head. "No, I've already seen him... I need you to tell Mikey..."

"OK," I said, a little frightened. "I'll make sure..."

"He always asks me a question when he visits my grave," she said. "Tell him that the answer is every day."

I nodded and turned to reach into my pocket and write it on my hand. "OK, got it," I said, and I turned around, only to find that she was gone. It was strange, because the cold still hadn't disappeared. I shrugged and turned back to the way I had been sitting the first time. I continued sipping my coffee, but then I felt a shiver down my spine. The clouds seemed to cover the sky... the park was empty.

"Shhhh..." a voice said. The voice was deep, and I didn't recognize it. "It's OK, my love, just relax... everything will be fine."

They were behind me, I could tell from the way that their hands ran down my spine, but I just couldn't bring myself to turn around and face them. It was a man, but it wasn't Gerard. Who was it?

"What do you want?"

All I could feel was their breathing down the back of my neck.

"What do you want?"

They kept breathing heavily. It was cold. It wasn't like Gerard's... This breath made me shiver.

"What do you want from me!?"

The breathing stopped. "Your blood," he said.

"...all over my body."

I screamed and thrashed around for a second until I felt the warmth return and a warm embrace take over my body.

"Faye," he said to me sweetly, whispering in my ear. "What happened?"

I couldn't even answer him, I just began to cry.

"Honey, please tell me. I can't help you if you can't tell me."

I just shook my head. "I don't... I don't even know what it was..."

He rubbed his hand over my arm. "It's OK, now, I promise," he said to me, gently rocking me. "I'll never let them hurt you."

I just nodded, and he helped me up from the bench and walked me back to the car, leaving the spilled cup of coffee on the ground by the bench.

I kept looking back. Who was it? I looked back one last time.

I could still feel his breath on the back of my neck.