Sister, I'm Feeling Pretty Safe, Dead in a Home-Made Grave

So You Need to Let Me Go

It didn't get colder, surprisingly, so I turned around slowly, ready to face whatever had trapped me in here.

"Hi Faye."

I looked confused. "Gunner?" I asked him, even though I knew it was him. "You weren't supposed to come home for another fer hours..."

"I know." Gunner looked at his feet for a moment, and then he looked back at me. "I just... I needed to tell you something. It's kind of important."

I raised an eyebrow. "Well, if it's that important, just tell me, OK?" I wondered what it could have been. "Did you find the person killing all those musicians?"

Gunner shook his head. "No..." He looked at the floor again. "You'll just think it's stupid and laugh at me."

I shook my head. "Gunner... I would never laugh at you. You're like... my best friend," I said, smiling sweetly, trying to cheer him up.

He looked like I had just stabbed him in the heart. Then, I kind of knew.

"Faye, I love you. I always did."

I stared at him. I wasn't going to laugh, only because... this really wasn't funny. To be honest, it was strange, and I felt awkward just being around Gunner now.

"Do you love me?" he asked, trying to take my hand.

I pulled my hands away, and I shook my head. "I'm sorry Gunner. I just... I can't... I love Gerard, not you..."

"Faye, you can't love him!" Gunner yelled angrily. "He's dead!"

"But I do, Gunner, you have to understand--"

"HE'S DEAD, FAYE! THERE'S NO FUTURE FOR YOU WITH HIM!" he said, completely enraged.

"Gunner, please," I said. "Please don't do this... this is ridiculous--"

"Oh, so my feelings are ridiculous now? Don't I matter to you? Or is Gerard all you care about?"

I sighed. "Gunner... That's not what I meant--"

"Yeah, well, I think it's pretty clear what you meant," he said.

With that, he turned around and left. I didn't know what else to do. I just stood there, speechless, and I wasn't sure what had just happened, or if Gunner would ever come back at all.