Cath Trilogy: Hey Jane

Male, 34

829 South New Hampshire Avenue:

"I didn't even know that you knew that the morning existed," Jane said when she tapped Rhys on the shoulder.

"What can I say, I'm full of surprises," Rhys her a smile that used to make her weak in the knees. Now, it just made her stomach flip. Hey, it's a bit of an improvement.

"You think I can't read you?" Jane gave him a raise of her eyebrow that twisted with his mind.

"Nobody can read me I'm so mysterious and inscrutable," Rhys pretended to have a beard which he stoked.

"Just there, you gave away so much about yourself," Jane pointed out.

"There is no possible way which you could have read me. Do you know how?" Rhys didn't let her answer, "I am unreadable!"

Jane smiled at him before he led her under the yellow tape which blocked off the door to an apartment. Inside, there were already people observing the crime scene and taking pictures. A new police officer named Gavroche Bacot was conversing with the coroner about a football game. When the pair walked into the room, Gavroche ran over to them and called out Jane's name, "Jane, Jane, Jane!"

"Oh boy," Rhys muttered under his breath and turned the other way.

"Hi," Gavroche was more perky than any officers Rhys had met in his 12 year career.

Jane didn't feel the amount of annoyance that Rhys did and said, "Hello Gavroche."

Gavroche smiled brightly at her kindness, "So, did you guys see the body?"

"No, not yet," Jane looked around to see the place where this man lived. It had been well worn with a couch that under the blood stains of where the man's throat had neatly been slit to leave only the smallest possible amount of splatter. There was one picture on the side of the couch framed with a picture of a child, but the picture was cut to show only the child with a man; Jane would assume the victim, wrapping his arm around the girl. The girl wore her light brown hair in uneven pigtails and a pink sundress. Jane couldn't help but notice how uncomfortable the little girl in the picture seemed with her father's arm around her. There is a saying, a picture can tell one thousand words. This one could make the saying a scientific law.

Gavroche noticed that he was standing in the way when Rhys gave him a tight smile and scampered off to the side of his companions. The goofy smile still plastered on his face. "You should stop being so mean to him," Jane muttered.

"You should stop provoking him," Rhys murmurer a level below a whisper.

"No, you want me to stop provoking him around you. If I didn't know better, I'd say that you were jealous," Jane laughed to herself at the thought. To Jane, anyone finding her attractive was just a silly prospect.

"We still have a body and a killer to deal with,"Rhys changed the subject.

"Fair enough," Jane motioned for him to go first.

"Detective Wilson, glad you could finally show up," a voice called for Jane's attention. The owner of this voice was a 40 year old woman named Aubrey Sasaki. She was of Japanese descent and had only one generation of American lineage from both parents. Her hair was tied into a tight bun without a trace of gray in it, but her skin was laced with wrinkles of which a few were deep while others only traced her skin.

"Sorry Aubrey," Jane smiled softly at Aubrey with a slight turn of her lips.

"Just try to be on time," Aubrey was the captain of the homicide sector of the LAPD and despite her age and lack of astounding height, nobody would dare go against her. Jane had once seen her bring down a criminal who was three times her size with the effort of swatting a fly. "We have bigger fish to deal with," Aubrey turned to the body. "This is the third body like this that we have found this week."

"Alright, so is this the case you were telling me you would give to us?" Rhys asked and Jane gave him a confused glance. Rhys turned to her and answered by saying, "While you were getting your beauty sleep, Aubrey told me that we have a new case that she is giving to us. She said it is going to be a challenge."

"This is a challenge?" Jane gave a short scoff, "It's just an assassin's work."

Aubrey nodded to show that she agreed with Jane, "That is why I'm giving this case to Cooper and O'Neill."

"Then why are we here?" Rhys asked impatiently.

"Patience is a virtue Detective Khan," Aubrey scolded him. "Anyway, I called you here 'cause I want a second opinion on whether or not this was an assassin."

"I'd say foreign, but as you said, bigger fish," Jane turned to Aubrey.

Aubrey nodded and said, "Once we get back to the station, I'll tell you all about it."
♠ ♠ ♠
If you can think of any ways that I could improve my writing about police work because the only two sources I have are my great uncle and preliminary cop shows.
Check out the characters page, I put a lot of work into that and be sure to subscribe and comment, new chapter every week from now on :)