Cath Trilogy: Hey Jane

Chill Pill

A coat of sweat clung to Jane as she awoke with a start and panted as though she had just been dragged from Hell. It wasn't her normal routine to be awoken by nightmares, and it had been years since her last dream which involved Dr. Wayne. That wasn't to say she hadn't had this type of dream before, oh no. There was a time when that was the only thing that the girl would be able to think about for days and wouldn't be able to leave the prison of her past.

To make sure that this fate didn't come upon her this day, Jane got out of bed to the cold shock that one receives on a winter morning, even in Los Angeles, and took a dose of Effexor. The antidepressant was something that Jane couldn't imagine her life without. Well, the reason that she needed it was because she lost something that she couldn't imagine her life without.

Buzz, buzz . Jane's phone went off with the vibration almost causing it to fall over the side of her bedside table. Jane ignored the sounds for her mind was elsewhere as she brushed her teeth which had a slight overbite to them which looked like a huge gap in the mirror.

Her dark brown hair was tangled and wavy, and Jane cursed at herself for letting herself sleep with her hair still wet. The brush didn't do any justice, so she just pulled it back into a bun to show off her high cheekbones and fair skin. Blank hazel eyes stared back at Jane with exhaustion showing inside of them.

The clothes she changed into consisted of a button-down shirt, black pants, and a light black suit from her night clothes which were just a tank top and underwear. Her holster was attached to the belt around her waist held the gun that she carried with her for her work. Her badge was also attached to her belt which announced the fact that she was a detective for the LAPD. The branch that she specialized in was homicide and it had taken her three years of working with the department to get to this position.

Her partner, Rhys Khan, reduced her quick climb up the ladder to just being pure luck and chance. Jane herself knew that there was more to it, but she wan't going to get into a fight with Rhys knowing he would never give into listening. The real question that she wanted to ask was how the two of them had been paired together, and who would have guessed that they would have any form of chemistry with each other? Together, over the last two years, they had solved and astonishing 57 cases together of which 12 were serial killings and 6 were presumably cold cases!

Now, there had been no cases in about a week, but hey, isn't that a good thing? Buzz Buzz Jane's phone went off again, and this time, she paid attention to it. With a sigh, Jane pressed the green answer button and said, "Hey, Rhys." Her voice permanently sounded like she had a sore throat but in a cute way. She was one of the many people who used their speech impediments to their own benefit. Still, the amount of times that she had been asked if something was the matter because she sounded like she had just spent a few hours crying was starting to get on her nerves.

Rhys' voice was low yet enthralling which should have been used for giving speeches, "Wake up, we've got a case."

"Don't you realize that the fact that I talked to you indicated the fact that I'm awake?" Jane felt the need to point this out to him.

"Whoa, take a chill pill," Rhys tried to sound like a victim.

Jane sighed, yet again, and waited for him to see the error he had made in bitter silence.

Eventually, Rhys realized the mistake and did his best to cover it up, "I mean no offence or anything... uh. You know... just, you know, trying to um... make sure you, uh, keep on top of the up drug stuff... yeah."

"Yeah, I know," Jane hung up and left to see where the new case was. Rhys had sent her a text that had the address written on it.

***

At the crime scene, Rhys took the phone and began to hit himself over the head with it. Flirting had always been second nature to him, but he never knew how to talk to Jane. He wanted to learn, and he wasn't going to let anything stop him from getting what he wanted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay, Jane and Rhys have now been introduced. Sorry for the delay in writing but I promise new chapter soon. Actually, if someone wants to write a comment about a schedule they would like to see I would be glad to follow it. One day of the week can be chosen, and the first person who writes the day, I will do that day. =]
COMMENT SUBSCRIBE, please!