It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

Becoming A Father










Kate’s POV
I caught a glimpse of him the moment I had gotten out of the car. Jack Winters, how that name made me shiver.

“It’s ok,” Evgeni said as he slipped his hand around my waist and into the pocket of my jacket.
“I hope so,” I couldn’t hide the worry from my features.

Jack didn’t care about Asher before so why would he care now? Sure he might want to meet his son but Asher doesn't understand the situation at the moment and it’s only bound to get more difficult.

I grabbed Asher’s hand as he walked next to me, confused and probably sensing my fear.
“Geno?” he stopped and put his arms out to be picked up.

Great, just the kind of action I needed for Jack to see and only get more possessive over my little boy.

“Jack,” I smiled weakly, clearly not over what he had done.
“Kate,” he pulled me into a tight hug, which confused me at first but realized it was his way of saying sorry. He was never one for talking about how he felt, rather show it. I guess leaving was his way of showing me how he really felt about me too.

I introduced Evgeni and then reluctantly introduced Asher who was attached to Evgeni’s hip and not making any attempt at being social towards Jack.

“Can we talk in private?” he looked nervously between Evgeni and myself.
“Yeah sure. Can you take Asher to the playground?” I looked at Evgeni who nodded understanding we needed the space.
“Sure,” he wrapped an arm around me and kissed me on the forehead before he chased after Asher towards the swings as my little boys laugh echoed back to us sitting at the picnic table.

“He seems like a good kid,” Jack said turning his attention back to me.
“He is,” I nodded thinking how lucky I was to have such a good kid like Asher.
“He got your looks,” he said again.
“I know, but Jack this isn’t why we are here. What are you doing in Pittsburgh?”
“I am here for a work convention this week.”
“and you what made you decide you want to see your son?”
“I have a daughter.”

I froze, anger wanted to overcome me. I wanted to leap across the table and strangle him. “You what?” I frowned.
“I have a daughter, she is a month old,” he pulled out his phone and showed me a picture that was set as he wallpaper. “She makes me so happy but I can’t help but feel guilty that I just left him.”
“You mean Asher,” I know he didn’t know him as Asher, but he was to me and that was all that mattered to me.
“Yes, Asher.”

“So you think after two years you can just say now that you want to be a part of his life while you ultimately could ruin everything.”
“I don’t want to ruin anything, I want him to be happy,” he defended.
“Well if you wanted him to be happy you wouldn't have come. We have everything we could ever want here.”
“Kate, please just, I am not asking to be his father he clearly already has that,” he pointed to Asher who was sitting in Evgeni’s lap going down the slide.
“Oh Evgeni’s not… yeah,” I didn’t know how to explain to him that they man who was ‘fathering’ his son was the guy I had been casually having a good time in bed with before he was even considered a father figure to Asher.

“I just want you two to be happy,” he got up, “ This was a mistake, I am sorry,” he began to walk away.
“Look, it’s Asher birthday party on Saturday you could come. I am sure he will be excited to have a new friend.”
“Ok I will,” he smiled, “thanks.”

“That was awkward,” I said as I approached Evgeni pushing Asher in the swing.
“Really?”
“Yeah, he seemed determined to be in his life in the letter but he just seemed to not care anymore. He says Asher already has a father.”
“Who?”
“You,” I smiled up at him.
“Me,” Evgeni scrunched his nose, “I guess I make good father. I make him laugh,” he stopped the swing and tickled Asher’s sides making him squeal.
“You are a great father,” I slipped my hand into his back pocket and lent up to steal a kiss from his big soft lips.
His wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into him, “you are great mother,” he smiled against my lips.