It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

Asher Is A Mini Malkin










Kate’s POV
“You busy tomorrow night?” Evgeni asked as he helped Asher with his pancakes at breakfast.
“Why?” I sorted through the mail.
“Can I take you for dinner?”
“And what am I going to do with him?” I pointed to my little boy shoving food in his mouth.
“Sid can babysit,” he shrugged.
“I can’t just push my kid onto someone else G,” one of the envelopes caught my attention.
“Sid love kids, he offer before,” I felt his strong arms wrap around me and then a set of soft lips on my neck.
“Evgeni not now,” I shrugged him off and headed back to the dining room table to open the envelope.

“What is it?” he asked sitting down next to me.
“A letter… from Jack.”
“What?” he shuffled closer.

My eyes scanned over the black ink, squinting at his messy hand writing, “he wants to see Asher,” I deadpanned looking up at my son who sat happily in his booster seat, toy car in one hand, pancake mashed in the other.

“He wants to see Asher,” I repeated as I began to panic thinking about how he left us in the first place.
“Kate it’s ok, he not have to see him.”
“He does; legally he has every right to see Asher and I can’t just stop Asher from seeing his father, it’s not fair on him,” I started pacing in the kitchen.
“It’s ok,” he grabbed my hands and pulled me into his chest, “we figure it out” he put his hands on either side of my face and made me look at him, “it’s ok,” he sealed it with a kiss.

Evgeni’s POV
This is exactly what I was worried about. I knew he would be back there was no doubt about it. He was bound to realize how dumb of a mistake it was leaving Kate, she is an amazing person, an amazing mother and I love her. He had his chance and he ruined it but he is the one who had a child with her. He will be forever tied with her somehow.

“Can I take you up on that offer of dinner tonight instead?” she said as she folded up the letter and put it away, “I think we need to talk.”

Great, we need to talk. Those four words have to be the worst possible words that any guy can hear and it usually spells for disaster.

“I don’t know what to do?” she took another drink of her beer.
“Jack has to see him,” I shrugged feeling like I should just give up now before I got any closer to them.
“Why?” she frowned.
“You said,” I began fiddling with the label on my beer.
“Evgeni,” she grabbed my hands, “this isn’t going to change the way I feel about you.”

She said that now but I couldn’t help but think as soon as Jack came back she would go running back into his arms and I would become no body to them.

“Asher adores you, he is always so excited to see you and if Jack comes back I don’t wish for him to be called his father, he lost that privilege when he left the first time,” her eyes begged me to believe her.
“I know that we only just started this relationship thing and I don’t know what the future is going to be like, but what I do know is that if you are in my life it doesn’t matter what happens because I will be happy.”

“You know, Asher say the other day, he tell me I love you Geno,” I took a sip of my beer.
“I know, he always tells me he loves you. You have no idea how much he looks up to you. I took him skating while you in hospital just so he could get out and be a kid for a little while, you know what he said?” I could see a smile creeping onto her face.
“What?”
“He said, I am just like Geno. He was dressed in all his gear and only wants to wear your number; he wants to be just like you. Your old hockey stick you cut down for him, he carries it everywhere when you’re not around, he even took it shopping the other week.”

I watched as the smile on her face grew wider and wider as she talked about all the little things Asher did.
I lent over the table, put my hand on the pack of her neck and captured her lips in desperate kiss, “I love you and Ash, Jack not matter, we together no matter what Jack says,” my eyes searched hers for the answer.
“Yes, no matter what. Asher and I will always be there if you are.”
“Always,” I kissed her again.