It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

Everything Will Be Perfect










Evgeni’s POV
“I think we better go and get that son of ours,” Kate climbed out of bed and headed into the bathroom.
“Ok,” I got up and followed before she could shut the door.

As much as she gave into me, it was just as hard for me to not give into her. She had that affect on me and sometimes I couldn’t help myself.

“Mummy,” Asher ran up to Kate and wrapped his arms around her legs.
“Hey little man, did you have fun with Sid?”
“Yeah,” he smiled up at her.
“That’s good,” she brushed her hand over his head before continuing to the couch next to Sid.

Asher stood in front of me, his head titled all the way back as he looked up at me with questioning eyes.
“Hey,” I spoke quietly just to him as I knelt down in front of him.
“I am sorry I break promise Ash, can you forgive me?”

He was silent for a few moments as I could see the thoughts process in his head before he slowly nodded and a little smiled covered his face.
“I not always there but I promise I try more, ok?” I put my arms out in hope that he would walk right into them.
“Ok,” and he did.

I wrapped my arms around his little body, holding him as tight as I could and never wanted to let go, “I love you daddy,” he whispered in my ear as he rested his head on my shoulder.
“I love you too buddy,” I kissed his forehead and held onto him for reassurance.

I think we needed to just get all of our frustration out and on the table. While it hurt to see Kate cry at times and deal with how much I hurt Asher it all seemed to be for the better. We realized how much we all needed each other. There was no way I could function without her. It felt dumb saying it, but my life depended on her.

**************************************

“Omg guess what?” Kate bundled me up at the door as I walked in.
“What?” I smiled at her enthusiasm.
“We have a healthy son!” she screamed.
“What?” I was confused.
“The cancer has cleared up,” she shook me, “he has 4 days of chemo next month and then he is in remission.”
“That’s great!” I picked her up and spun her around.
“I know,” she kissed me hard, “I mean of course he isn’t completely out of trouble it could come back but we are being positive right?”
“Right,” I smiled kissing her back.

“Daddy!” Asher ran down that stairs and jumped off the bottom step into my arms.
“Hey,” I caught him and throw him in the air before catching him and shuffling him to my hip as headed into the kitchen where Kate was.
“I am better,” he smiled.
“You get hair back,” I ran my hand over his bare head, “no more beanies.”
“Itchy,” he shook his head. I knew how much he hated wearing the beanie but he hated having his bare head showing just as much.

I put him down and he ran off into the lounge room.
“Hey what’s wrong?” I noticed Kate staring intensely at the vegetables she was cutting.
“Nothing,” she shook her head like she was rejecting something.
“We have everything back,” I stepped behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist.
“Does this mean I go back to work at the rink?” she questioned continuing to cut.
“Up to you,” I shrugged leaning my chin on her head.
“Do you want me to go back?”
“Would be nice, not share room with Brooksy anymore, he snores.”
“So do you.”
“But you love me, I not love Brooksy,” I shook my head.

Her silence was killing me so I turned her around, “you do what best for Ash,” I grabbed her chin.
“Being with both of us is what is best for him,” her eyes trailed away from me.
“Then you come back,” I put my hands on the bench behind her so she couldn’t get away.
“I don’t know,” she went to walk away but stopped when she found out I was already one step a head of her.
“Everything be perfect, trust me.”

Kate didn’t know what it felt like to live a perfect life, hers was broken but I was determined to fix it and show her that the world isn’t all cruel.

“and just in time for Christmas,” she smiled up at me.
She laughed when my eyes widened, “you forgot didn’t you?”
“Worry about other things,” I admitted. How could I forget Christmas?!

My eyes darted over to the calendar and I soon followed, counting back from the 25th. “What date today?” I turned around and looked at Kate who rolled her eyes.
“You've got 2 weeks babe, don’t worry,” she ran her hand over my back as she passed me into the lounge room.

“So you come back?” I asked as I sat on the couch next to her where she settled into my side.
“I don’t see what harm it could do,” she smiled up at me.
“Good,” I captured her lips.

Everything was finally starting to turn around. We could go back to way it used to be before Asher got sick. When we just got to enjoy being with each other and make the most of having each other.