It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

New Years Eve










Kate’s POV
“Hey guys we are so glad you could make it,” Vero smiled as she opened the door to let us in.

Everyone was excited to see us, they claimed I had just disappeared off the face of the earth. While that wasn’t completely true I had been so tired it was next to impossible to get out of bed each morning.

“Hey Asher,” Sid came up and stole our child from us, “how are you doing?”
“Good, we play?”
“Of course we can little man,” Sid hitched him up to his hip.

“You wouldn’t happen to have his skates in the car would you?” Sid whispered in my ear.
“We always have skates at hand.”
“Good, you want to go outside and skate?” Sid smiled.
“Yeah!” Asher cheered with his hands in the air, “Daddy you come?” his little eyes were too much that Evgeni couldn’t resist.
“Mummy and I come watch for bit ok?”
“Ok.”

“You know it’s freezing out here,” I wrapped my jacket around me tighter trying to keep warm.
“Come here,” Evgeni put his arms out for me to walk into.
“Better?” he ran his hand up and down my back.
“Mmm warm,” I snuck my arms under his jacket and around his waist.

“They cold?” he looked down the slight gap between us to my slightly protruding stomach.
“Freezing,” he pulled me closer eliminating all space between us without crushing them.

“Still can’t believe we have twins,” he kissed my lips sweetly.
“I know,” I smiled up at him.
“You what?” Sid curled an eyebrow at us as he helped Asher take off his ice skates.
“Nothing Sid.”

“Hey you guys coming in for dinner?” Vero poked her head out the back door.
“Be there in a minute V,” I pulled away from Evgeni and helped Sid by putting Asher’s skates back in their bag.

“You need to stop disappearing on us…” Pascal wrapped his arms around me as we walked back inside, “woah, is that a baby belly,” he whispered wrapping an arm around my shoulder.
“How can you tell?” I looked down flattening out my jumper.
“I have 4 kids, believe me I know,” he smiled, “but it’s ok your secret is safe with me.”

What a surprise this was turning out to be. At this rate everyone else was going to know before we would get a chance to tell them.

“Oh Evgeni can you remind me to ring my brother tomorrow morning?” I asked as I set Asher up at the kids table.
“Yeah sure,” he smiled, “hey you never talked about parents, you tell them?” he frowned.
“I haven’t really talked to them since they got divorced just before Asher was born,” I sat back down next to him at the table.
“Sorry,” he put his head down.
“It’s ok, I am ok without them,” I grabbed his hand and gave it a convincing squeeze.

Dinner went off without a hitch and I was dying to just tell everyone so we could be as open about the news.
“Hey guys!” I yelled amongst all the commotion, “Hello, I have some…”
“Shhhh!” Evgeni’s deep voice got all their attention.
“Thanks,” I pecked his cheek.
“Is ok,” he smiled putting his arm around my chair.
“Evgeni and I have some news…”
“You’re getting married?” Cookie pipes up.
“No,” I frown.
“You’re moving to China?” someone else yells.
“No… what? Why would we move to china?” I shake my head but can’t help but hide the smile on my face. God did I miss the guys.

“I am pregnant…”
Silence fills the room before they all start congratulating us with hugs and well wishes.
“But even better,” Geno smiles, “we have twins,” he put his hand on my stomach.
“Twins!”
“Geno you stud,” Vero beams.

Eventually everyone calms down and we are left enjoying the new found conversation we can have with some of the older guys with families.

“So do you know the sex?” Pascal asks as a few of us are seated in the lounge room talking.
“Not yet, 5 weeks and we can,” I reply simply.
“So you are going to then?” he continues.
“Oh yeah, definitely not patient enough to wait.”

“What are you hoping for?” Craig’s wife speaks up.
“Well I would really like a little girl and Evgeni wants another boy.”
“One of each then,” she smiles.
“Exactly.”

“What about names?” Vero asks cuddling up to Marc.
“Luka,” Evgeni says straight of the bat.
“Well we have exactly discussed it yet,” I jab my finger into Evgeni’s side, “but I don’t mind Luka.”

“I like being dad,” Geno says as we pull into the driveway.
“Really?”
“Yeah Pascal nice to me now,” he smiles like a little kid coming home from their first day at school.

“Daddy?” Asher wraps his arms around Evgeni’s neck as he grabs his from his car seat.
“Yeah buddy?” I watch with a loving smile as Evgeni carries him inside and up to his bed.
“You still love me when baby come?”
“Of course I will,” Evgeni puts him into bed and pulls off his shoes.

“You always number 1,” Evgeni leans down and kisses Asher’s forehead.
“Always?” Asher’s eyes are too much.
“Always.”

“You know we really are pathetic now,” I point to the clock on my bedside draw.
“Why?” he frowns.
“It’s only 11 o’clock.”
“We have own new years party,” he smiles pinning me into the mattress.