‹ Prequel: Unexpected
Sequel: Just Hold On.

No Excuses

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I woke splayed across the couch Raven’s head was on my chest her chestnut waves splayed out. I moved my arm to get the blood supply back and she moved over me.
“Good morning.”
“Oh God I cannot believe that I just fucking slept over here.”
“Why not you are my girlfriend, it is acceptable.”
“I know but I have only been your girlfriend for a day and I just shouldn't have.”
“If you say so. Want some breakfast?”
“I would love to but I am sure Sam is up and my roommate is going to kill me.”
“Can I take you both out for breakfast then?”
“Max, You will meet him eventually, but not today. I need to figure all this out. My son is number one in my life and that is just how it has to be for now.”
“ OK, may I see you again tonight or tomorrow?”
“Let me check and see if I can work it out. Pete gets Sam for a few days. Maybe we can get together then.”
“That asshole gets to see your son?”
“He is his father.”
“ But after what he did to you?.”
“Max, look. My life is complicated and well it is just complicated.”
“I get that, I just want to see you again soon.”
“You will.”
She left closing the door behind her.

I got dressed made a protein shake and headed to the gym. G was there lifting.
“What’s up my man?” he called from around the bar.
“Just coming to work off some steam.”
“You got that stupid, I just fucked a new chick smile on your face.”
“Don't talk about Raven like that.”
“Oh YES, you finally fucked her. Geez took long enough. We were starting to wonder if you were ever actually gonna sleep with that chick. Damn she is HOT. I hate I missed my chance.”
I walked away from him. If I started, I wouldn't stop. It was because of him that my friendship with Raven had started in the first place but it didn't mean I had to like him.
I listened to my iPod as I ran.

Raven’s
point of view

“Hey, buddy. How was your morning?”
“ Fine mommy where are you?”
“I am on my way, I will be there in about ten minutes. You want to go to IHOP and get breakfast?”
“YAY, pan-a-cakes.” he shouted through the phone.
When I got to my place I opened the door handing Shannon the venti Starbucks drink I had bought her as peace offering.
“You don't have to feel bad, I am OK with you being a little irresponsible everyone in a while.”
“I am afraid Maxime Talbot is going to make me the most irresponsible person I have ever been.”
“Wait, Max Talbot Like Flyers Max Talbot?”
“The one and only.”
“Oh God Raven, have you lost your mind? That man is a womanizing whore.”
“I think he will be different. I mean he has not tried to sleep with me in a year.
“Yeah that's cause he was sleeping with everybody else.”
“Well, so was I.”
“Who have you slept with? huh?”
“Well there was...”
“Exactly no one since you met Max. I just wish I had known who exactly Max was, then i would have said something sooner.”
“Honestly Shannon it really isn't your business.”
“Really who the hell is going to pick you up when that bastard leaves you hanging. He is a fucking professional hockey player that can have any girl he wants at any time whether he is dating someone or not. You know that right?”
“Yes, but he promised to be with me.”
“You can not be that fucking naive. You can’t”
“I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He has been nothing but good to me over the last year.”
“OK, but I don't promise to not say I told you so.”

I arrived at IHOP with Sam and hour later and we were sat at a booth near the back of the restaurant. the waitress came by and took our order and we talked for a minute.
“Daddy is going to pick you up today.”
“I don't want to go to Daddy’s I want to stay with you.”
“I know baby boy, but you need to go see your daddy.”
“He leaves me with Mimi, and doesn't come back.”
That really wasn't a bad thing and I was glad at least I knew he was safe with her.
“Well then enjoy your time with Mimi.”
.
“Raven?”
I turned around and Danny Briere was there with his three teenage boys.
“Hi Danny. This is Sam.”
“These are my boys Caelan, Carson and Cameron.” the three boys waved as he said each of their names.
“Why don't you join us?”
“OK.”
The boys found their seats and Danny sat beside me. I watched as Sam talked to the much older children.
“They are beautiful Danny. How do you juggle all of them and your career?”
“It is a work in progress everyday.”
“How are things with Talbo?”
“We shall see.”
“Be patient with him. He really likes you. He was a mess after he saw you with another guy.”
“Why now, Danny? He has been courting me for a year. Yet he decides to make this a relationship when he sees me with another guy.”
“He has no clue what he is doing. He hasn't ever had to make the decisions he is having to make now.”
“We shall see. It is all I can promise Danny.”
“Why don't you bring Sam over sometime and we can take him skating?”
“That would be fun.”
“Sam would you like to go and skate with these boys?”
“Yes Mommy can we go now?”
“Not today honey. You have to go see your dad.”
“What time does he have to go?”
“Around 4.”
“Well its ten so we have plenty of time. You boys want to go skate?”
“There were three simultaneous yeses from around the table.”
“We go skate” Sam shouted

We paid for our meals and left. I followed him to the practice rink.
Sam was so excited and wanted to go.
“Sam wait just a minute, We have to find you some skates.
“Got them” Danny spoke from behind her.
“How did you know what size?”
He waved at his three sons.
“Oh yeah.”
I put my skates on and got Sam’s on.
Danny was waiting on us as I stepped out onto the ice. Sam was skating well but I had one hand and Danny grabbed the other. His boys were gone. They were slamming each other into the glass and hooting and hollering.
“That’s my boys.”
I laughed at his face. He had contorted into a small frown.
“Sometimes I miss them being this young.” he smiled down at Sam.
“Yeah I like this age. He is so easy at least now. I thought I was never going to get him potty trained.”
“Yeah Cameron was ours. That boy was terrible.”
We chuckled understanding exactly what each other had endured.
We skated for a bit then Cameron and Carson came over collecting Sam and taking him across the ice. I leaned against the wall watching them pulling him around and the complete joy in his face.
“He is enjoying himself.”
“Let’s you and I enjoy ourselves.”
He took off across the ice. I hadn't told him that I have been skating since I was four.”
I didn't have the skills to match Danny on the ice but I could keep up.
A couple of the players were coming out onto the ice and I had a sudden worry that Max would be one of them. Sure enough, Giroux, Simmonds, and Max stepped out onto the ice.
Max’s eyes caught me immediately and saw that Danny was holding onto me.
“Hey, What are you doing here?”
“Danny was at IHOP with his boys and asked us to come skate with him.”
“Oh” he stated and I saw his face fall a little.
“Max, whats doing?”
“Well i am wondering, why you are on the ice with my girl?”
“Oh we were just here letting the kids skate. Look at Sam, he is a good skater already.”
Max turned and watched as Sam slid across the ice. He looked like he had been skating for years.
“No fear.”
“He isn't scared of anything.”
When he turned around the corner he saw me standing with Danny and Max. he waved and then started towards us.
“GIROUX” He shouted.
“All eyes went to Claude who just stood there for a minute.
I skated over to Giroux and tried to collect Sam from under his feet.
“Sorry, he is a big fan.”
“No it is not a problem.”
“Hey do I know you?” G asked me.
“Yeah you do. You tried to fuck me in a bar.” It came out a little harsher than I had intended.
“Oh yeah Stephanie’s friend.”
“Yeah that’s me.”
“I am really sorry about that. I was worked up from the win and then the alcohol.”
“It is OK it was over a year ago.”
Max skated up at that point and wrapped his hands around my waist.
“Are you giving my girl shit G?”
“No, I was actually apologizing for being a douche the last time I saw her.”
I felt safe around all of these men. The had encircled Sam and I as we skated off of the ice and I saw the reason why. The reporters were trying to get a picture of Sam and I.
Max reached down and lifted Sam into his arms. “Hi petit pote.”
“What does that mean?” Sam asked him
“Little buddy.”
“I am your buddy?”
“Yes, is that OK?”
“Yes, I get to be buddies with the Flyers.”
He was grinning from ear to ear as we walked through the guts of the building.
We were out of lens shout at this point so Max put Sam down and he ran grabbing hands with Cameron who humored him.
“Max, you weren't supposed to be here. I wasn't ready for you to meet him.”
“He doesn't know we are sleeping together.” he smirked at me.
“I know that, I just don't want him to get attached.”
“All he knows is he is friends with the Flyers, let him just think that.”
I couldn't process what was going on just that Max was here with Sam and I had had breakfast with Briere. I was falling deep into the web of danger and I didn't know how to get out.
“Max.”
“Yes”
“Please be careful with Sam, He can't handle losing another man in his life.”
“Well I wouldn't say that I am a man in his life yet, but he is a awesome kid. I would love nothing better than to be a part of his life.”
“That is what I am worried about.”
Max gave me a soft smile then looked for Sam found him occupied and leaned in a kissed me softly.
“It will all be OK.”
I smiled up at him but my voice had left me. The burning in my stomach was immediate as Max had placed his lips over mine.
“Je promets d'être gentil avec votre cœur et son.” (I promise to be gentle with your heart and his.)
To say I swooned would be an understatement. In that moment Max had me forever. He cared about both of us.
♠ ♠ ♠
hmmm. maybe a triangle between Briere and Max? The possibilities are endless...