Sequel: Flare
Status: Edited version of Human After All for NaNoWriMo.

Human After All (II)

X

“The Magnet Game?” Joshua said while his master lifted Joshua's hands up in front of him. Then he just barely pulled his hands away from Joshua's.

“Yeah. Y'know how a magnet has two sides to it, and when you try to push the negative sides together, they repel?” Beau whispered slightly as his fingers just barely trailed over his soft skin. “Well, that's what this game is. We try to get as close as possible without -hic- touching.” Joshua nodded gently, while Beau's hands made the gesture as though to cup his chin. “Wanna play?” He said against Joshua's skin.

“I-if you want to, master.” Joshua stuttered. Beau smiled.

“Good.”

Beau's hands were already “traveling” down Joshua's sides, a ghosting feeling dragging across Joshua's shirt. Joshua, unsure of how to play at first, hovered his fingers over Beau's cheeks. Joshua longed for his master's touching, even just an embrace. It was like Beau wasn't even there in front of him, Joshua thought, and he didn't like that feeling.

Beau leaned close, and his lips were just barely grazing over Joshua's cheeks. His hot breaths lingered upon Joshua's skin, while his master's breath hitched in his throat. Whatever hiccups he had had suddenly disappeared. It was only him and Joshua sitting together. He didn't know if Dahlia, Leslie, and Kiyah were watching. He really didn't care either.

Beau let out an impatient breath before he placed his hands on Joshua's waist. Joshua squeaked and giggled.

“You lost, master.” Joshua laughed. Beau's lips were near Joshua's.

“I don't care.”

Joshua's hands locked together behind his master's neck, and Beau pulled Joshua onto his waist. Joshua squeaked again, his breathing becoming faster, more erratic as Beau leaned closer. He had never kissed his master on the lips as he had seen Drew do. What would it be like?

Beau was ready to lock his lips together with Joshua's, to make them fit each other like two puzzle pieces. His bottom lip grazed Joshua's, and Joshua gasped quietly. Beau took it as a sign to slow down, so instead, he trailed soft kisses along Joshua's cheek. Joshua didn't gasp when Beau kissed the corner of his lips. Beau's hands rubbed circles around Joshua's sides to coax him into the kiss.

Just as Beau's lips leaned closer to touch Joshua's, their hot breaths the only thing between them, there was a loud din from the computer. Joshua jumped at the sound, and Beau sighed heavily, almost in anger, but not before he kissed Joshua's cheek ever-so gently. Joshua felt something in his core tangle when they were close, almost like there was something fluttering in his stomach, as ridiculous as it seemed.

“Really?” Beau said, pushing himself off of the floor to walk to his computer. Whatever alcohol that was in his bloodstream had been washed away easily, either by lust or by sudden disappointment. Whatever the reason, Beau was sober, and had a slight back ache from when he rolled off the couch. Being drunk had its repercussions, he guessed. That was just what he got for being stupid.

When Beau sat down, he was greeted by another red screen. He was getting so sick of Ethylon's little chatting sessions. How could a criminal be so calm about speaking with someone?

“Hello again, stranger.” Ethylon said first.

Beau responded with a loud huff. He had no right to hack into his computer, especially when Beau's system was idle. Just because Ethylon could hack with his bot, didn't mean he should.

“You're ruining my life.” The sentence seemed a bit overdramatic, but Beau didn't care. It's what he was feeling at the time.

“Oh, quit your whining. I haven't done anything but say hello.”

“At the worst times ever. Shouldn't you be on the run or something?”

“Or something. I found a good hiding spot. They'll never find me, unless you choose to out me. But you wouldn't do that, would you? You wouldn't risk your bots, would you?”

“I'm thinking about outing you! But... I wouldn't do that to my bots.”

“Are you done throwing a fit?”

Beau shoved his keyboard away, almost ending the conversation right then and there. But he couldn't do that. Ethylon could wreck his computer for leaving.

“I am not five.” Beau's response said.

“Then stop acting like it.
Are you ready to do a favor for me? If you're worried about the government finding out,
they won't.
They won't know you're the one who sent it.
I really need this, Beau. They may have you convinced
that I'm the bad guy here, but I'm
not.”

Again, Beau pushed the keyboard away. Does Ethylon assume that Beau can't think for himself? Does he think that Beau believes everything the government says? Of course he doesn't! But Squadron ST was destroyed because of Ethylon, and that much was true. Beau tried to crack his neck, but failed, and a pain shot through his neck halfway down his spine. Joshua heard his master groan, and he pulled up a chair, sitting behind Beau at the computer screen. He placed his hands on the back of his master's neck.

“May I, master?” asked Joshua. Beau nodded, although he told him he didn't have to do it either. Then Joshua pressed his thumbs into Beau's tense muscles, rolling the tender flesh under his fingers. Beau sighed softly before he continued to speak to Ethylon.

“So what are you, Ethylon? Are you this
bloodthirsty
murderer that the government says you are,
or is the government just
playing you?”

“I knew you would be hard
to convince.
Listen up. I'll tell you my story after you send these codes.
Please just do it.
For me.”

“I hardly know you! All I know
is that you're some
lethal, armed, and extremely dangerous criminal,
who is the only one that
believes he is innocent.”

Beau paused, letting out a breath of relief as Joshua continued to push his fingers in between pressure points on his neck. Sweet relief rushed through his muscles like adrenaline.

“I could go to bion just for speaking to you, Ethylon.”

“That hasn't stopped you before. You're still talking to me right now,
and you'll keep talking to me until you get
tired of me.”

“..Give me the stupid codes. I'll email them.
Don't tell me your sob story.
Just give me the addresses and the codes. I'll get it done.
But you can't threaten my bots anymore. Joshua almost lost
everything because of your stupid robot.”

“Joshua.... Is that your bot's name?
Sounds...
innocent.”

“I swear, if you do anything so much as utter his name
to your bot, I will
hunt you down, and kill you
myself.”

“I'm sure you would.
I don't doubt the love you have for your bot.
I respect that.
The codes are coming your way.
The addresses are encrypted in the message. Just
hit the enter key and it'll be sent automatically.
No trace to you, or your precious bot.

Thank you, Beau.”

“Don't thank me.”

“You don't realize it, but you're saving my life.”

“Really, it's okay.”

“Perhaps we'll meet in the future. Until then, Beau Homem-Christo.
Oh, and I'll erase our conversations now. Adieu.”

The red screen disappeared for one last time, and Beau heaved a heavy breath of relief. Did he really chat with a criminal everybody thought was dangerous? Apparently. But why was he claiming to be innocent? He was so obviously guilty of the demise of a town that hardly knew his name. Ethylon would be so lucky to be shot on sight when the empyreals find him, instead of tortured slowly, or sent back to bion.

Although the idea was puzzling, Beau realized he was almost falling asleep in the chair while Joshua massaged his shoulders. Beau was like putty in his bot's hands.

“Oh, Joshua. I apologize. It's so late.” He murmured. “I didn't even think about the time.”

“It's okay, master.” Joshua whispered and nodded. “Would you like me to go to bed?”

“If it's fine with you.” Beau said. Joshua nodded again, and Beau cupped his chin, kissing Joshua's cheek softly. His lips that were as soft as feathers soothed Joshua. “You too, girls.” Beau said past Joshua to Dahlia and Leslie who were sitting on the counter, and Kiyah who was babbling away to the teddy bear in her arms. It seemed that now she could talk, she couldn't stop.

The girls groaned, but walked to Beau's bedroom, instead of Joshua's. Beau embraced Joshua while it still rained outside. It was a bit louder than the other night, and the drops were bigger. Beau pecked another kiss on Joshua's nose before sending him off in the direction of his own room.

***

Joshua couldn't sleep. The window near his bed would flash as lightning did in the background of the city. Thunder crashed like glass shattering on the ground, and the rain smacked against the roof of the apartment. Joshua wasn't used to this kind of weather. He had grown accustomed to the frosty days, windy afternoons, and slightly chilly nights. There hadn't been rain, and Joshua usually fell asleep to the sound of music, but tonight, the rain was louder than the music.

Joshua crept out of his bed, carefully tip-toeing over the wood floor. He was careful to miss the spots on the floor that creaked loudly before he reached his master's door. His hand stretched for the doorknob, but then he remembered what happened the night with Drew and Beau, and he hesitated, pulling his hand away. Should he knock first? That would wake his master up. Then again, Joshua was just going to wake him anyways. So Joshua brought his knuckles down on the hard door. Not even a second later, he heard a reply from Beau.

“Come in.”

The door opened swiftly, and Joshua peeked his head into the room. Beau laid on his bed, arms behind his head, though he wasn't sleeping in the slightest. He had been awake for the past few hours, picking his brain for something, a hint perhaps, that Ethylon could have given him as to where he was, or what he wanted. What were the codes for? But Beau was gladly interrupted by Joshua.

With the blanket only pulled over his stomach, Beau loved the low temperatures outside. He always had a feverish body temperature, which was why all the blankets Beau owned were silk, and why he hated the summer season. The coolness of the air soothed his warm body.

“Master, I apologize.” Joshua whispered. Beau motioned for him to walk in more, and there was another flash of lightning that illuminated Beau's face perfectly. Joshua gulped quietly. “I couldn't sleep. The rain, it bothers me. I'm so sorry, but—“

“C'mon.” Beau moved his body to the other side of the bed, and patted the soft mattress. Joshua's stomach went aflutter again, and when Beau moved the blanket away, he was eager to shut the door behind him and slip into the bed with ease. Joshua leaned his head against Beau's warm chest, staring at a few ink marking that he had never had the chance to see. Joshua's fingers traced the outline of one ink mark.

“What's this, master?” Joshua whispered. Beau only glanced at what Joshua was pointing to.

“It's a tattoo.”

“Tattoo....” Joshua repeated quietly. He thought about how warm his master was. “Are you always sick, master? You are always warm....”

“No.” Beau whispered. “I've always been like this. Does it scare you?” Joshua shook his head quickly. In fact, he was a bit jealous. He could never be that warm. While he wasn't freezing, his body would never be as warm as Beau's. Robots never had the privilege of a changing body temperature.

“Go to sleep, Joshua.” Beau mumbled, running his hands through Joshua's feathery hair. “It's just a bit of rain. I'll always be here when you wake up.”

“Okay.” Joshua said, struck by a sudden wave of sleep. “Are you going to sleep as well, master? You seem very tired....”

“I'm just thinking of other things. I will definitely sleep soon.”

“Promise?” Joshua looked at Beau who was already staring at his bot.

“I promise.”

Then Joshua fell into a deep sleep with his master's arms caressing his frail body. Never could the night have been more perfect.

***

After a rather pleasant morning, Joshua asked his master if he could see Troia. It had been a few days since they had spoken. She was probably worried about him, and he just as worried for her. He wanted her to be okay, although he wishes she could be out of that man's hold, rather than just okay.

“What are you gonna say when you see her?” Beau asked. His fingers were locked together with Joshua's as they walked down the sidewalk. Many people cooed loudly while they walked together, while others simple gave a smile. That was how Beau preferred it. He was never one to make a big scene about relationships. He was either in one, or he wasn't, and that was that.

Was it really a relationship though? The idea was nerve-wracking. Did Joshua love Beau enough to be in a relationship with him? Was Beau ready to admit that he loved a bot? Even he, himself, could not answer that. He guessed it would become clearer as time went on.

Joshua shrugged in response to Beau's question. “I don't—“

“Don't touch me!” There came a loud squeal of a woman's voice that Joshua immediately recognized. He jerked his hand away from Beau's, searching desperately for the source of the voice. There was a deafening shatter of glass.

“Joshua.” Beau said cautiously. There was a dark vehicle sitting in front of the coffee shop where they could find Troia. Beau pulled Joshua away a bit. “Please, stay away from there. The empyreal's—“

“Stop touching me!” There was another shout, and then Beau recognized the voice as well; it was Troia's. She was shouting, and there was a loud thrashing before the door to the coffee shop opened. A few empyreals walked out empty handed.

“What's going on, master?” Joshua shook Beau's arm.

“I- I don't know.”

“Joshua!” Troia screamed from the arms of an empyreal sailor. Her voice was ragged from yelling, and her body thrashed in the tall officer's hold. Joshua gasped, and without thinking, ran to Troia's side.

“No, where are you going?”

“Make them stop, Joshua.” Her voice was nothing greater than a pleading squeak. She squirmed in the officer's firm hold, though it didn't loosen his grip any. Troia used her heel to kick an officer in the leg, who in turn, slapped her hard across the face. She gasped audibly, letting her gaze fall to the ground. They threw her into the car, and then slammed the door shut behind them, as though she were nothing more but a piece of trash.

“Hey.” Joshua grabbed one of the officers. “Where are you taking her?” His voice was a bit firmer than it usually was. “Where are you taking her?!”

One of them turned and pulled of his glasses. His eyes were a deep gray color, menacing in color.

“Said robot is suspect of harboring fugitives Ethylon Wright and Lejend. She will be held until fugitives are captured.”

“What are you going to do to her?” Joshua asked quickly, brushing off Beau's pleading to leave.

“Possible deactivation.”

Joshua squeaked, and Beau jerked him away from the scene. He had to get out of there while he still had his bot. Asking too many questions caused the government to get suspicious.

“Master.” Joshua said, burying his face in Beau's chest. Beau stroked his hair softly, rubbing small circles on his hips to coax him. “Th- they're going to deactivate her!”

Beau shook his head slowly, kissing the top of his bot's head. “She'll come back, Joshua.” He whispered. Joshua doubted it, and Beau could sense that. He could feel the doubt, the disappointment. “I'm sure of it.” Joshua whimpered, leaning his head closer to his master's chest. He didn't mind staying like that.

While Beau never liked the empyreals, he knew they had to pay. They slapped his bot's companion, and nearly threatened his own. They would pay their dues.

And he would do that with a bit of Ethylon's help.