Say You'll Always Keep Me

I Know You're Still The One

This had to be the one and only time that the boys of One Direction were utterly speechless. Simon Cowell’s lavish Modest! Management office was consumed by an eerie silence as everyone allowed the outrageous information to sink in. Liam’s strong calloused hands held his Blackberry in a white knuckled grip, warm cappuccino irises cautiously gauging Katherine’s reaction to Simon’s proposition. Frankly, all of the One Direction men were. None of the musician’s knew what to make of the situation; the girl was an average university student being thrust into the limelight by a drunken mistake. One thing was absolutely certain, nothing in the young woman’s life would be the same and for that Liam was truly sorry. He really had ruined everything for her. Louis Tomlinson coughed awkwardly, trying desperately to control the unimaginable curiosity behind the teenagers’ romantic past.

“So.” Simon stated, strong hands shuffling a disarray of paperwork littered across his desk. “Is that a maybe?”

“What exactly would this mean, Simon?” Liam inquired, shifting in the mahogany leather armchair.

“An annulment or a termination of the marriage so soon could reflect badly on the band as a whole, with you boys in the studio working on your next album, this could destroy your image.” Simon released a strained sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose in disbelief of the situation. “The fans invested so much emotion in Payzer.” Liam cringed internally, cautiously glancing in Katherine’s direction, receiving an emotionless stare in return. “The destruction of the ship was devastating, but you received favor because she broke up with you. However, if this.” Simon paused, casually waving a hand between the teens. “Were to end before it had actually begun, you’d be seen as the villain.”

“But why?” Liam’s dark eyebrows furrowed together in confusion, surely the Directioners wouldn’t disown him for making a mistake. Right?

“Katherine would be seen as the rebound, the revenge. With absolutely no knowledge of your history together, the fans would eat you alive. They would assume you’ve gone off the deep end because of your break-up with Danielle. You two would have to stay married through the making of this album. The red carpet events, the release and the world-wide tour. The termination of this marriage would have to wait until the fandom has had time to digest the relationship. You would have to make public appearances; act like a couple.” Simon released a hearty chuckle at the utterly disgusted look upon Katherine’s face. “At least in public. Behind closed doors, do as you please.”

“And if I refused?” Katherine’s harmonious voice inquired quietly, everyone’s eyes were on the beauty in an instant. The question had been the first and only thing she’d said during the entire meeting.

“Then the boys would have to deal with the aftermath.” Simon replied quietly, a solemn expression consuming his normally unreadable statuesque features. “Katherine, you have every right to say no. Don’t feel as though you have to agree. This has and will effect your life in every way possible. Make the decision that you feel is right for you, not for them.” The young woman nodded, gnawing anxiously on her bottom lip as she took in the boys’ expressions. Each member, with the exception of Liam, received an uneasy close mouthed smile. Despite their past, Katherine was having a difficult time making a brash decision that could ultimately end these boys’ careers. She was by no means a Directioner, but being an avid fan of the X-Factor, she knew the difficulty each member underwent to make their dream come true. No amount of bad blood, or heartache, could justify destroying the future of five individuals. It would affect each member, their families, and significant others. She couldn’t, and wouldn’t, follow in Liam’s footsteps.

“Can I have time to think this over?” She whispered, warm tears blurring her line of vision. Simon nodded, lavish desk chair squeaking as he extended a comforting hand in the young woman’s direction.

“Take all the time you need, sweetheart.” Simon agreed, patting the girl’s hand affectionately as he smiled sadly. “You have my number when you reach a decision.” An apathetic frown crept across Louis’ modelesque facial structure; he knew she would give in to the pressure. The beautiful young girl had all the makings of a martyr behind those saddened, uncertain milk chocolate hazel flecked irises. Lou could see the vicious internal battle underway, and the moment a heavy sigh escaped those lush beige lips he knew the decision was made.

“I’ll do it.” Katherine whispered in defeat, masking the emotion hidden beneath her tired eyes. She couldn’t refuse; the incessant badgering of her conscious would be unbearable.

“Are you positive?” Simon inquired uneasily. As soon as Katherine nodded silently, tension overwhelmed the group, each member suddenly feeling incredibly guilty for asking something so selfish of the average girl. The members of One Direction knew exactly how it felt to have your privacy stripped, the sacrifices and loss of being in the celebrity A-list; the heartless media that would surely impose upon the poor girl’s life, family and friends. Each member suddenly felt a severe sense of gratitude, the magnetism of a protective bond for the saint. If Katherine would so selflessly surrender all freedoms for their dreams, well, then the boys would all ease the transition and befriend the angelic soul. Louis was the first to whisper appreciation, a humble ‘thank you’ rolling from his quivering lips as his strong hand reached out for her. The moment his calloused fingertips brushed the smooth silky flesh of her delicate hands, he laced their fingers together, squeezing lightly. The remaining members followed suit; Niall Horan’s cobalt irises glistening with warm tears as he pressed an affectionate kiss to the girl’s forehead, Harry Styles strong hand rubbing the young woman’s bare arm soothingly as he nodded in appreciation, and Zayn Malik wrapping a tattooed arm around Katherine’s bare shoulders as he pressed his plush lips against her cheekbone. Simon’s caramel irises scrutinized the group, a vision of a tight-knit family consuming his thoughts. This girl will be good for them, Simon thought to himself as he nodded silently. There was something about the way each member found a sense of new found appreciation for their fame, their achievements, their dreams. This girl could keep them grounded; humble. He’d seen it happen all too often; the younger generation of celebrities allowing themselves to be consumed by fame, fortune and delusions of invincibility.

“Then it’s decided.” Simon stated earning the group’s attention, the click of his pen piercing the silence. The shuffling of documents sounded as he flipped through pages of legal jargon, searching for the allotted signature lines for Mr. and Mrs. Payne to autograph. “Remember that when you sign this,” Simon warned, placing the BIC pen atop the meticulously typed contract. “You can’t change your mind. No matter what happens you both are responsible for the image of this relationship.”

“I understand.” Liam’s conflicted dark chocolate irises watched as Katherine’s trembling manicured hand grasp the pen, scribbling chaotically across the dotted line beneath the neatly printed name Katherine Elizabeth Clarke-Payne. The musician’s mind was consumed with a mess of heart wrenching thoughts; memories of their past. The thought that remained, the idea that lingered was something that he should have immediately shaken off. Liam should have instantly ignored the message his heart was inflicting upon his soul, but instead he followed suit. Signing his name beside Liam James Payne; one statement burning itself within his mind, setting a new goal, a new dream. This is your second chance. Win her back.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you haven't yet, check out the character list.
The main original characters will all be in the next chapter. :)
Comment, Subscribe and Recommend. Let me know what you think! <3