Killjoys, Make Some Noise!

The Memories

Static Memory shifted gears, slammed her foot into the gas, and screamed in joy. Beside her, Energy Emerald did the same. They whooped and high-fived. There was nothing the twins loved more than speeding through the Zones, windows down, music loud, and their hair blowing in the wind. Nothing made them smile like a fast car.

Static Memory looked at her brother, and smiled. Energy Emerald reached forward to turn down the music, and laughed when Static Memory pouted. He took her hand in his. He linked their fingers together, rubbing circles in the back of her hand as he spoke.

"Are you worried?" he asked softly.

Static Memory sighed deeply. "Yeah, I guess. Party Poison's group were our unofficial leaders. It'll be hard to get along without them."

"We don't know fr sure that they're gone."

"Yeah." Static Memory thought for a moment, and then chuckled. "I wish Mom could see us right now."

They both laughed out loud.

"God, she'd tell us to put on our seatbelts!" Energy Emerald remarked.

Static Memory wiped tears from her eyes. Whether they were from laughing, for Jet Star and Kobra Kid, or for their mother, she couldn't tell. Energy Emerald squeezed her fingers.

"We're avenging her, you know. With every Drac we take down... It's for her."

Static Memory nodded.

"Heads up, guys!" a static-y voice came from the Impala's center console.

Static Memory grabbed the walkie-talkie and spoke into it. "What's up?"

"Dracs. Two of 'em."

Static Memory and Energy Emerald both looked in the rearview mirror.

There were two tall men in the all-too-familiar Draculoid masks trailing them on their motorbikes.

"What do you want us to do?"

There was a long silence on the other end. Then, "Take care of 'em."

Static Memory and Energy Emerald smiled at each other.

"Our pleasure, Boss. Over!" Static Memory put the walkie back in the center console, muffling Vampire Tabloid's reply of, "Be careful!"

"I got this one," Energy Emerald said, turning in his seat. He took his orange ray gun from his holster, and climbed through the open window, sitting on the door.

If there was a contest for best aim, Energy Emerald would win, hands down. He focused his gun on the tire of the bike in front, and shot. Only he could've hit the target while hanging out the window of a car moving at 104 miles an hour.

The first Drac's tire blew out, sending him sprawling on the pavement. The second one couldn't turn fast enough, and was launched from his bike when it caught on his fallen friend.

Static Memory and Energy Emerald whooped and cheered in unison as Energy Emerald crawled back into the cab.

"Where to next?" Static Memory asked her walkie.

"BL/ind.," was the only reply.

Static Memory's hands went clammy.