Status: It's coming along really great! Tell me what you think!

The Little Common Word

Colton

It was her; it was Lily; her perfect brown hair, with sparkling green eyes. Is it really her? I walk up to this girl. I begin to spit out words that wouldn’t make since to an alien.
“H- hey, I’m Colton. A-are you new here?” I say, it sounds so high school.
“Well, actually yes. Hi, Colton, I’m Anna.” She says. She even sounds like Lily. Her voice is so beautiful, so crisp.
“That’s a pretty name Anna. What’s you department?” I ask. She tells me and it’s the department below my floor. She seems amazing. Every time she speaks, it’s like angels talking to me. She acts just like Lily as well. She’s clumsy and trips over her own words. I wonder if that’s what Anna does when she’s nervous. Lily did that when she was nervous. In some ways, it makes me want Lily to be here and then other ways I want Lily to not.
I really want to know if Anna is related Lily in some way? And then it hits me when she says the next line.
“Is your last name Claridge?” She says.
“Yes? How’d you know?” I say.
“My sister, she- she dated you. Before she… Before she, passed away.” She says sadly. Wow, this is Lily’s sister. The sister she’s never met before because Lily’s dad took her away. I can’t believe it.
“Ah, so you’re the infamous Anna? Lily talked about you a lot.” I say.
“She has? Wow, I only knew her for about maybe seven years before my dad took me away-“ I stopped her.
“Away from her when she turned nine. It was two days after her ninth birthday I know. She’s told me everything.” I tell her. She looked upset, like all this was her fault.
“I know okay? She was young, too young for her father and sister to abandon her. It wasn’t my decision okay?” She says annoyed. She says it like she’s afraid to admit to anything. I tell her to calm down and that I wasn’t bombarding her with all these questions. She even acts like Lily when she’s frustrated.
“Look, I wasn’t trying to provoke you or anything. I promise. The reason I wanted to talk to you was because you reminded me of Lily. In so many ways, you look like her, act like her, heck, even sound like her. I loved your sister very much, and she loved me too.” I say apologetically. She seems glued to me in an instant.
“Well, we are sisters. Look, if she told you we’ve never met, it’s a lie. I knew her since she was nine and my leaving wasn’t all that involuntary. My dad made me decide whether I should stay or leave with him. Truth is, I wanted to stay, but I felt too bad to leave my father empty handed. So I decided to leave and go with him. I was fourteen at the time and Lily was so much more mature than me. She understood exactly why I left, and she didn’t exactly like it. She didn’t want to be left alone by our mother because I’m sure you know how our mother was. She got mad, and when I left, I left, and never looked back. The first time we talked ever since then was just two months before the accident. We grew a bond again, and then once again, that bond was taken away. But this time, our bond will be gone forever.” Said Anna.
“Look, do you want to come have breakfast with me before the day starts so we can talk?” I ask. She agrees.