‹ Prequel: Sunday in New York
Sequel: Mirrors

Here With Me

twelve.

Image

March 2nd, Saturday Morning

Slowly my eyes opened and immediately a dull pain in my head made me groan. I was lying on my stomach and turned over onto my back, now remembering where I was. I never got to take a good look of the room last night; it was dark like the rest of the apartment. Dark and mysterious, but very very elaborate. The bed had four-posters along with curtains and a canopy. The dresser and tables were antique dark mahogany with intricate carvings along them. His closet was open and from what I could see it was a walk in closet, filled with suits and designer clothing.

I sat up, and continued looking around the room. Christian wasn't around. I buried my face in my hands and sighed, I deserved this terrible hangover and headache.

I moved off the bed, setting my feet on the cool floor before noticing some items on the night table with a note.

Thought you might have a headache, so I've provided Advil and water. And a spare toothbrush. And if you so desire coffee, it will be freshly brewed and waiting for you in the kitchen, with a newspaper, orange juice, and breakfast.

-Christian


How thoughtful. I softly smiled before taking the items and walking into what I hoped was the bathroom. I was right. I stayed in there for a while, staring at myself in the mirror. I had all these different feelings and they were all racing around and crashing into each other. I couldn't look at myself anymore, so I took a deep breath and braced myself to go out to the other room.

Quietly I left his room and walked down the hall till I turned the corner and entered the living room. The stereo was on and it was playing the dark and deep Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven. This song gave me chills. Hudson plays it on the piano sometimes.

I looked around the room and saw that Christian wasn't around, so I walked to kitchen and walked through the swing door. He was at the stove cooking something and looked over his shoulder at me, giving a soft smile.

"Good morning." He spoke, setting down the spatula and walking up to me.

"Morning." I replied. The feelings were going crazy.

He put his hands on my hips, slowly wrapping them around my waist and pulling me closer. "How did you sleep?" He asked.

"Fine, fine." An overwhelming shyness came over me, so I looked down. He brought a hand up to my chin and lifted my face up to his as he kissed me, a long and lingering and soft kiss.

I turned my away and forced a light laugh. "That's quite a 'good morning'."

He just smiled and watched me.

"Where's my bag? My clutch." I asked, walking out of the kitchen.

"Oh, it must be by the door...I think you dropped it last night." He bit his lip, following me out to the door.

"Christian, I'm gonna leave now." I picked up my bag and turned to him.

He furrowed his brow. "What? Why?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "I have to go."

"Avery, what we came to terms with last night...I want to spend time with you, so we can talk more about this."

"I really should g-" I was then interrupted by a frantic knocking at the door. I then recognized the voice calling from the other side of the door.

"Christian, are you in there? Please it's urgent!" Amelia called.

I gasped and covered my mouth. Whispering at him, "Please don't tell her I'm here! Make up something." I ran into the other room to hide. I forgot to text Kennedy last night and Amelia's probably here because of that.

Christian opened the door and Amelia came in. "Christian, do you know where Avery is? She didn't text or call any of us last night and we're worried about her."

"Oh? She's not at her apartment?" Christian asked, trying to act concerned.

"No, and I've been texting and calling her and I think her phone's off or something. I'm just worried about her." Amelia covered her face, trying to keep herself from crying.

"Amelia, I'm sure she's fine. It's Saturday, maybe she went into work since Jann is there, she's been working on this article for a couple days now and said something about wanting to talk it over with our boss. She's probably there." He patted her shoulder, trying to comfort her.

She nodded, "Christian, if you hear from her at all, tell her to call me right away, so I know she's okay."

"I will. I promise." Christian nodded.

"Okay...well, I'll call you later, maybe." She replied as she left the apartment.

I was in his bedroom sitting on the bed, I had just called for a cab and they would be waiting for me in front of the building. Christian came into the room, "She's gone."

I stood up, "Okay, well I'm gonna go then." I walked past him and back down the hall toward the front door.

"Hey wait, Avery are you alright?" He stopped me before I could leave.

"I don't know, I don't know...Christian...I feel something for you and I'm filled with guilt and I feel like I'm caught in between you and Hudson and I'm freaking out, okay?" I held my head, this stress wasn't making this any easier for me.

"Avery that's why I wanna talk with you. Let me take you to dinner tonight. And we'll come back here and talk about everything." He spoke.

I hesitated. "I don't know."

"Please."

I stared at him for a moment, "Okay."

He smiled and stepped forward, pulling me into yet another kiss and holding me close.

"I love you." He whispered. I just stepped back and left his place, getting into the cab downstairs.

I turned on my phone and saw that I had 11 missed calls all from Amelia and 8 missed texts from her, but there was a ninth text. From Hudson.

Hello darling, we've been looking at places today and found some possibilities, but nothing's set in stone yet. Being here in London makes me realize just how much I miss and love it. Not as much though as I miss and love you. I've taken that Ikea catalogue and will be visiting the store later this week to select the items you want and I'll have them delivered to our home here. When we come to London together, that's when we can go to Harrod's and such together. But how are you? I miss you and hope you're doing well. How was Ken's party? Take care darling, I'll be seeing you soon

Hudson xoxo


I closed my eyes and dropped my head back against the seat as the cab continued to remain parked.

Amelia was sitting in her car when she noticed Avery leaving Christian's building. What? Why is Avery here? I just talked to Christian, he just told me he had no idea where she was...he was lying to me...Did Avery spend the night? With...Christian? How could she?