Status: Thanks for clicking :)

What's the Point of Being in Love?

Three;

I groaned as I rested my head on my hands, gazing over Emmie.

“I don’t want to be here right now,” I mumbled. My eyes flicked over to Peyton, who had his arms wrapped tightly around his new girlfriend, Yasmine.

Other-ly known as the school slut. I thought you were supposed to upgrade, not downgrade.

The bitch hated me.

“I know hun,” she replied softly.

I sighed and sat back up, running my fingers tightly through my hair. My eyes were drooping closed.

I stayed up so late last night writing songs…

“Guys!” Erix ran up, other people in the cafeteria giving him odd looks as he tripped over his own feet.

I couldn’t help but giggle.

“What, Erix?” Emmie sighed. She was pretty much the mother of the group.

“We have a show!” he squealed. My eyes widened. I jumped from my seat and began to hop up and down.

“OH MY GOD! WE HAVE A SHOW!”

*

“Where?” Brynn asked Erix as we all practically bounced in our seats.

“Dante’s,” he replied. Erix had taken it upon himself to be like our manager.

We all became even more exited. Dante’s was the most popular club in Portland.

“When?” Emmie asked.

“In two weeks,” he replied. I could see the light dancing in his eyes.

*

It was the night of our gig.

I had my headphones pressed into my ears, playing the set list we had chosen. The first four songs were covers, the first being Hum Hallelujah by Fall Out Boy who was coincidentally all of our favorite band, and our biggest influence. The ad that they set out caught my eye because it said that their looking for an Fall Out Boy style of music.

The next five songs would be songs we’d written ourselves, then the last would be Thnks Fr Th Mmrs by Fall Out Boy. We had agreed that no matter how far we got in fame, Hum Hallelujah would always be the first in our set and Thnks Fr Th Mmrs would be our last.

We had chosen them for three reasons. One was that it was our favorite band, simply that. Second that they were great basis of Peyton and I’s relationship. After Peyton and I broke up, he’d tell me constantly my band was going nowhere. We thought it would be a perfect slap in the face to sing to him once we were big. Our last reason was that it was on both songs were on their most recent album, Infinity On High. We had seen an interview where Pete Wentz was explaining he wrote the lyrics as an “This is where we’re going to be a year from now, and this is what you’re going to be saying about us”. We thought that description was perfect for us.

Right now, I had Jasey Rae by All Time Low playing in my ears. It was one of their more complicated songs of the album that they had released just last year. It took me most of three hours to memorize it.

I sung the lyrics low under my breath, tugging at the hem of my tank top.

“Do I look okay?” I asked, for probably the millionth time that night.

“You look fine,” Abner assured me, for probably the billionth time that night. Normally, he’d be bouncing off the walls, but he was just as nervous as the rest of us. He sat on the couch backstage, bouncing his leg up and down.

Erix sat next to him, twirling his drumsticks around on his fingers so fast I thought he’d knock himself in the face.

The song in my ears switched to Leave Out All The Rest by Linkin Park. I hummed along to the intro then began to sing along.

“Guys!” Emmie walked in, eyes wide. We all turned to her. “The crowd is fucking huge!”

Brynn gave a groan, “Way to make me even more nervous, Em.”

Emmie pressed her lips together and began to knot her fingers together.

“It’ll be okay, Em,” I assured her. “We’ll do just fine.” Just then the door opened, and one of the workers of the place stuck his head on.

“You’re on,” he said.

My stomach started to do all kinds of weird things, twisting and turning and groaning in my stomach.

I turned off my iPod and stuck it on the couch, then we all stumbled from the room, quickly making our way to the stage. After some last minute preparations with some of the workers, a man walked on the stage.

“Yo, Dante’s!” he excitedly said into the microphone in his head. The crowd cheered. “You havin’ fun tonight?” They cheered again. “Good! We have a new band playing tonight…We hope you enjoy them for their first show!” The crowd yelped. “Please help me welcome Friday With Two Meanings!”

He quickly exited the stage as the crowd yelled and screamed. Emmie had to give me a little push, and we quickly made our way onstage.

I took my place next to the microphone stand, staring out at the crowd.

“Uh, hello,” I said. I mentally slapped myself. “We’re Friday With Two Meanings, my name is Cayne Wright. Over there on guitar is Brynn Bon” – Brynn gave a little riff on his guitar – “on bass we have Abner Henshaw” – Abner played a little part on his bass – “Emmie Jenkins is our keyboardist” – Emmie struck a few notes on her keyboard – “and last, but not least, we have Erix Henshaw on drums.” Erix beat a few on his drums. The crowd yelled in welcome. “First, we’d like to play Hum Hallelujah by Fall Out Boy.” The crowd probably screamed louder than last time. Brynn, Abner, Emmie, and Erix began in the intro.

Then it was my turn. I was lucky I didn’t choke when I began to sing.

It's all a game of this or that, now versus then
better off against worse for wear
And you're someone who knows someone who knows someone I once knew
And I just want to be a part of this

The road outside my house is paved with good intentions
Hired a construction crew, 'cause it's hell on the engine
You are the dreamer and we are the dream.
I could write it better than you ever felt it.

So hum hallelujah,
Just off the key of reason
I thought I loved you
It was just how you looked in the light.
A teenage vow in a parking lot
"Till tonight do us part"
I sing the blues and swallow them too


By the time I was done with the chorus, I felt amazing. I wasn’t nervous anymore, and by the looks of my band, neither were they.

I felt amazing.

My words are my faith to hell with our good name.
A remix of your guts-your insides X-rayed
And one day we'll get nostalgic for disaster
we're a bull, your ears are just a china shop

I love you in the same way, there's a chapel in a hospital
One foot in your bedroom and one foot out the door
Sometimes we take chances, sometimes we take pills.
I could write it better than you ever felt it.

So hum hallelujah,
Just off the key of reason
I thought I loved you
It was just how you looked in the light.
A teenage vow in a parking lot
"Till tonight do us part"
I sing the blues and swallow them too

Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelu...
Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelu...
(Hum hallelujah (Hum hallelujah), hum hallelujah (Hum hallelujah)

A teenage vow in a parking lot
"Till tonight do us part"
I sing the blues and swallow them too

So hum hallelujah,
Just off the key of reason
I thought I loved you
It was just how you looked in the light.
A teenage vow in a parking lot (Hum hallelujah)
"Till tonight do us part"
Love in a parking lot (Hum hallelujah)
"Till tonight do us part"
A teenage vow in a parking lot
"Till tonight do us part"
I sing the blues and swallow them too


By the end of the song, I had adrenaline coursing through my veins. I was soaring, and I knew one thing: This is the best feeling, ever.

The crowd screamed. I grinned.

“Thank you, guys! This song is called Sugar, Jasey Rae by All Time Low.” The intro played.

Lights out, I still hear the rain…