My Miserable Romance

All the small things

Asking the guys to be our best men was only a small step, we still had loads of things to decide, which the girl-trio; Annie, Lucy and Bella wouldn’t stop reminding us of. After three weeks of hearing them nag us about buying suits, looking for a church and such things, Frank and I finally agreed to let them do it all, with certain supervising from the two of us. So the girls did pretty much all the planning, but Frank and I had to approve everything they did; not that I cared – I trusted them to make it perfect, but Frank wanted to be a part of it too. So the girls had called us for a ‘wedding-meeting’ where we were gonna go through some details, but frankly, I didn’t wanna go, because I didn’t give a shit about all this, the planning that is, I do care about the wedding, but just don’t think that it’s necessary to get so worked up in the details. Frank didn’t care though, he forced me, but seeing that the girls were gonna come over to our place, it didn’t seem to tiring. All I had to do was to sit around with them and agree with everything they said.

“So… Roses or lilies?” Annie asked and looked at Frank, who looked at me, who was half asleep out of boredom in a sitting position with my head resting in my hands.
“Where?” I asked stupidly and they all made an impatient sigh.
“Well, we’re talking about the centrepieces, so what do you think?” Lucy smirked. She was probably the only one left that hadn’t snapped at me for my lack of interest in this yet.
“Are we gonna have flowers on the tables?” I asked, confused, which resulted in the four people who was sitting in front of me sighing again.
“Yes, there will be flowers on the tables” Frank said, “Unless you don’t want there to be?”
“Er, I…” I started. This is what I wanted to avoid – making decisions… “I don’t know” Good one, it’s the easiest answer to chose, but oh, so effect full. Frank shrugged and then turned to the girls.
“Alright, roses” he established and Bella wrote it down on the paper.
“Have you looked around for a church?” she asked and turned to look at me.
“I don’t know” I said quickly and; surprise, they all sighed.
“Gerard, why are you here?” Annie asked and I gestured at Frank.
“He forced me!”
“Right…” she said and looked at Frank, “So, church?”
“No, we don’t have a church, but there is this place…”

And that’s where I once again spaced out. It’s so boring… The only thing I knew that I wanted was to wear a black suit with a red tie, walking down the isle with Frank and leave the church with him as my husband and that’s kinda how far my planning had come. I mean, does anyone really care about a stupid centrepiece? Or what shade of red the roses are gonna be? Blah, it’s just gonna be our closest friends and families there, so who cares? Frank had been at his grandparent’s house, but apparently, it didn’t work out too well. He was suppose to live there for three days, but came home after one day, because his grandpa had kicked him out. I guess it was because Frank had told them he was marrying a guy, but I didn’t know - he didn’t explain to me, but he didn’t seem to care either, so I didn’t ask.

I felt a hand grab my arm that was supporting my head, snatching it away, and before I knew it, a sharp pain was shooting through my forehead as my head hit the wooden table in front of me.
“Ow!” I yelled and rubbed my forehead. “What was that for?!”
“You were sleeping” Frank muttered.
“I was not!” I protested, “I was thinking”
“Oh, sorry” he said, but didn’t look too sorry about the fact that he had given me a major headache, he actually looked annoyed. I groaned and put back my head in my hands, making sure to be ready if he did it again.
“How do you want the invitation cards to look like?” Lucy asked.
“Maybe Gerard’s got an idea about that?” Frank said and it was impossible to miss the annoyance in his voice. Oh great, now he’s mad because I’m not coming with any ideas…
“No,” I said, still rubbing my forehead. I think he cracked my skull. “I don’t care, you can-“
“You don’t care?” he asked, raising his eyebrow and I tilted my head backwards, staring up in the ceiling.
“No, no I care, but-“
“But?” he pushed.
“But… Er, I have to go to the bathroom” I said quickly and before any of them could stop me, I was on my way out of the kitchen. I didn’t know why Frank had changed into this; he didn’t care about planning the wedding before, and now he’s mad at me for not caring… I stayed in the hall for a couple of minutes until I was sure that they had dropped the whole ‘invitation card’-discussion and then walked back in again. I sat down and got back to my old position with my head in my hands, but they didn’t seem to notice my return. I slipped in to a trance again and this time they didn’t interrupt me until half an hour later, probably knowing by now that I wasn’t gonna come with any suggestions anyway.

“Wouldn’t it be cool if you had an animal to give you the rings?” I heard a voice say and it took me a few seconds to register what it said.
“Wait, what?” I asked, jerking my head up from my hands. “Animals? In a church? On my wedding?”
“Because you care so much about this wedding, huh?” Frank murmured and I gave him a questioned look.
“Of course I-“
“You better start showing it then!” he snapped, sounding both mad and frustrated. I just nodded, not knowing what to say.
“But… But animals?” I asked carefully and he gave me a murderous look. Oh damn, I shouldn’t have said something...
“If you would’ve been listening,” he said slowly and his voice got colder and colder for every word he said, “You would’ve known that we were kidding”
“Oh” I said quietly, “Sorry, I-“
“Whatever” Frank interrupted me and I knew that I had to do something to make him happy, otherwise this could turn out into something ugly.
“I have an idea though” I said carefully, not really sure that they wanted to hear any suggestions from my side right now. “About the invitation cards, I was thinking that I could draw something on them”
“Okay? Like a picture or something?” Annie said with a smile. Apparently, Frank found the table a lot more interesting than me right now, because he had his eyes attached to it, avoiding my nervous glances, but encouraged by Annie’s smile, I continued.
“I was thinking that I could draw something on them like… two rings or something” I said, and to my relief, Frank tore away his eyes from the table to look at me, smiling.
“Can you do that?”
“Of course I can” I nodded with a smile and he leaned over to kiss me.
“Thank you”
It was kinda ridiculous that he was thanking me for it; he was practically planning the whole wedding and I just came with an idea, but I didn’t complain.
“On one condition though”
“What?” he asked and I considered not telling him in case he would take it the wrong way, but decided that it was worth a shot.
“That I don’t have to do this” I said, gesturing at our small little gathering. “I love you and I care about the wedding, but I hate this!”
“Yeah sure, you’re free to go” he sighed. “You weren’t too useful anyway”
“Thank you” I grinned and was just about to leave the kitchen when he called me back. “What?”
“On one condition” he said, smirking.
“No, no, no, you can’t have a condition on a condition, honey” I said quickly, knowing that his condition wouldn’t be good.
“Alright… Well, then you have to get your ass back and start planning the wedding cake-“
“What’s your condition?” I asked, rolling my eyes at his smirking face.
“That you’re gonna meet Lisa tomorrow” he said and I jumped back into my chair, ready to start planning the stupid wedding.
“So, the wedding cake…” I started, but Frank just grinned at me.
“You’re gonna have to meet her tomorrow anyway”
“Why?”
“’Cause I invited her”
“Without asking me?”
“You would’ve said no”
“Of course I would’ve said no, I can’t stand that bit-“
“Gerard!”
“That… woman” I said after thinking how I could describe her without making him mad at me. “Why did you invite her?”
“Because you can’t stand each other” he said matter of factly, like that explained everything. “And you have to learn how to be in the same room together before the wedding”
“This might be interesting…” I moaned, “Alright, I’ll meet her but I can’t promise you that I’ll be nice to her”
“Oh yes you can, and you will” Frank said sternly, but I shook my head and left the kitchen before he could say anything. I knew I would get shit for that later, but I couldn’t care less right now. I had to mentally prepare myself for meeting Lisa in less than 24 hours.

The girls left two hours later and I, who hadn’t had anything to do, had fallen asleep on the couch but was brutally awoken by Frank throwing himself on me.
“This is the second time you’re hurting me today” I groaned and rubbed my shoulder that had been pressed between his and my own body in an uncomfortable angle.
“But you deserved it the first time” he grinned and adjusted himself so he was lying completely on top of me with his chest against mine. “But I’m sorry for this time”
“You’re excused” I said, “And I forgive you for being so mean to me before too”
“Yeah, I’m sorry about that, but when the girls started planning it, I noticed that there are a lot of things that can go wrong and I want to have full control of everything that’s happening” he said, giving my lips small pecks between his words. “Nothing’s gonna ruin our day”
“Your ex might”
“Oh shut up, she’s very nice… When you’re not around” he smirked. “And by the way, she won’t ruin anything”
“Damn right she wont” I said, “I’ll kill her myself if she-“
“She wont do anything” he repeated and put his forehead against mine. I winced slightly at this, and he seemed to realize what he did before to make me hit my head in the table. “You totally deserved it and you know it”
“You’re so mean” I complained and bit him in his bottom lip, forcing him to bring his head closer to me unless he didn’t want me to bite his lip off. “What time is she coming?”
“Who?” he mumbled against my lips with his eyes closed.
“Lisa”
“Like… eleven a.m or something, I don’t know” he said impatiently, waiting for me to stop talking so we could start making out.