My Miserable Romance

Disgusting.

“Lisa?” I said confused, and he nodded at the direction of the bedroom door. I turned my head and saw Lisa stand in the doorway with nausea written all over her face. Realizing that Gerard was naked, I pulled up the covers over him and then jumped up from the bed.

“H-how did you come in?” I asked, but she just stared blankly in front of her. “Lisa?”

“Huh?” she asked and shook her head to snap out of the trance. “Sorry, what? Your conversation was kind of… disgusting”

“You weren’t suppose to hear it, so you have yourself to blame” Gerard said from the bed and I pushed Lisa out of the bedroom so they wouldn’t start arguing.

“Who let you in?” I asked Lisa.

“I did… I rang the doorbell for at least ten minutes and then saw that it was open, so I walked in” she explained. “I’m really sorry, I shouldn’t have”

“Looks like we need a new lock. We don’t want insane people walking in and out whenever they want, eh?” I heard Gerard’s voice behind me and I closed my eyes, just wishing that for once, they would get along.

“Especially not when a certain someone is lying naked on the bed like a whore for the whole world to see” Lisa shot back and I had to hold out an arm to stop Gerard from coming too close to her.

“Go and take a shower. Now” I hissed at him. I was so annoyed that they just had to fight all the time, but the annoyance quickly drained off me when I saw the hurt showing in Gerard’s voice. “Please baby” I added softly, giving him a smile and to my relief, he returned it before walking off to the bathroom.

“How have you been?” Lisa asked where we sat around the kitchen table. Gerard was still in the shower, so I had at least a few more minutes of peace before they started fighting again.

“I’ve been great” I answered, “You?”

“Good” she said and then, after hesitating a bit, she continued. “How are things with Gerard? Is he treating you good?”

“Better than I’m worth” I said and couldn’t stop myself from smiling widely. “I really love him”
I looked up at her to see if she was sad over my last comment, but she just folded her hands on the table, looking at them before raising her head.

“I wanted to talk to you about last time we saw each other, Frank. When… When I told you I wanted you back”
Oh God, don’t let Gerard walk in right now, don’t let Gerard walk in right now…

“Okay?” I asked.

“I wasn’t myself after I broke up with you, and I apologize for that, and I didn’t want you back, not now and not back then”
Let Gerard walk in right now, let Gerard walk in right now…

“That’s… That’s good” I smiled. Maybe this wasn’t gonna be so bad after all. “Have you found something one else?”

“No, not yet” she said with a slight laugh and for the second time this morning, I couldn’t help smiling. This was the Lisa I had grown up with. “But I’ll meet someone soon, I’m sure”

“So am I” I said and got up from my chair. “Just gonna see how Gerard’s doing, okay?”
She nodded and I walked out in the hall and over to the bathroom. I knocked and it took a few seconds, then he opened with a towel wrapped around his hips and his hair dripping wet.

“You done?” I asked.

“Yeah, just give me a minute” he said and was just about to close the door when I stopped him.

“Wait, there was one more thing” I said and he opened the door again and leaned at the doorframe.

“What?”

“Don’t fight with her” I said and he smiled at me.

“She’s fighting with me, I’m just defending myself”

“Well, don’t. Prove that you’re more mature than her, alright?”

“But I’m not”

I sighed and turned to walk back to the kitchen when he put a hand on my shoulder.

“I’ll try”

“Promise?”

“Yes…”

“Thank you” I beamed, “We’re in the kitchen, hurry up”

“Of course, ‘cause I can’t wait to see her again…” he muttered sarcastically. I was probably not supposed to hear that. He gave me an apologetically smile before closing the bathroom door and I returned to the kitchen.

“Hey Frank, why am I here?” Lisa asked as soon as I entered the kitchen. I realized that I hadn’t told her about my plan to get her and Gerard to be friends.

“Because you and Gee has to get along. I won’t let you two ruin my wedding day” I explained and she frowned.

“Me? Friend with Gerard? Frank, have you lost your brain, the man hates me!” she exclaimed and then added a bit quieter. “And I’m not so happy about him either…”

“That’s why you’re here, to get to know him. I know he can be a bit… haughty when you’re around, but I swear, he’s nothing like that when you know him” I said with an almost pleading voice, afraid that she might just get up and leave any second.

“Alright… But it won’t work. Gerard and I are bound to be enemies” she smiled, but her face fell when she saw something behind me and I turned around. Gerard was standing in the doorway, looking, if possible, hotter than ever and I didn’t know if it was his looks that had gotten Lisa’s face to change or if it was just the sight of him.

“Nice to see you again, Gerard” Lisa said, but apparently couldn’t stop herself from adding; “With clothes”

He blushed a bit before walking over to the table and sat down next to me, opposite Lisa.

“I wish I could say the same to you, but it’s never nice to see you, naked or dressed” he smirked. I sighed deeply and banged my head in the table. “I’m just kidding” Gerard added quickly and put a hand on my neck to make me stop hurting myself.

“I guess Frank has told you that I’m coming to the wedding” Lisa said and I couldn’t tell if she was saying it to piss Gerard off or just trying to make a conversation.

“Yes, he has” Gerard said stiffly.

“And he’s fine with it” I said and Lisa gave him a surprised look.

“Really?”

“Apparently” Gerard muttered and got my elbow in his rips. “I mean, yes, I am”

Alright… This is going okay.
There was an awkward silence, or at least I thought so, the two of them just seemed happy that I didn’t force them to talk anymore.

“Do you still want Frank back?” Gerard asked suddenly and I was just about to pound my head into the table again when he stopped me. “I deserve to know” he whispered. “I’m not trying to make her mad”

“If I do, there’s nothing you can do about it” Lisa smirked and I gave her a warningly look, but she ignored it.

“Oh really?” He quickly stood up from his chair, but I pulled him down to sit again.

“You promised” I mumbled. He rolled his eyes in annoyance.

“This is a bad idea, Frankie…” he said back quietly.

“Maybe, but it’s necessary. Be nice”

“You’re lucky to have someone like Frank to keep up with your shit, Gerard. Not many have the patience to deal with it” Lisa said, completely ignoring what I told her before and I felt that if she didn’t stop, Gerard would forget his promise too.

“I know” he said, gritting his teeth and I placed a hand on his thigh to calm him down. If he managed to go through with his without snapping at her, I’ll never ask him about a favour ever again. “But you’re not the one to talk, are you now?”

“Gee…” I pleaded quietly.

“She insulted me” he murmured.

“What’s that suppose to mean?” Lisa asked with an amused look upon her face.

“I can’t see any ring on your finger” he smirked, admiring his own. “Which means that people have a hard time dealing with you too, huh?”

“Watch it, or I’ll make sure you don’t have a ring on your finger” I hissed at him, but he didn’t listen. He just looked at Lisa, eager to fight.

“A piece of gold doesn’t mean that you’re nicer than me” she smirked.

“No, but I have someone who loves me, which the piece of gold symbolises”
Seriously, are they arguing about who’s loved the most?

“I don’t like any of you right now, so just shut up and stop acting like four year olds!” I said sternly and they both nodded. “Promise?” They nodded again. “Alright… So, let’s start over”
“Whatever…” Gerard murmured and then raised his head up to look at Lisa. “Nice to see you again, Elisabeth”
I knew he was just using her real name to piss her off, but he was at least trying to start over, so I let it pass.

“Nice to see you too, Gerard” she mumbled and looked at me. “Happy?”

“Very” I smiled. “Now, Gerard, tell Lisa who you are”

“Are you kidding?” he exclaimed, but frowned when he saw my serious face. “Frankie please, we’re not on back in kindergarten here, there’s no need for that…”

“You act like a four year old, so I’m gonna treat you like it too” I stated.

“I won’t do it” he protested.

“Oh come on, all you have to do is to tell her what you like and dislike”

“Fine! I like Frank, to be on stage and to draw and I dislike needles, cold coffee and you” he said quickly, adding the ‘and you’ so quietly that I could barely hear it, but I did.

“You couldn’t be nice for once, huh?” I muttered and he shook his head. “Alright, Lisa, your turn”

“No” she said quickly. “I don’t wanna know anything about him, and I’m sure he feels the same way about me”

“Damn right” Gerard shot in and I looked at them.

“Please?” I begged, tilting my head slightly. “For me?”

“No” Lisa said and I sighed.

“Fine, you don’t have to. But this means that you have to be a lot nicer than before” I said and saw Gerard smirk. “That goes for you too!”

“I’ll be nice. I’m always nice” he said and now it was Lisa’s time to smirk.

“Or not…” she said and he glared at her.

“Like you’re much better”

“You’re both mean, so shut up!” I exclaimed and they stopped talking. There was another awkward silence, for me, not for them, and we all just sat at the table.