I Won't Give Up

Greg

My heart was shattered, and seeing Dawson there made things ease up. I held him close as we lay on the couch, needing him there to keep me from completely losing it. Angel soon walked in alone, his entire being on the verge of falling. I immediately untangled myself from Dawson and ran to my brother, falling with him and catching him in my arms. "I'm here, Angel."

Angel held onto me for dear life, needing the comfort more than I knew. "Dawson, come over here please," I said, immediately hearing the familiar shuffle of his feet. Holding out my hand, I felt him grab it and just as quickly he was on his knees beside us. I saw his arm go around Angel's shoulders, and after he let go of my hand, he wrapped his arms around mine. For the rest of the night, we remained there.

Time Elapse

I awoke with a start the next morning, seeing Angel curled up at the end of the couch and Dawson on the recliner. I apparently remained on the floor, which would be why my back was currently hurting. I hear a muffled gurgle come from the back room, and immediately got up. The front door to the lodge opened, and Chase's voice filled the air. "Angel? Greg?" he called out.

Jogging over to him, I put a finger to my mouth and motioned for him to follow me. Once inside the room where the kids were, I wrapped mom in arms. "We'll get through this, Mom. Promise," I said, guiding him over to where Junior was currently sitting up and smiling. "Meet Junior," I said, lifting him up and turning him towards Chase.

"He looks so much like you," Chase said, laughing softly as Junior immediately leaned for him. "Still got it," he said, causing me to chuckle.

"Daddy?" I heard Ameila say, causing me to look over at the bed and see her rubbing her eyes. "Who's that?" she asked, pointing at Chase.

"That's my mom," I said, walking over to the bed and sitting down, resting against the head board. She crawled over to me and sat on my lap, snuggling into me as close as she could.

"Is he like Mommy?" she asked, and I knew exactly what she meant.

"No, I don't believe so. You're mommy is definitely special," I said, causing Chase to snort. "Go wake up Mom so my mom and I can talk, okay?" Ameila nodded and crawled off, soon disappearing out of the room. "Dawson carried them," I said bluntly, causing Chase to look at me strangely.

"What?" he asked as he changed Junior.

"Dawson literally carried Junior and Ameila, like a woman would carry a child. In the womb," I said, causing Chase to nearly mess up the diaper. "That's why I said he was special. I'm not saying you're not special, you put up with a house full of idiots nearly single handed. Dawson said he could barely handle me, Angel, and the kids."

"If only he knew, right?" Chase asked, looking exhausted and depressed. "I wouldn't trade it for the world, though. So many happy memories that outweighed the bad."

Dawson walked in a few minutes later, Ameila curled up in his arms. Chase and I were currently watching Junior with attentive eyes. "That's it, Junior," I said as Chase and I backed away. Dawson came closer to get a better look, and I could sense him smiling. For just a moment later, Junior walked from the changing table ... straight to Chase, who immediately picked him up and swung him around.

"As one life ends, another is just getting started," Chase said, trying so hard to keep the tears from falling over. "You've got a beautiful family here, Greg," he went on, looking between Dawson and the kids.

"I came from one," I replied, pressing a kiss to the top of his head. "If it weren't for you and Dad, I may not have made it this far. I wouldn't have Ameila and Junior. I wouldn't even have met Dawson." I met Dawson's gaze for a long moment, his blue eyes sparkling in the fluorescent lighting. I grabbed his hand and kissed it, before placing a tender kiss on his temple. "I owe you and my parents so much," I whispered.

Quietly, Chase, Dawson, the kids and I made our way out of the lodge and towards the cemetery. For the first time since I moved East, I felt as if I belonged.