Status: This is my first offical published piece, so go easy on me

Manipulator

Chapter 16

When I wake up, I pull my note book out of my bag and begin to write down lyrics to a song I heard in my head. "That sounds beautiful." I turn to see the silver eyed man. "Can you sing it?" I hesitate before I say no.
He seems a bit sad at the answer, but he looks like he understands.
"Alright." His eyes are soft and gentle.
I roll my eyes, and tear out the page. "It's pointless, anyway." He goes back to his companion, and the driver looks at me.
"We're here." I look in ahead to see a large city, with towering skyscrapers, not like Kaboia. As we drive into the bus station, I climb off and look for a man with black glasses and a cane. He's easy to spot, sitting on the bench.
"Mr. Thomas?" I question as I sit next to him.
He turns my way. "Depends on who's asking." He lifts his glasses to show his fogged blue eyes.
"My name is Isabel Dawson." I introduce myself. He grabs my wrist, and one of the hooded boys walks over and grabs his hand, pulling it off of mine. His hood gets blown off to show his green eyes and blonde hair.
"Ryan!?" I yell puzzled. The companion pulls his hood down to show his black hair, "Sorrin?! You guys followed me?" I scream angrily, drawing the lines to trap them in my mind. I choose a scene at random and a thick jungle envelopes around. The blind man takes me hand and calms me down.
"Yes, Isabel," He calmly states, "I am John Thomas. Don't use your power here." We walk away together, grandfather and granddaughter. I look over my shoulder to see my friends watching, but I don't ask them to follow me. They'll probably just do it. Grandpa's house is large, with strong iron fences and a beautiful horse statue. As I walk my last adult relative inside, I see the grand foyer, which is decorated with golden columns and a grand painting on the roof as I look up to see what Heaven must look like. Everything seems to shine with an otherworldly light. Servants and maids scurry about anxiously, tidying things and such.
A maid with black braided hair marches over and gives me quite a nasty look. "Who are you? And why are you bringing Mr. Thomas back to his own home?" She's quite vulgar with her tone towards me.
I hold myself professionally. "My name is Isabel; I am this gentleman's granddaughter." She immediately changes the way she holds herself.
"Is this true, Mr. Thomas?" She asks sincerely. Grandpa signals my words true and she looks a little troubled.
"I'm very sorry, ma'am." She takes Grandpa away, and leaves me in the hazardous situation of wandering around my bastion home. I go up the stars, hiding few doors. One had John carved skillfully into the wood, and another with no name. I shove open the door and am struck with grime. It looks like my old room, but a whole lot dirtier. I step back out, and look at another door. "Isabel" is carved in cursive onto the white door, and I enter into the most beautiful room.
It looks like my tree house, the make-shift furniture and box by the door filled with food and water. I throw myself onto the bed, and stare at the ceiling, painted to match the night sky.
"He loves you a lot." I jump as a young girl enters my room. She's dressed as the maid who took my Grandfather somewhere else, but her hair is lovely glittering silver.
"I know." I stare at her confused as she places some stuff in my box. "What's your name?"
She looks at me surprised. "Ch…Cherry." She gives me a small smile, and then proceeds to leave me in peace. I pull out my mp3 player, and scroll through my playlists, until I come to my Evanescence group. "Hello" starts to play softly,
"Playground school bell rings again
Rain clouds come to play again
Has no one told you she's not breathing?
Hello, I'm your mind giving you someone to talk to
Hello
If I smile and don't believe
Soon I know I'll wake from this dream
Don't try to fix me, I'm not broken
Hello, I'm the lie living for you so you can hide
Don't cry
Suddenly I know I'm not sleeping
Hello, I'm still here
All that's left of yesterday." I realize how depressing it is, but it matches everything that's been happening to me. I leave that playlist and head to the single song that caresses my mind.
"Dancing bears, painted wings
Things I almost remember
And a song, someone sings
Once upon a December.
Someone holds me safe and warm
Horses prance through a silver storm
Figures dancing gracefully
Across my memory." The instrumental comes, and I relax to the soothing sound.
"Someone holds me safe and warm
Horses prance thru a silver storm
Figures dancing gracefully
Across my memory.
Far away, long ago,
Glowing dim as an ember
Things my heart used to know
Things it yearns to remember
And a song, someone sings
Once upon a December!" A thump outside my window pulls me to look outside. I gasp in horror.
♠ ♠ ♠
The songs in this chapter are:
Once upon a December - Anastasia
Hello - Evanescence