Cigarette Burns

Chapter Seventeen

We walked into the small diner and walked to the very back where the booths were located. I slid in the both first, closest to the window with Matt following behind me. Rhi slid in first on the other side to sit directly across from me with Zacky following her as well. Johnny followed Zacky's lead and fit himself on the edge while Brian and Jimmy pulled up a two-person table and connected it to ours. They pulled over chairs to the table and Jimmy sat down next to Johnny as Brian sat himself comfortably beside Matt.

Soon after the waitress came to our table and took all of our orders. She smiled at Brian before she turned around and walked back to the kitchen. Everyone else but me was all intrigued with their conversations during that moment. I leaned forward slightly and looked at Brian. He turned his head and looked at me. I smiled and mouthed, 'she's pretty'. He smiled back and nodded his head and mouthed back, 'I know'.

I leaned back and rested against the back of the cushioned booth. I looked around and took in everything around me. The diner we were sitting in was a 50's diner, done in reds, whites and blacks. There was an old-school jukebox set up on the opposite side of the room and smaller versions on each table, accepting a nickel to play an old 50's rock classic.

As everyone was talking and laughing about something that I had completely zoned out during, Matt reached down to the seat of the booth with his left hand and lightly grabbed my right hand, lacing our fingers together. I looked up at him in time to see him turn his head and look at me, smiling. I always thought he was adorable when he smiled, I swear it was those dimples. I smiled back up at him and gave our connected hands a little squeeze.

It didn't take long for our special-of-the-day breakfast meals to be ready, not to mention at this time of day the diner wasn't all that crowed. The odd couple would come in, but for the most part, it was just our group. Once again the waitress smiled at Brian. Over the laughter and voices I didn't hear what Brian said to her, but it made her blush as she turned around and walked back to the kitchen, but not before turning her head for one last glance at him.

I participated during the conversations during our meal because there was nothing to distract me- leading me into my own world of thoughts. Some how penguins were brought into a discussion that started out about a new song the boys were working on. At that point, I almost lost it. I sat there and shook my head and set down my fork. I swallowed the bite I had in my mouth, "wow, wow, wow. Before you go any further, how did penguins get brought up into this?"

Everyone laughed and shrugged their shoulders. Zacky was leaned over, clutching his stomach as he laughed. Rhi shook her head and rolled her eyes at him, "it was Jimmy, hun. He was just being random as usual; I almost lost myself in confusion too." Rhi laughed and took a sip of her cranberry juice. I smiled and shook my head, picking my fork back up and finishing my breakfast.

When we were done, the waitress came and gave us our bill. Brian stood up and stretched, "this is on me, guys." He made his way to the cash register that the waitress was standing at. I watched them as they smiled and laughed. Rhi noticed that I was staring off and followed my gaze. She smiled upon seeing Brian and the girl talking. I watched as they exchanged numbers and then moved my gaze up to Matt as Brian turned around, only to notice that Matt had been watching his best-friend too. I lightly nudged him with my elbow and then looked out the window, trying my best to look innocent.

Matt nudged me back, so I turned around and looked up at him. "What?" I asked, acting clueless. He widened and then playfully narrowed his eyes down at me. I shrugged my shoulders and looked out the window again. When I was sure he wasn't looking at me anymore, I nudged him again. A moment later I felt his gaze set upon me, but he kept quite. All of the sudden I felt his hands on my sides as he started to tickle me. I gasped and tried to hold in my laughter- it didn't last long. Matt had a strong hold on my sides and I soon ended up laying on my back with my knees in the air and my back across Matt's lap. Although, that didn't stop him for a nanosecond- he kept tickling my sides and smiling down at me. I heard some of the guys and Rhi laughing at us. "Help, Rhi help! I can't... I can't take anymore!" I yelped.

"Oh no, I'm not getting involved. Last time this happened, I ended up being the one tortured!" Rhi shook her head as she stood up.

Brian and Jimmy had already moved their table back to it's original spot. I took notice that everyone was on their way to the door. I pointed to them and Matt followed my direction. He quickly stood up and then picked me up, swinging me up and over his shoulder. He began towards his car and then set me down, leaning me against the passenger side of the door. He set an arm on either side of me and pressed his body against mine, leaning his forehead against mine. I rested my hands on his hips and smiled up at him. I saw a flash go off and moved my gaze to the side to see Rhi standing there with a triumphant smile on her face. She smiled and then turned around to talk to the other guys. Matt leaned in and grazed his lips across mine, lightly. I sighed contently and closed my eyes. I felt him set his lips on mine with a little more pressure; I smiled and wrapped my arms around him. I wasn't sure if it was fireworks going off or the flash to Rhi's camera- but it was beautiful.

Matt pulled away and we looked at the guys. A moment later they turned around, "beach?" Johnny asked.

I smiled, "sounds wonderful."