Facing the Obstacles

Chapter 9

Okay, so, I think you are all ready for the next two years.
I hope.

"I GOT MY LICENSE!!!!!" Heidi screamed out in happiness, running out of the driver's ed building.
"That's great Dee!" Zach smiled, spinning her around and bringing her down for the kiss.
"Mm mm, boy, you are SMOOTH!" Michael yelled over at Zach.
Zach released his grasp around Heidi, cracking up. "I have my moments."
I put down my guitar and went to go hug my sister. Zach, Cameron, Nathan, Michael and I had been practicing some new songs and they were coming along pretty well.
"We should show Heidi what we've got so far," Zach said.
"Good idea," I said, slinging my guitar back on my shoulders. "K, you guys ready?" I asked, as they nodded.
Zach started to sing:
“This beat’s got me down on my knees… It’s got a little touch of therapy. There’s something in the water making me crazy; if this is do or die it still doesn’t faze me…”
When he got close to the end he leaned closer to Heidi. “If I asked you to stay, would you come back and dance with me?”
She laughed. “YES!”
He smiled and finished off the song.
"WHOO! That was awesome guys, keep up the good work!" Heidi cheered.
"I'm glad you like it," I said. "We've been working on it for a while."
"Let's get going boys," Heidi concluded. "I'm driving," she added as everyone else groaned, besides Zach.
"Ugh, we'll get home in about five hours," Nathan teased, in mock annoyance.
"Hey, be nice to my babe!" Zach added to her, "I'll sit up front and help you."
"Yeah, thanks hon, just one thing."
"Yeah?"
"Don't call me 'babe,'" she playfully hip-checked him. Walking to the car, he chased after her.
"You can't hip-check me and walk away!" he leaned down and kissed her, leaving us all awkwardly standing there.
"Eww, get a room," Cameron said disgustingly.
"You're jealous," Zach replied, leaning in and kissing her longer.
"Jealous of what? Getting STDs?" Cameron asked, as Michael held on to Nathan for support, while he died of laughter. I laughed til my eyes began to burn and finally when it all died down, we left and got home a lot faster than Nathan had predicted.

The next day at school, some guy in my grade came up to me. "Hey Tom, how's it going? I can't believe we haven't talked since eighth grade!"
Background: His name was Tristen, he was one of those troublemaker kids that every grade has and I never really even slightly considered being his friend. Now all of a sudden he acted like he was an old pal... strange.
"Hi Tristen, it's going well. No offense or anything, but why are you all of a sudden buddy-buddy with me? We've never really talked before. At all."
"Oh, well I just thought, new year, new friends, you know? Anyway, would you want to hang out at the park on Friday and play some football?"
Oh, well I'm not much of a football player..."
"Well you don't have to be a professional or anything, it's just for fun. Bring your friends!" he added, as the bell rang, signaling the end of school.
"Okay, I'll see you Friday then."
I gathered up my books and papers and put them in my backpack. Walking out of the classroom, I was met by Nate, Cam and Zach.
"Hey guys. So for whatever reason, Tristen decided to come up to me before class ended and invite me to play football on Friday at the park. He said to bring friends, so are you guys in?"
"Yeah, sure, but that's strange that he would just all of a sudden come up to you..." Zach commented. "He used to bully people didn’t he? But I suppose people change…"
"Yeah, let's do it," Nathan added.
Cameron was being awfully quiet. "Cam, you in?"
He shrugged his shoulders. The three of us looked at each other, confused. Nathan just gave us a look that said, 'leave him be.'
We walked home talking about our new songs and when we were going to meet next and where. When we finally got to the road that would split us up, we said goodbye and walked our different ways. As I started down my road, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see Cameron, still being strangely quiet.
"Hey, um, Tom, if I were you I wouldn't go to that gig on Friday. I remember Tristen when he was younger... he would always get in trouble and he always wanted to do things first. He may seem older and more mature or whatever, but just be aware that he can be very unpredictable. The thing I would be most concerned about is the fact that he lures people into believing he's their friend and he's manipulative. Because of that, I'm not going and if you do go, Tom... Please don't do anything I wouldn't do."
And with one last somber look at me, he turned and walked down his road. Thinking about it later, I decided I'd give Tristen a chance. I mean, what's the worst that could happen?
♠ ♠ ♠
My break has now started so I'll have a lot more time to edit/post chapters! If you've been reading it all so far, thank you so much! (= Comment and subscribe, thanks guys!