Facing the Obstacles

Chapter 13

"So, as I'm sure you all know, the talent show is coming up. This will now be the fiftieth anniversary!" my overly-excited social studies teacher explained to the class.
But, being an arrogant, I-already-know-this-no-need-to-explain 17 year old, I was sitting at my desk listening to my iPod. It wasn't until I got sharply tapped on the back that I took my earplugs out.
"Tom, take the clipboard!" an annoyed girl grumbled.
It was a sign-up for the talent show, so I proceeded to write down 'Tom Norris, Zach Porter, Cameron Quiseng, Nathan Darmody and San Diego High's Michael Martinez.'
It was happening, whether they wanted it to or not. This could be the start of something big.

After class was let out, I saw Heidi practically sprinting down the hall. Ignoring her weird behavior, I happily told her what I had done.
She smiled weakly and then, gasping for air, wheezed, "Tom, it's Cameron and Nathan, they're... they started a fight with Tristen!"
"WHAT?! Where are they?" I asked, hurriedly.
"The west hallway, come on!"
We hurried in that direction, pushing through crowds of people heading home. When we reached the hallway we found them; a small crowd watching with interest.
Tristen had pinned Cameron on the ground and they were going at it. Cameron's lip was puffed up and bleeding and Tristen's eye was slowly turning from green to purple. Nathan, who had been standing by the wall clutching his arm now lunged forward to help Cam.
It appeared as if they were going to fight until someone was badly injured, so I went over and grabbed Tristen, who tried to swing at me. Heidi helped Cameron up, who gave Tristen the death glare and out of nowhere, Zach popped up and grabbed Nathan, who had started making his way over to Tristen.
"Why are you guys beating up Tristen?!" I asked angrily, looking from Nathan to Cam and back again. "He's my friend!"
"No, he's not your frickin' friend!" Nathan exclaimed. "Don't trust him! Don't give him another frickin' chance! He's gonna turn you into a crappy person too and I don't want that to happen!"
"HEY! You respect his decisions! God! How are you friends with him Tom?!" Tristen questioned, still in my grip. "He doesn't know what's best for you!"
"Shut up Tristen, I don't need you bothering him as well," I stated. Shocked I had just said that, he shut up.
"Come on guys, let's go prepare for the talent show," I added, letting go of Tristen and walking to the exit.
Seeing them confused I added, "We're entered, now come on."
Cameron and Nathan looked at each other and shrugged.
"'Kay," Cameron said, as they followed suit.
Zach stood there until Heidi grabbed him and pulled him out of the school saying, "You said you would and besides, you'll do great."

Later that night Tristen picked me up to go hang out at the park. When we got there we sat down on a bench, as he pulled out a pack of cigarettes.
"Want one?" he questioned.
"I'm go---," I started before he shoved a lit cigarette in my mouth. It was as if I was sucking on dirt mixed with sandpaper. Disgusting. Yet somehow, I couldn't pull it away... Before I knew it, I was putting another in my mouth. We sat there, staring at the kids playing around and before I could fathom it, the whole pack was gone.
I was astonished and revolted with myself. How could I consume such filthy, impure things? I left shortly afterward, waving goodbye to Tristen and puzzling over my horrid deed.
As I walked home, I grew steadily angrier and angrier with myself. My mouth was so dry, yet... I was craving more. I couldn't seriously be addicted to cigarettes, this couldn't be happening to me... NO! THIS ISN'T FRICKIN' HAPPENING TO ME!
Heidi greeted me cheerfully when I got home.
"Hey! How'd it go with Tristen? What did you do?" she questioned, motioning for me to sit by her on the couch.
"I... Well, we..." I started. Should I tell her? Or should I keep it from her? I mean, we tell each other everything...
"I think I'm gonna go to bed."

The following day was worse. After school, I hung out with Tristen again, and again we went through an entire pack. To make matters worse, he gave me a pack to take home and I couldn't help but take it.
This continued to happen for an entire week and Heidi and my friends became more and more worried. I was hanging out with Tristen a lot and they said I looked thinner.
My anger only strengthened, but I COULDN'T STOP. It was horrible, I had never felt so crappy in my entire life! Late at night when Heidi and my mom would go to bed and I would still be up, I would take some out and smoke.
My attitude became worse as well. It started when we were rehearsing that Saturday.
We were in the middle of Journey, when I started messing up big time. Everyone else stopped.
"Tom, what are you doing? You've always got the song down and now all of a sudden you're messing up all over the place!" Zach said, concerned.
Truthfully, I had just been thinking about having a smoke after this; a pack currently sitting in my pocket. Now I was angry that I had just been considering it, so I blew up.
"I'M PLAYING IT RIGHT, GOD, WHAT THE FRICK IS YOUR PROBLEM?!" I yelled at him.
"No you're not, Tom... what's been going on with you and Tristen? Ever since you started hanging out with him last week, you've changed... something's not right."
GOD, WHY HAVE I CONTINUED SMOKING?!?!?! I thundered in my head.
"NOTHING'S GOING ON, ZACH! YOU KNOW WHAT, I'M LEAVING!" I shouted, turning off my keyboard and walking out of the garage.
The four of them, plus Heidi, who had been listening to us play, came after me.
"TOM, WHAT'S GOING ON?" Michael yelled. "YOU'RE NOT ACTING LIKE THE SAME PERSON I MET TWO YEARS AGO!"
"WHY ARE YOU GETTING SKINNIER?" Nathan asked, concerned.
"IS THERE SOMETHING YOU’RE NOT TELLING US?" Cameron thundered.
I became overwhelmed and even though they didn't know about my problem, I felt like they were yelling at me because of it. I was already mad at myself; did I really need them to be as well?!
Heidi walked up to me and calmly asked, "Tom, please tell me."
I had had enough and never in a million years would I have done this if it wasn't for the cigarettes. I straight out punched her. My baby sister, the girl who was practically my twin, the person I cared about most in the entire world. Zach caught her before she hit the ground. She held her nose, blood pouring out of it as it became discolored; it was most likely broken. But instead of crying out she got up again and faced me. I know my sister, she's tougher than that and she'll treat me like bull if I deserve it.
She slapped me full across the face. She let go of her nose to reveal her injury. Her beautiful features had been turned ugly, as she scowled at me. Then she noticed the lump in my pocket and before I could stop her she had reached in and pulled out the cigarettes. Her face, identical to the guys', became shocked.
"...You're smoking?" she gasped, her face now filled with sadness. "Tom, how could you let him do this to you?"
"What do you mean?! I'm still me!" I exclaimed in annoyance.
"He has changed you Tom, and you don't even know it," she said, sadly. "I want my real brother back."
Her words were like ice; they stung and left no warmth behind. She quietly walked away, carrying the cigarettes.
Zach followed her saying, "Love, I'll take you to the hospital for your nose."
Michael, Nathan and Cameron followed them.
Nathan jabbed my shoulder hard as he walked by, saying, "I warned you about him, Tom."
Cameron stopped in front of me and quietly said, "Until you can clean up your act and your life... don't even think of coming near Nathan's garage to practice. You're out."
And my best friends in the entire world walked away from me, no sympathy whatsoever.