Facing the Obstacles

Chapter 7

"I think she was good," Cameron said.
"Mmm... too pitchy," Nathan argued.
We were in the auditorium watching the talent show and after each person finished, we would vote on how good we thought they were. Whoever got the most votes would get a trophy, which wasn't that great, but everyone did it just to show how good they were anyway.
"I bet if Heidi entered next year, she would win," Zach said to me, as we were leaving the school.
"You would say that."
"I would," he laughed.
"So how are things with you two?" Nathan asked, raising his eyebrows up and down.
Zach grabbed his collar and said in a rough voice, "Don't ever do th--," but he burst out in laughter at Nathan's scared face. "I'm kidding, Nate."
"Oh, ye-yeah... I knew that..."
"Whoa, Zach, I thought you were the nice, short guy that couldn't hurt anyone!" Cameron joked.
"Shut up, I am, don't remind me. Yeah, things are going fine; it's just hard since we’re at different schools right now."
"Well a few more weeks and it'll be summer and then, same school, here we come!"
"Oh wow, there really are only a few more weeks of school left!" I said, the happiness of summer sinking in. "Then we won't be the newbies either!"
"Yeah, we’ll get to shove kids in lockers!" Nathan chuckled.
"Sweet, I can shove the kid who beat up my sister into a locker!"
"I'll definitely help you with that," Zach added.
"I say we start devising a plan!"
"My thoughts exactly."

The summer that followed was very easygoing and nothing interesting happened. Still no new songs, but that wasn't our main goal, just practicing with Michael and getting them perfect was all that really mattered. Being at home was always boring, with Heidi always out doing stuff with Zach. I would usually just sneak out and go to one of the other guys' houses or Michael would occasionally show up at my door.
As for my parents, my mom was always hanging with friends and my dad was pretty much never home, being a business worker. If I was lucky, I'd see him about once every six months. It bugged me, he was never home and it was like I hardly knew him. I've never actually gotten to sit down with him and talk. As for Heidi, it's like she has never even met him.
Tenth grade also came and went. It was very slow, but it was eventually over. That year was filled with girls, both good and bad. Like that quadruple date... bad idea...
Well, let me back up a bit.

We were eating out in the courtyard, a few weeks into our sophomore year. Cam, Nate, Zach and I lounged around the fountain in the very middle.
"Hey Z.D.!" Heidi exclaimed, running up and quickly kissing Zach.
"Hey Dee," he smiled.
"Whippin' out the nicknames I see," Nathan commented.
"Hey," I stared Zach down. "Keep the mushy stuff on the down-low at school. That's my sister right there."
"Tom, it's fine. It was my fault anyway," Heidi assured me.
Some cute brunette walked by. She had tanned skin, a cute top and shorts on and she had a model quality about her.
"Hey, Cameron," she said, staring at the guy next to me.
She walked away. "But... how..." I said sadly.
"Don't even try. You heard her, she likes me," Cameron said, staring after her longingly.
Some cute blonde walked by and eyed Zach saying, "Hey cutie. Care to call me later?"
"HEY! YOU BACK OFF!" Heidi yelled after her. Zach laughed.
"I like you a lot better anyway."
"Oh, don't try that!" she said, smiling anyway. Zach leaned in to kiss her.
"OOPS! TIME TO GO TO CLASS, EVERYONE!" I yelled, getting up to leave and bumping into Heidi. "Oh, sorry, did I interrupt something?"
"I'll kill you Tom Norris!" she threatened as we left the courtyard.
"I love you too."

"Guys, guess what?!" Cameron said, running down the front steps. "I asked that girl out and she said yes!"
"I think it's a lucky day for everyone," Nathan said, holding a pretty redhead's gaze.
"Yeah... everyone but me! Remember? Tom's still here!" I sighed.
"No worries bro, we'll find you someone."
As if on cue, the same blonde walked by and stopping in front of me said, "You know, I take that back. You're a lot cuter."
"So you wouldn't mind if I asked you to a movie on Friday?"
"That would be great, see you there!" she said, turning to leave. "Oh and my name's Clarabelle."
"I'm Tom," I smiled, shaking her hand.
"Tom... I like that."
She walked away and I was happy once again.
"Oh, Nathan! Gotta go get your girl!" I reminded him.
"Oh, crap! I'll be right back guys!" he exclaimed, chasing after the redhead.

We started home; Tom, Cam and Nate walked up ahead as I slowed down to wait for Heidi. She caught up, beaming at me. We dived into conversation and I never looked away for a second. Heidi was so important to me and maybe I spend too much time thinking about her, but she is honestly the most amazing person I have ever met. She understood if I was busy or wanted some space and she was so sweet and caring.
Looking into her emerald eyes I couldn't help but shiver a bit. I felt like she was too perfect for me, like I didn't deserve her. But she chose me, of all people, she chose me...
The guys said I was one of the most loyal, considerate guys they've met, but, I don't know, I feel like they just say that to make me feel good. I mean, Tom is so carefree and Cameron's so thoughtful and Nathan's passionate and Michael just loves life and I feel like I... don't? I feel like I take everything too seriously and I hate that.
"Heidi," I said, after thinking about all of this. "You are more amazing than you know. You care about everyone and you don't try to be someone you're not. You befriend the friendless, you listen to people that need to rant and you're there for anyone who needs that shoulder to cry on. I hope you never leave me..." I paused, hesitant to say the words. "I love you."
She gave me the biggest hug ever and pulling away, her eyes brimming with tears, she said, "Zach, I will never leave you. Don't you dare worry about that. I love you so, so much!"
As Cameron and Nathan continued to talk about who knows what, Tom, who had obviously heard us turned around and smiled at me. "You're the best my sister could have. Thank you, Zach."
He slowed down to walk by us and the three of us walked home side by side.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you guys think? Comment and subscribe, please (=