Saint Fidelity

Macie Carter

It was a totally strange feeling, sitting in this huge room with tons of other people and feeling something other than fear. I was actually... calm. There was something about having Niall beside me that made me less afraid.

It was also different not clinging to Devilyn the entire session. I was practically across the room from her. She was sitting beside the boy I remembered as Louis, looking content. I felt a bit of separation anxiety, but it was nothing I couldn't manage.

"Mr. Horan, do you have anything to say?" The therapist asked, staring at him with looming eyes. He blinked up at her, shrugging his shoulders and smirking.

"Sure, about what?" Niall practically scoffed, scooting back in his chair, causing it to screech along the floor.

"Well, how are you feeling?"

"Well, for a person who lacks feelings, I'm feeling pretty great," he said with a grin, looking the Doctor right in the eyes, as if daring her to look away. "You know, you should probably know a little bit about the patients you're supposed to be helping here."

The therapist stared at him, and Niall stared right back. I hadn't even seen him blink since the whole conversation had started. It was... eery. She cleared her throat, and turned from him, as if she hadn't heard a word. "Okay, that'll be it for today. You can all converse among yourselves for a few minutes, then you'll be escorted out."

The room then filled with inaudible chatter, and Niall turned to me, his eyes locked on mine. "Some bullshit this is, eh?"

I nodded slightly, biting my bottom lip. "It is..."

"I hate it here," he spat, suddenly sounding very angry. "I just want to go home."

"I do too," I said quietly after a short pause. Niall got up out of his chair, and took a few steps forward, then turned around and took a few back. He started pacing, staring at the ground. "Are you okay?"

"'Course I'm okay," he muttered, running his hands through his hair, grabbing a handful and pulling slightly. "I just... hate it here. Makes me feel crazy. I'm not crazy, I know I'm not."

"But I thought you couldn't feel," I said, almost more to myself than to him. He looked at me again, and his expression softened.

"I can, in a way. I don't feel... normal emotions. I feel detached, you know? Like a fly on the wall, watching happiness, sadness... and all I feel is anger or nothing. It's a weird thing, I don't really know how to explain it..."

I nodded slowly, taking the information in. It did made sense, in a way. If he had no emotions whatsoever, he'd be a lot different than he was. "That explains it pretty well, actually."

He smiled slightly, nodding as he did so. "Good... That's good."

I looked around the room and saw a few people being taken out. I saw a nurse approaching Niall and I, in fact, and before I could say anything, one was right beside him.

"Okay, I'll take you back to your room now," the nurse said, reaching out to tap Niall on the shoulder. He looked at me, almost appearing to be shocked. He took a step back with the Nurse, and I watched helplessly. I didn't want him to go. He made me happy... for some reason.

My thoughts were broken by a strong grip on my hand. I looked up, and saw Niall staring desperately back at me. "I'll see you Saturday, right?"

I nodded, and Niall smiled slightly, squeezing my hand. Then, he was whisked away, leaving my hand tingling.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long readers, and sorry if it's got a few errors. I'm sooo tired.
Thanks for reading though!