Lucky

Can You Die Of a Broken Heart?

Cameron’s POV:

It has been three months since Molly started dating Aaron.

“Happy three month, baby.” Aaron says as he slides in next to Molly. I try not to barf.

“Is it December 5 already? And you remembered!” She hugs and kisses him. Again, I try not to barf.

“Hey, Cam.” Aaron waves and I wave back.

“Cam, how many more people can I invite?” She means her 18th birthday party. I look at the list.

“It looks like one more person.” She turns back to Aaron.

“Alright, on the 16th, I am having my birthday party. It’s at my house at 6. Will you be there?” He pulls out a calendar.

“The day after a small game, you bet I’ll be there. Anything for my girlfriend.” He kisses her and she smiles. My heart breaks again.

“Alright, he’s on the list.” I write his name in, no matter how much it kills me.

“Thank you, Cam.” The bell rings and class begins. I can’t go through the day. I crawl to next hour.

“Alright, spill. Why do you look like crap?”

“Wow, Zach, thanks. I feel so much better now.”

“What happened?” Michael asks.

“She just invited Aaron to her party and he said he would be there.”

“Cam, he’s her boyfriend. Of course he’s going to be there.” Zach is trying to be nice about it.

“But why do they have to be together?”

“Because you’re a coward who can’t admit his true feelings to her!” Michael tells me, bluntly.

“What hurts is that’s so true. But if I tell her, it’ll ruin our friendship. I can’t do that. It would hurt more than watching her with him.”

“Would it, Cam?” Zach is looking at me.

“I can’t be rejected by her.”

“You already have been.” Michael again says what I know is true.

“This whole thing just sucks. I think I’m going home.”

“No, Cam, don’t let her win. You are stronger than this. You don’t need her because there is someone out there who will love you.”

“But, Zach, I don’t want them! I want Molly, my best friend, the girl who has always been there for me.”

“You can’t have her.” He tells me.

“I hate this place.” I grab my stuff and get a pass from the teacher.

“Bye, guys. I’ll see ya later.”

“You better be at band practice tonight!” Zach yells.

“I have a broken heart, not the flu. Don’t worry, I’ll be there.” I assure him.

“Cam, why are you home from school?” My mom walks to the front door.

“Molly invited Aaron to her party.”

“They are together.”

“No, mom, I can’t take it.” She hugs me and I cry.

“I know it sucks a lot, but you will be okay. I promise you that much. No matter how bad it hurts now, you will feel better in the end.”

“I really hope so.”

“You go back to bed. I’ll bring you some lunch later if you feel like eating. After that, you’re doing the work you missed.”

“Okay, mom. Then I have band practice tonight.”

“There’s my Cameron.” She kisses me and I fall asleep.

*********************************************