Hiding in Your Eyes

Chapter One: The Break Up

Lois Lane sat at her desk in the Daily Planet, slightly distracted as she tried to write her story. She couldn’t seem to focus, not with Clark’s blue-green eyes locked on her. She looked up at him and frowned, pushing her light brown hair behind her ears.

“Stop staring, Smallville.”

Clark smiled at her. “Sorry, Miss Lane,” he said, making his voice sound shy, which he wasn’t.

Lois knew it was part of his act, cause she had helped him create an act for the people around them. The glasses that Clark Kent wore were thick framed and made it hard for people to compare him to the Man of Steel everyone knew and loved.

It was strange for Lois to think of this man as the same man she had fallen in love with, but she knew they were one and the same. The nerdy act of his was adorable though.

Lois smiled slightly before looking at Clark again. Her hazel eyes locking on his. She made a motion of pushing glasses up, and Clark smiled and pushed his glasses up his nose. His black hair fell in soft waves around his head, and Lois wanted to run her hand through it again.

This was why she was so afraid, she couldn’t seem to think about anything but him. She needed to put some space between them, enough that she could learn to gain enough control of her emotions. She had never wanted to lose her heart to the farm boy from Smallville, Kansas, but she did, and it was making life so difficult.

Clark noticed the change in Lois’s eyes and frowned at her. “What’s on you’re mind, Miss Lane?”

Lois looked at him and frowned. “We need to talk,” she whispered, so only he could hear. “Later.”

When Clark nodded slightly, Lois went back to writing, attempting to pull her thoughts away from him. It was hard to do that though, when she was writing about his alter ego.

*****

When they got off work that night, Clark showed up at Lois’s house and smiled at her. “Hey.”

Lois gave Clark a small smile before letting him inside. They walked into the living room and sat on the couch. Clark could see from Lois’s eyes that she was trying to figure something out, and he reached out to take her hand in his. “What’s going on, Lois?”

Lois looked at him and frowned. “I think we need to take some time apart,” she said. “I need some time to think about everything, and it’s hard to do that when I’m involved with both of your personalities.”

Clark frowned at her and searched her eyes for anything to show what she was feeling. “Its hard on you, isn’t it? Being with me, but pretending your not? Then having to be in love with Superman, but knowing that Superman and I are one and the same?”

Lois nodded and closed her eyes. “It’s confusing. I can’t show you any affection in public, which is hard. I just need some time to learn how to be with you without acting as though we are. I’m sorry, Smallville, but I just need some time.”

Clark nodded and pulled Lois into his arms, to hold and comfort her. “I understand,” he whispered.

Lois closed her eyes and let the man she had fallen in love with hold her. This was the man she knew, the one that was one man and not two. She could love this one without pretending, but she knew it was dangerous, knew that people couldn’t guess who Clark was.

When the phone in Lois’s kitchen rang, she frowned and stood up to go answer it. “Hello?” she asked, still slightly distracted.

“Lois? It’s Chloe. You’ll never guess who just called and told me she was back in Smallville,” Chloe said, sounding excited.

Lois looked at Clark, knowing he could hear Chloe’s words. “Who?”

“Lana Lang.”

At Chloe’s words, both Lois and Clark froze, looking at one another. Lois watched Clark, knowing he still had feelings for his first love, knowing he always would.

“Lois? You still there?”

Lois turned away from Clark to reply to Chloe. “Yeah, still here.” She felt a rush of wind and didn’t turn around. She knew what it was. Clark had left.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment and/or subscribe. I'd like to know what you think.